Houzz Logo Print
cstillings

Which rug?

cstillings
hace 7 años

I got started binding this light gray remnant and like it.....but then I found this great jute rug for an incredible price so I bought it, too. Which looks better? (FYI: cabs in back are coming out.)

Comentarios (56)

• Geneviève
    hace 7 años

Safavieh Clark Cocktail Tufted Ottoman, Mushroom Taupe · Más información

• Geneviève
    hace 7 años

Surya Paramount Par-1051 7'10"x11'2" Rug · Más información

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    hace 7 años

The first picture here shows a nice jute rug with some great furniture. The second picture, both pictures are designs of ours, shows a nice patterned rug with brown in it. It might help to look through some other designs to aid you in your selection.

Classic Inspired · Más información

Old Meets New Build · Más información

cstillings agradeció a Nandina Home & Design
  • cstillings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Perfect! Thank you!

• PRO
    Pasadena Mercantile & Woodworks | Pasadenaville
    hace 7 años

I think you might want to consider a bigger rug

cstillings agradeció a Pasadena Mercantile & Woodworks | Pasadenaville
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Love the jute rug...but you really need to replace that coffee table.....this would look nice very budget friendly!! Will make a big difference:)

cstillings agradeció a Home Interiors with Ease
  • shirlpp
    hace 7 años

I agree with Home Interiors, replace that coffee table. Sorry, but it looks DIY'ish. I do a lot of DIY stuff also, however, some things, need to be purchased.

cstillings agradeció a shirlpp
  • cstillings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Love these suggestions. New table it is!

• De silva Georgem
    hace 7 años
    Paint the coffee table to resemble the furniture and get a thick dark glass overlapping 2" over its sides all around. Both the rugs are out. Get something with designs that matches both furniture and pillows.
    cstillings agradeció a De silva Georgem
  • jfk66
    hace 7 años

I think you need a bright accent color among the pillows. There's a lot of brown and beige going on. I'm sure you'll find something. I agree about a glass coffee table. Wood would be more brown. Jute is lighter and in the same color family. You're on your way.

cstillings agradeció a jfk66
  • tr1anglessk
    hace 7 años
    Wow! You all have excellent ideas helping this homeowner out!
  • hollywaterfall
    hace 7 años

I don't think either look bad but the lighter one is better because your room is very dark. Consider playing with some other colors to brighten things up. Browns and blacks and even creams are very neutral. Throw in a vibrant hue of green or blue maybe with some pillows or accent pieces.

• Geneviève
    hace 7 años

If I may add :)

move the sofa a bit away from the wall there seem to be plenty of space for it.

cstillings agradeció a Geneviève
  • Maria Campos
    hace 7 años
    I do not like either... what about a tan colour? And agree with previous comment, coffee table needs to be a warmer colour. Maybe that would help to tie in with the warmer rug you purchased.
    cstillings agradeció a Maria Campos
  • jihines
    hace 7 años
    Also, you need a larger lamp. The one in the photo is way too small for the furniture.
    cstillings agradeció a jihines
  • Maureen
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Before purchasing a new coffee table, maybe add larger wheels and distress grey The jute rug would suit that look (adjust so both couches' front legs are resting on it). Then the look can be pulled together with less and great pillows. I would change the lamp shade or lamp and add a large piece of artwork.

Bermondsey House · Más información

cstillings agradeció a Maureen
  • akamargaret92
    hace 7 años

Wonderful and helpful suggestions!

• molldoll2
    hace 7 años

I don't like either rug. The room needs some pattern with some color as you have solid colors in couches and pillows and all seems to blend into the flooring.

cstillings agradeció a molldoll2
  • PRO
    sentivany design
    hace 7 años

Grey!!!! the brown looks too 70's

cstillings agradeció a sentivany design
  • Doreen Shann
    hace 7 años

Seems like there is too many earth colors which, in my opinion, makes it a little drab. The lighter rug works for me, and I agree with the person who said the pallet coffee table was too white. I think I would paint the walls a very light cream. Everything is too "brown". Don't know if this helps or not.

cstillings agradeció a Doreen Shann
  • perthadigm
    hace 7 años

I often see people coming to this forum for help with what they like but don't know how to make it work and at the end the advice they get is to throw everything out.

