Houzz Logo Print
annablue516

Pillow Placement for my Brown Sectional Couch

Anna P
hace 6 años

Trying to give a pop of color to a drab brown sectional for a FR. Bought a bunch of pillows, and would love some help, size, add or subtract. I just took a picture of all of them, no placement was done. Thank you!

Comentarios (43)

• Rue
    hace 6 años
    I think a little mustard here and there would add a little pop.
  • hbfn
    hace 6 años

TOO many pillows!!!

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

in last pic, keep 1/4/7 the rather dull oranges. how about these?

Amazon.com: Shinnwa 3 Pcs Cotton Linen Accent Decorative Throw Pillow Covers Cus · Más información
    or
    Amazon.com: WOMHOPE® 4 Pcs - 18" Cotton Linen Geometric Pattern Printing Throw C · Más información
    you can buy them separately they all cost <$25.

another lumbar

Decorative Pillows & Chair Pads, Home Decor | Kohl's · Más información
    or i can give a created set to go with them, just let me know. I would not do the white though it is too light.

Anna P agradeció a havingfun
  • calidesign
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Use just two of the largest size pillows (far right white and far left red) with one lumber pillow (floral print). You can add more pattern and color with large artwork above the sectional.

Anna P agradeció a calidesign
  • Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

to all: thank you, just wanted to clarify, i don't intend on keeping all of the pillows, and the salmon is more burnt orange, i kind of like the ikat prints, and I should get rid of the white (my son loved the softness of this one (kind of furry), how about this one in a different color). Thank you, I do appreciate the help. :)

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@having fun...yes, I do like the pillows you showed me, the first set, and last set specifically...thank you!

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

the ikat print has a gray background with orange, and gold, sorry the pics aren't that great, i should retake them in natural light

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@tatts...I think your comments are bit over the top...they are just pillows, that I purchased to play with, as said, twice already, I am NOT keeping all the pillows, and they were NOT placed in any particular way. I came here to get advice, as to what to keep, size, suggestions, etc, NOT to get berated. Really rude first thing in the morning, go have a cup of coffee, and relax...

• Maureen
    hace 6 años

Anna: I edited my original comments, but not sure what you would have seen, so I deleted and adding what I think may be more helpful (and pretty!). Try the white fuzzy one in the middle and on each end, the grey/white/mocha/salmon and the solid salmon with the narrow fringe. In my opinion though, I think a rust may be nicer than the salmon choice and not fond of the pattered choices either. Look for a softer/calmer with more of a natural feel. Combinations of pillow colors below would be really attractive and add a lovely throw. Hit and miss until you get it right!

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thank you Maureen, your comments and photos, were a wealth of information. I guess I was seduced by the brightness of Spring/Summer colors :), but I see your point, do you feel the pillow size is right, the smaller are 18" and the larger is 20"

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Maureen, how do I bit of Spring into the mix, beautiful palette in your photo, but it seems more suited for autumn?

• lhutch13
    hace 6 años
    Anna, what are the other accent colors of your room? Paintings, chairs, etc.
  • gustaviatex
    hace 6 años

Cute video by Emily Henderson on Mixing Patterns using couch pillows as the example. Good tips. How to Mix Patterns: Styling

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    @gustaviatex....new house ... haven't done much inherited sofa have to work with it for now here are some of the other elements
  • Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I see the salmon has to go is this pillow considered salmon too
  • Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    @having fun...yes let me know if you can create a set
  • Maureen
    hace 6 años

Since you are drawn to these colors...how about the white fuzzy in the middle with the rolled in front and on each end the solid salmon with the grey patterned one in front or vice versa. You should be fine, as long as you can incorporate these colors elsewhere in your room.

Anna P agradeció a Maureen
  • kjoy1
    hace 6 años

My favorite are the last two on the far right in this picture:)

Maybe that pairing on either end...

3, 4, 6 paired together for middle section

or

3, 4, 8 with pink throw

I could be totally wrong...colors on monitors are tricky:)

• PRO
    Linda Stotts Interiors
    hace 6 años

I am linda with Interiors by Design. We all are going pillow crazy. But the real issue is use them sparingly so people can sit on couch without trying to find a place because a pillow is in their way. Use different sizes and shapes. Keep with my rule of 1-2-3. That means use three colors and they should be repeated at times in color. But if you have a dramatic or favorite use it as number 4 as the Wow one. The placement needs to make sense but it also needs to be useable on any area of the couch. So no particular place but again if you use three basic colors and using the brown on some it will always be fine. If I may suggest take them all off. Add one at a time add them to the couch. Look at it with a second pillow. Decide if those two look good together. If so add another one that has the color or colors of one and two. Or if it does not feel right do not use at first. On the ends of the sofa use larger pillows. I would say 23x23 or so with all having soft inserts. Then add 12x12's etc and a Lombard at Abt 20x12 I would only use Anna's pillow color suggestions. Maximum pillow count maybe 7 or so. Do not overload. Good luck

Anna P agradeció a Linda Stotts Interiors
  • havingfun
    hace 6 años

i was taught here that you should have 3 that are 18 or 20" corner and each side then a lumbar for the arm ends. Having said that I have seen beautiful multiples. one woman actually bought every pillow i showed and put in different sizes on her couch, it was like 7 or 8 pillows and it was so pretty i wept. but it does sorta fill the couch. I think it is a personal thing, and i would think it has a lot to do with how much you use the couch. if you just pass by it as you show the house and rarely dressed up perch on the corner? why not fill it up? pillows can be beautiful. and some people are willing to do the whole put them on take them off all the time, i think most of us are not.

