Houzz Logo Print
jasonvincentking

Single dad need help with apartment

Jason King
hace 6 años

Basically starting from scratch and decorating is not a strength. Need curtains for a double window. Paint is an off beige, carpet is light brown and couch is dark brown.

Comentarios (20)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

You need colour! What's your favourite? Or if you're like my husband and that question gives you anxiety, what colour do you HATE?

• Jason King
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

I love blue... hate yellow.... not a lot to work with I know.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

Are you kidding?! That is a LOT to work with! It took me 13 years of marriage to drag out of my Husband that he doesn't like yellow.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

Ok, here is a colour scheme you could accomplish. Not the style of the room--your sofa doesn't support this style. Just look at the colours they combined here:

Cottesloe · Más información

Find a chair in a mid tone blue. Toss some patterned pillows in the same blue as the chair onto the couch. Add some big green plants.

For curtains, it doesn't look like you need privacy. Do you need light control (for watching tv, keeping out hot sun, etc) or would curtains be just for show?

How old are your kids? Do you need to plan storage for their toys, for game consoles, a homework zone?

Most important, and this is important: NO MORE BROWN LEATHER. You've reached peak brown leather.

• Jason King
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

That is awesome!!! Thanks so much!

the curtains are partly for sunlight but mainly for show. My boys are 10, 6, and 4. Their bedroom is the toy/game zone and the living room is strictly a living room. There is an entertainment center a tv and the couch at this point.

• PRO
    Chazzmin Jones Interiors, RID
    hace 6 años

Hello, I offer an e-design service where I can assist you and put together a space plan even without us being in the same area. Please check out my profile and website for more information if you'd like. www.houseofchazzmin.com

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años
    God Bless you and your boys! Might want to give them some involvement so they have some ownership and will give them incentive to keep things looking good. With your neutral (Browns and beige) colors so far gives you a lot of leeway. I would find some art for above your sofa that has coloring and subject matter you like because you can then pull colors out of that for drapes and other elements. You probably need some additional seating too. I will post some ideas for you in a little bit. Bbl
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 6 años
    Advice would come more easily if we saw a floor plan.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

mock ups · Más información
    this is an "idea/concept" board to help you visualize your space a little bit. Just put this together with the idea that this place is "all boys"! So, I tried to pick "guy" tones but of course, you can replace with other colors. I just saw you like blues so I will do one with blues next. I think simple drapes/curtains with a wide stripe in a neutral beige and white would work well in the space. You don't need light control since you do have the blinds. I put a "sofa" similar to what you have as the "base and then added what we call "C" tables. These are great for small spaces and can be pulled up and the front legs slide under the sofa and create a table for iPads, laptops or dinner! They come in all styles, and price ranges. Pier 1 has sales on these every 6 months or so and you can pick up for under $100 ea. I got two for our house for $49 ea. Some fun animal print pillows and bright colored but nice bean bags for more seating for the boys. I also added a "arc" lamp. These are great for smaller spaces as well, because you can get a lot of light from just one lamp. They have one or several arc lights, that can come over the seating area for reading or ambient light. I picked art that is on wood and depicts a sunrise, symbolizing new beginnings! So hopefully this will help you out and I will get something similar in blues next! Enjoy!

• auntthelma
    hace 6 años

Beaufort, SC Home (Patterson · Más información

Cape Cod Addition · Más información

Are the boys sharing one bedroom? Built in bunks with space for stuff!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

mock ups · Más información
    Here is a "blue/green" option. As you can see when you change the art and let that drive the other choices, it makes things work together better. The trick is to pick a "theme" or main color or an inspirational piece of art and then just keep that focus and build a piece at a time. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

I tried a more cobalt blue like the photo you liked above, but that color works nicely with the Carmel leather but I don't like it with your darker brown leather. that is any I moved toward this tone of blue/green. But you can use the basic concepts and I like to have people start with art because it is usually the most difficult to find. That way, once you find that other things are much easier to locate. It is a "process".

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

(little typos above - I mean "that is why I moved...")

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

I agree with Flo about the cobalt. I tried to find a pic with a more light teal/turquoise colour but they were all *very* feminine. And I have zero idea board building Skills :-)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

I think a Levi's jeans colour would work, too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

I tried the Levi look as well, but with the dark brown leather, it is too dull IMO. Maybe if paired with some bold prints it could work, but just didn't in the idea boards I tried.

• groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Jason, there is nothing in your ideabooks. Start a living room ideabook and save your favorite living rooms on Houzz. Then give us photos of the room from every angle--four wide shots should do it--and we'll help you place your furniture and source the rest of what you need.

Jason King agradeció a groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    hace 6 años

Some different looks with brown sofas:

Belsize Park Mansion Apartment · Más información

A Family Friendly Living Room in Devon · Más información

Minneapolis loft apartment · Más información

The Sierra Showhome (Calgary, Alberta) · Más información

Jason King agradeció a groveraxle
  • mrykbee
    hace 6 años

Instead of the blue (too dark) or aqua (too feminine?) try something like bamboo green. Kind of like the Houzz logo color.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.