You said at the beginning "you like it", meaning its your style and all you want to do is to make it work. You bought the coffee table because you like it that means you keep it. When I was studying design my lecturer used to say stick to the brief even if you don' t like it because that's how great designs are birthed.

Your table is from a rustic look while your chair is of a classic nature. I would try something like this using the same color wood like the table

and add color pillows on the sofas . Once this is done I would again bring in the 2 rugs to test out to my own personal taste. Bring out your side side table from hiding add a lamp that matches and accentuate your choice of a rug and splashes of your own artifacts. Keep playing around and you will know in your heart when you are done. Best wishes.

cstillings agradeció a perthadigm
  • Tanya
    hace 7 años

I do believe you've got two different seasons going on here. The pillows and coffee table say warm weather so I'd go with the jute rug. The sofa says winter so the remnant rug. I agree that you might want to reconsider the coffee table, or color to work better in the room.

cstillings agradeció a Tanya
  • cstillings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

You guys are AWESOME! So helpful and I'm super grateful.

• w93639
    hace 7 años
    The pallet coffee table is fun and interesting. The suggestion of larger black rubber wheels will pick up the black in your couch and even out the height proportions.
    Pick pillow fabric that coveys the "feel" you want for the room, and then paint the coffee table one of the softer colors from the pillow fabric.
    Could you stencil black and chocolate brown patterns onto the jute rug to bring in curves and pattern detail ? ( Big paisleys ?) You mentioned binding the other rug, could you add a patterned border to the jute rug ?
    Google how to stencil jute rugs for ideas. Good luck !
    cstillings agradeció a w93639
  • w93639
    hace 7 años
    What about coral on the coffee table
    Benjamin Moore Tuscan coral or salmon peach

And a fun fabric on the pillows ?
  • User
    hace 7 años

I feel I should mention the feel/texture. I had jute in a room and although it looked great, it eventually made us not really want to be in there. Especially if you walk barefoot around the house or sit on the floor. Or, if you have pets...or kids. I agree that the table and couches do not feel right together, but the suggestion of glass hanging over the edge is another not-kid-friendly issue. A different style like the iron round one would be great. Colored pillows would be good, but in my opinion very bright colors "cheapen" a room. I'd go with mustard and/or olive green. As you can see with the beige-y ones, the couch disappears and the pillows are too prominent. "Yes" to a large piece of art, and a new lamp. Have fun with whatever you do!

cstillings agradeció a User
  • havingfun
    hace 7 años

OK, I too get the point that you started here, how far should we deviate. i hate the small wheels and have to say before you invest too much that it will be out of style before long. so a slightly darke - taupe paint color maybe a blue? larger wheels. i do not like jute either. your gray seems so light. lets see if i can work this with pillows, yours are too light and i can replace for $25 or less. here are a couple sets, i can get you some lumbar and you will be set.

Amazon.com: pillow set of 4: Home & Kitchen · Más información

Amazon.com: HomeChoice Cotton Linen Red Fox Lover Flying Kite 18 By 18 Inches(18 · Más información
    both children and i love these, there are a couple more would definitely fill the couches and bring the couch and rug closer.

I can also give you a rug if you like.

some tables and lamps

Abby Coffee Table | Joss & Main · Más información

End Tables | Joss & Main · Más información

Modern Garden Stools | AllModern | AllModern · Más información

Lamps For Every Room Sale | Joss & Main · Más información

Lighting · Más información

cstillings agradeció a havingfun
  • User
    hace 7 años

Forgot to say one thing...find your artwork first, then pick up colors from that for pillows, but not too many. :) Artwork doesn't have to be colored either...some large metal piece would look good too. In that case, select pillows that don't overpower the room. Shop thrift stores for artwork. Ones in my area have incredible pieces at great prices, you just have to check often!

cstillings agradeció a User
  • Jordan Daykin
    hace 7 años

I prefer the light rug and would agree that swapping out the pillows and toning down the white palate coffee table would help make things more cohesive

cstillings agradeció a Jordan Daykin
  • Sam Brammer
    hace 7 años

I think the first rug looks better and fills the room more!

cstillings agradeció a Sam Brammer
  • w93639
    hace 7 años
    Wow, so many great ideas...
    If you can keep both the rugs, you could use the two season idea!
    Stenciled Jute for the spring -summer with lighter fabric pillows ( linen or cotton )
    And the grey for late fall and the holidays with faux fur throw and raw silk/ satin/ taffeta pillows
    If you are keeping one -- and you like to DIY - I like the jute -
    Have fun!
  • floridaisland
    hace 7 años