Now, i am confused. I thought you liked the salmon color? i matched all of mine to keeping those 3. I would be happy to make up another whole set, what color or colors did you want? what prints do you prefer? I have lots of themes. or which do you hate? some hate birds or animals. oh, i can see what i can do with ikat, but other colors would be helpful and i will replace the fuzzy. whites and really lights just look like holes on a dark couch.

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@havingfun...once again thank you. Yes, I read that too about the number of pillows, but I do agree, it's about functionality...just with all those pillows, just for playing of course, lol, my family looked upset when it came down to sitting on the couch, as this is the family room, that many or even close to that is not going to work. I hate that the sectional has that console thingy, makes it look odd to place a lumbar, or center pillow to the left of it. I think because of its size, I should do 20" squares at the outer ends, or do I use 20" squares throughout the sofa, with one lumbar in the center. The sectional is pretty large, so perhaps 7 would work. As far as the salmon, it doesn't have to be. I just feel the sectional is so drab, obviously not my personal style, I wanted to have a bit of fun, and bring it to life, thus, that color scheme. I thought of leaning towards a rustic semi-industrial look if that helps. I do like ikat prints. I love animal prints but family does not :( I just wanted to make it look cool, i.e., chic even. I know the room needs a lot more, i.e., artwork, etc. I'm looking to get a comfy reading chair for the corner, and floor lamp, and I know some would say, I should get the artwork first, but I decided to start with pillows, (just to think I thought that would be easy....sheesh....what a firestorm over pillows lol). Thanks for all your help....and for listening to my rant :)

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

another way to bring pillows in would be to get extra large, if children still sit on the floor? and then place under table when not in use.

Sundance Throw Pillow, Tangerine · Más información

Oversized Blush Mongolian Faux Fur Lumbar Pillow | World Market · Más información
    because they have a lot of bright in them you do not get the white hole effect, imo. just mix your other salmon colored pillows in. i think i have one more intriguing set. i will put it out if i do. and yes go 18-20".

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks so much....yes, send other set as well :)

• jbtanyderi
    hace 6 años
    Slip-cover the back cushions with an interesting te true or print. You don't want the room to look like a cushion sales room. A couple of bright squares and/or lumbar cushions are all you need.
  • katinparadise
    hace 6 años

The Sundance throw pillow that having fun showed is a wonderful option for your sectional. I would get two, one for each end, with either a solid tangerine or light blue to go behind them. Then I think this striped lumbar pillow would be perfect for the center. It's only $7.95!

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/imp/364406?cm_mmc=GooglePla--ProdAds--2017-_-Main&code-macs=MM7XW091&SourceCode=MM7XW091&utm_source=GooglePla&utm_medium=ProdAds&utm_campaign=MM6XW09&CAWELAID=120245390000045121&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=38304732905&CATCI=pla-303247918250&CATARGETID=120245390000316972&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjw85DIBRCy2aT0hPmS1jkSJAC1m9UvD73aUQgFy1wqHtFkIYsgsH381PyfSEBFlY9X6XkBNxoC41vw_wcB

Anna P agradeció a katinparadise
  • kjoy1
    hace 6 años

Anna P...this is a cute combo...what are your favorites? Curious...did you ever find coffee table and chair for your purple glam room...love that room:)

Anna P agradeció a kjoy1
  • kjoy1
    hace 6 años

Love this look on a leather couch as well...more rustic.

Anna P agradeció a kjoy1
  • havingfun
    hace 6 años

oooh kjoy i love those 2. op i can a set of those, but you have to let me start deleting soon or it will get way too full

Anna P agradeció a havingfun
  • Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@havingfun...i think I'm leaning towards that joss and main tangerine with the blush mongolian..what other pillow should i use with the joss and main..i do love the geometrics though beautiful kjoy! I will keep that on the back burner for the future.

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

how about a zig zag with those?? what do you think

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

I am a bit confused, did you mean joss and main or the sundance tangerine?

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@havingfun...sorry the sundance tangerine

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@111ideahound....no, as pointed ou,t too much white for that fireplace

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@111ideahound....thanks for your complement on my rug, it was pricey, but it makes me smile, and it feels wonderful too :)

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

okay, here goes, need more advice for this room...since this is a family room, and I have many beautiful pics I've taken, could I create a gallery wall of photos, or does this space really require a commanding piece of artwork? (I think I know the answer to this one already ;)

• Maureen
    hace 6 años

Based on your other photos of the room, it seems like you have a lot of smaller items on the walls already so I would suggest grounding the room by going with a large piece of artwork instead. As you are heading towards achieving a spring color theme, the art will be your best way to tie it all together and make sense of your pillow choices, as there should be a connection to other items in the room.

Anna P agradeció a Maureen
  • havingfun
    hace 6 años

Sundance Tangerine 18" Throw Pillow · Más información

Decorative Pillows & Accent Pillows | Wayfair · Más información

Amazon.com: ECSEO Cute Flamingos Decorative Cushion Covers Throw Pillow Cases 18 · Más información

Sundance Throw Pillow, Tangerine · Más información

All Pillows & Throws | Joss & Main · Más información

Oversized Blush Mongolian Faux Fur Lumbar Pillow | World Market · Más información

I worry about the lightness, but I believe they have enough color to carry it off.

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Love them...I'm so inspired

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@Maureen...those pics are beautiful...i need artwork badly...i will post more photos tomorrow....I need a big chair for the corner too...

• Anna P
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@Maureen...where is that art piece from? thx!

• Maureen
    hace 6 años

Hi Anna, no idea...sorry. This was a photo from Pinterest and wouldn't have a reference. Something like that wouldn't be hard to find though. Good luck.

• robert567
    hace 3 años

Are you allowed to sit on the sofa? So many uncomfortable pillows.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.