Houzz Logo Print
anjeleeeee

Handrail and post

Anjelina W
hace 7 años
Hi, I love your work. I am currently shopping for a mahogany handrail and starting post. Do you recommend this handrail model with the spindles that I purchased (see pics) ? And do you recommend the starting post that I found (see pic) or something thinner like the model # 255 from Juliusblum.com??? Or something else??
Should I put a middle post to or my spindles all the way from top to bottom?
Thanks for your advice!!

Pics follow
Mahogany handrail on wrought iron · Más información

Comentarios (10)

• Anjelina W
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Pics:
    1- my wood staircase handrail and spindles (steps and la ding will be all white marble).

2- my spindles not painted yet with the possible starting post or the starting post #155 from juliusblum.com
    http://www.juliusblum.com/catalog/?page_num=45

3- black and white staircase pic to show how my spindles will be installed.

I also wanted the handrail to finish like a volute but going down.

Thanks for your input!!
  • PRO
    Custom Handrails
    hace 7 años

Hello, and thanks for the compliment.

The beauty of the handrail that you liked, is the graceful
    flow from top to bottom without interruptions. To achieve that with your staircase,
    I would eliminate all newel posts and replace the awkward gooseneck transitions
    with a continuous flowing curved wreath.
    The handrail profile and the baluster choice becomes a little more
    personal and in keeping with the rest of the house but I would say your choice
    would be fine.

• Anjelina W
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks for your advice.
    So is it better to just continue the handrail to the basement on the same side instead of ending with a voluted handrail then putting the basement handrail on the other side on the wall alone?
  • PRO
    Custom Handrails
    hace 7 años

This is what I would picture for your stair with the exception of the fact that your stair is the opposite turn at landing and your is a wall rail on lower stair.

• Anjelina W
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Even though my main entrance is on the landing and not downstair?? When you come in, the first thing you see is the front of the stair with the starting post.
  • Anjelina W
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Yes I was talking about vertical volute. If I put the big post as starting post and I put my handrail on the same side of my stair but detached will be a good option. I thing that all attached in one handrail will be the best but it's so hard to find mahogany handrail and the person to do it. Can you tell me which mahogany you used on the handrail. The contractor told me there's many type of mahogany!!!???
  • PRO
    Custom Handrails
    hace 7 años

I have used sapele as a mahogany substitute and like it very much. This photo shows a sapele handrail.

I would be happy to quote your handrail, you can also contact me thru my website.

• Anjelina W
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I thought that sape le is a type of mahogany!! I would love to make the contract with you but I live in Montreal Canada!!!
  • PRO
    Custom Handrails
    hace 7 años

Taken from the "Wood Database" website.

" Sapele is a commonly exported and economically important African wood species. It’s sold both in lumber and veneer form. It is occasionally used as a substitute for Genuine Mahogany, and is sometimes referred to as “Sapele Mahogany.” Technically, the two genera that are commonly associated with mahogany are Swietenia and Khaya, while Sapele is in the Entandrophragma genus, but all three are included in the broader Meliaceae family, so comparisons to true mahogany may not be too far fetched."

I offered sapele as a substitute for "genuine" mahogany.

All that I would need is an accurate drawing of your stairway in plan and elevation and I could manufacture your handrail, preassemble in my shop with rail bolts and dowels and knock down for shipping with precise cad drawings for location of critical elements for your rail installer.

This is what I do, and I have sent handrail as far as the state of Washington and Alaska and have yet to have one sent back. The two critical elements to make this work are an accurate drawing and a good installer. I would not take this on without both of these qualifications. Most of my work is with stair builder who meet these qualification but I have done work with homeowners who were comfortable with the requirements.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.