Houzz Logo Print
kathyb0807

Best height for wainscotting

Kathy
hace 7 años

We are building a new house. I am doing board and batten style wainscoting in the hallways. The builder has it as 48" in our plans. I've never had wainscoting before and I've seen it done at different heights. Is 48" acceptable or too high? The photo below is not my house.. just an example I found. Thanks in advance!

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    Humberto Delgado
    hace 7 años

Hello Kathy, wow that is high I always see it at 36 inches. If your room is wide and the ceiling is high then I guess 48" would make since. Did you ask the builder why 48" tall?

• Kathy
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I haven't asked. I'm assuming it probably has something to do with efficient use of materials, less waste or something? I sort of think 36" looks short, maybe 42 is the sweet spot?

• PRO
    Linda Stotts Interiors
    hace 7 años

I always put the wainscotting high vs, at 36 inches. The only think you have to be careful of, is the light switches and be sure the height of your wainscott is not interfering with those switches or any other electrical component on those walls. Putting electrical through wainscotting is not easy so look at that height and put the wainscott at 42 if you can. Linda Stotts

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

I love wainscoting!!! Its traditionally 38"-42" but there is no standard. I think the higher the better in my opinion, especially in hallways, entry's and high traffic areas. Saves the wall and easy to clean.

• tatts
    hace 7 años

In Craftsman-style houses, it's not unusual to see paneled wainscoating like that go up to 5 feet. That's pretty common.

• sharayak
    hace 7 años
    I'm a graphic designer so I automatically follow the rule of thirds, and personally I would put it one third up the wall of that doesn't interfere with windows or switches. But I guess that would be a chair rail.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

My 2 cents, the higher the wood, the tougher the decorating. I would go low like 33" roughly with a wood look. Just easier to use art above, and less trouble with electricals, etc. Sometimes easier is better. Personal choice. I agree some "styles" lean to the higher, so do some research on style if you want to be "pure" on style.

• User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

hayley is right. Optimum height would be around the height of a handrail.

• Kathy
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks everyone. I am going to ask the builder about 42" instead of 48". It will still be on the higher side like Craftsman style, but won't cut light switches and 8 foot walls in half. This will be in hallways, one of which will see a lot of dog and human traffic coming in and out. A little height will be good for clean up.

• PRO
    Humberto Delgado
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I have a question for the houzzers? If the the ceiling height is 8 feet and the WC is 42" high, the wall color will not be two toned correct?

• Linda Kincaid
    hace 3 años

I've seen a lot of trim finishers using 42 inches for wainscoting. board and batten is definitely taller like up 3/4'th of the room where wainscoting is usually 32-26. But i've seen it at all hight's. anything goes now a days. I just put it at 42 inches up my stair case. the walls are 17 feet tall. but then the hall way that the top has only 8 foot ceilings. It all depends on what you like. there are several u-tubers out there watch them and see what you like. look at some southern new home tours. or go to open houses for new homes. take a measuring tape with you. I know this it long past but if anyone else is wondering.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.