Houzz Logo Print
steve_west74

Is this picture rail original 1930s?

Steve West
hace 7 años
I have a few rooms in my house with picture rails. Those upstairs are rather crudely done so I will replace them ...but the one in my pic is in the lounge. I am holding up an offcut I found in an old cupboard. It is covered in lead paint which I had started to strip (peel off). All in all, plastering will be much easier if I remove the picture rail and then replace with a new one of the same profile, which I will then paint. Is this somehow wrong if it is the original and therefore should I painstakingly peel the paint off, rub it back, plaster around it and repaint???

I'm worried I'm taking this 'original feature' thing too far.

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Anonymous
    hace 7 años
    Chances are that this is original. I wouldn't worry about removing the picture rail. If you need to re-plaster and you keep it in situ you will lose some of the profile behind the plaster. It will be very difficult to create a successful plaster job with it in place. Remove it carefully, strip it if you can be used be bothered (it is a lovely shape) and refit. Alternatively get a timber merchant to cnc copy the profile or a fibrous plaster company to mold copy the rail and produce in plaster.
  • Jonathan
    hace 7 años
    I say you should bin this with all of its layers of poisonous paint and replace it with new.
    I don't think it is necessary to have a faithful reproduction as it is not ornate.
    Personally I would consider if you ever replace it. The room will look taller without the picture rail. Is there nice coving? If not I would spend the money on that instead.
  • Steve West
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks to both of you. I will strip it out I think and get a similar moulding in timber and refit it as new. You've both helped me not to feel bad about it.

Jonathan, I was thinking about a simple coving as a further addition. There was never coving there but since I've looked on here, some people have successfully used coving AS WELL as a picture rail. I'm happy with the ceiling not looking that high as I can lift it with white paint .
  • Jonathan
    hace 7 años
    Was trying to suggest that coving might be a better decorative option than a picture rail.
    There is lots of choice online. Something Art Deco might be in keeping but whatever you choose keep an eye on the proportions- the coving should come down the wall by a similar amount as the skirting height.
  • Steve West
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Many thanks for your interesting response.

I have black and chrome door handles but someone has painted them. I tried dipping one in caustic soda and I ruined it. What is the best way to remove the paint?
  • PRO
    Exploit Space
    hace 7 años

A company called Rest Express make two amazing paint removing products, one is Caustic based the other is not. Have you tried ordinarily Nitromores? (Not sure what its made off so be careful!

• Jonathan
    hace 7 años
    Cornice- naaa it certainly is ridiculous to suggest that you have to have a big room to take coving when it is found routinely in room like hallways which by design are smaller than most living rooms.
    Whilst I agree that the Deco period was before this house was built I suggested this style because firstly my grandparents had it in their small 1930's semi, it is less ornate than Victorian and Georgian coving which is abundantly available and because the profile came down the wall by a small amount that I am sure will echo the proportions of your skirting.
    I have included an image of the type of coving suggested by Steve which would also look great- similar images can be found with an image search for Art Deco coving.
    Ultimately anything you put into your house now is a personal preference and you don't have to be faithful to the original period - if that were the case I would currently be stoking a coke fire rather than controlling my gas central heating with an app on my iPhone.
  • PRO
    Exploit Space
    hace 7 años

You should see my coke fire Jonathan its a peach ;-)

• jackiep3
    hace 7 años

What lovely coving. Really caught me by surprise as I am not a fan. Shallow and not too imposing, I would have that in my room.

• Jonathan
    hace 7 años
    Jon- sorry I mistakenly called you Steve- thanks for the offer to see your coke fire- I might take you up on it sometime.
  • Joanna Biddolph
    hace 7 años

That picture rail matches what I have in my 1927 house and mine is the original. I really like its simplicity and will be keeping mine and reinstating it in the dining room (the one room in the house that the previous owner stripped of its originality). The original fireplace went, too. I'm on the hunt to replace that. My picture rails are all very slightly wonky but I get pleasure out of knowing its been here all the time.

• Steve West
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I think I'm going to remove the picture rail and replace it with a new one with the same profile after the room has been skimmed. There is a small company down the road who can copy mouldings and reproduce them. It would save me a lot of time to just get it reproduced as I doubt I could get the original down without damaging it. Once it is painted, it will look great
  • Joanna Biddolph
    hace 7 años

Good idea! I'm hoping to add to mine - on walls which I've moved back and where there are now gaps and in the room from which it was removed. I like it as it is so simple but it adds character and authenticity. I hope I find someone who can copy it, too.

• Steve West
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I will let you know what they charge. This company is based between the villages of Stockton and Long Itchington near Rugby in Warwickshire. I think it is called 'Timber Mouldings' but I was just going to pop in.
  • Joanna Biddolph
    hace 7 años

That would be great, thank you. If they do it it must be that others do it, too, so I'll start a hunt when I know the rough cost. Good luck!

• PRO
    Exploit Space
    hace 7 años

Just so you know, these parts are made on a tool called s spindle;e (small scale manufacturing). if you really really want to get the shape "just so" the supplier will be able to have a profile made for you, a new profile blade for a spindle machine will cost between £200 and £300. They may also have a minimum order OR they might ask you to pay a modest amount towards "set up time" (changing the blade over, etc.)

I use Ternex in Welwyn for this sort of thing, their existing profiles can be seen here...https://www.flickr.com/photos/exploitspace/albums/72157669236158295 

• Joanna Biddolph
    hace 7 años

That's very useful advice, thank you.

• Steve West
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Just to update you. The company in my village that do timber mouldings have quoted me £1.70/m to produce this moulding in the picture!! It's brilliant.

I also found the company Reborn Bakelite, which have been helpful to source more door handles and they gave me free advice to restore my existing ones
  • PRO
    Exploit Space
    hace 6 años

great price

• Joanna Biddolph
    hace 6 años

What a result, Steve West! Good to know.

• James Pollett
    hace 4 años

Do you still have this picture rails?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.