I agree there is a bit much brown. Need some artwork and if on a budget, there are some creative DIY abstracts on this site that you might consider doing yourself - and wall art does not have to be "a painting". Use some colors that you like. Then you could paint the jute rug with a design including one or more of those colors and toss in a couple more pillows to pick up the color. I'd try for some lighter (or brighter) colors to lighten up the room unless you like it dark. Here is a "how to" for the jute: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/which-rug-dsvw-vd~4535677[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/which-rug-dsvw-vd~4535677)

The lamp is a bit short. You could display some books under it to raise it. Both rugs are a bit small. Put the front legs of sofas on the carpet. Pull the sofa away from the wall instead of moving the rug. The coffee table replacement ideas here are good. Could also put a top on, batting around it and cover with fabric (stapler). Tuft the top (easier than you think!) and you have an ottoman style that better matches your furniture.

cstillings agradeció a floridaisland
  • PRO
    Matt Dougan Design
    hace 7 años

You can keep either rug, they can both work with the right adjustments to the coffee table. and other items in the room. Personally i'd paint he coffee table darker as the white is just too stark for your furniture an room setting, or get a more traditional coffee table to go with your furnishings. I'd do less pillows and fins a couple of nice ones with a bit more contrast. Of course once you get rid of cabinet in the corner and put some appropriate art on the wall above the sofa it will change dramatically. You have a lot of good suggestions on here, check them all out, play with it all and most of all, whatever makes you happiest in the space is the most important thing.

cstillings agradeció a Matt Dougan Design
  • neag
    hace 7 años

I agree with bring sofas away from wall.would make room look bigger and seating area more conversation friendly then sofa feet would be on edge of rug

cstillings agradeció a neag
  • neag
    hace 7 años

And print cushions for sure

cstillings agradeció a neag
  • Jamie Frater
    hace 7 años

Second rug is 100% the best option as it balances nicely with the walls.

cstillings agradeció a Jamie Frater
  • PRO
    arch_regie
    hace 7 años
    second photo
    cstillings agradeció a arch_regie
  • Tab Anderson
    hace 7 años
    a bigger lighter rug. to break up the darks. make sure the table isnt painted to close to the rug color. it will look all washed together. the idea of foam and fabric is pretty good. maybe a fabric with browns but very little brown, mostly lighter. maybe pops of color to counter the dark? work a lighter colored rug to that.
    cstillings agradeció a Tab Anderson
  • PRO
    Niche Interiors
    hace 7 años

Definitely the second one! Lighter and more interesting variation.

cstillings agradeció a Niche Interiors
  • HWALMAY
    hace 7 años
    DON'T REPLACE YOUR TABLE....That's you like ...go with it. Feet from Home Depot or Lowes would add the needed height....If you want to keep the table white add white somewhere else in the room.... a painting, vase,lamp, pillows. The lighter rug would add some contrast the otherwise dark space. Have fun with it and Good luck!
    cstillings agradeció a HWALMAY
  • PRO
    Furnishr
    hace 7 años

I would rather go with a lighter shade for the rug, also I believe you should remove the coffee table. It doesn't quite match the style of your living room. Rather, go for a round and clear coffee table. Too much brown will look overwhelming. Add light colors to enhance your room.

cstillings agradeció a Furnishr
  • jbsilver
    hace 7 años

Neither. The furniture is one color. You may find a rug that has multi colors. I'd find one to match coloring in the drapery provide its not the same color as the furniture. A pattern with liven up the room. If drapery has some of the same color that the furniture has all the better. You could go modern, geo or floral with either drapes or rug provided the colors in both has some of the color that the furniture is in my opinion

cstillings agradeció a jbsilver
  • margocroteau
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

The rugs are too small. They should be under the sofa somewhat and and extend out more, anchoring the room around the sitting area. Love the coffee table!

cstillings agradeció a margocroteau
  • swish72
    hace 7 años

If you are trying to use what you have...the jute looks better. I agree with other comments about the pallet table color. You need some color in the room. Repaint the table maybe a burgundy tone and add some fun accent pillows (amazon has them pretty cheap btw).

cstillings agradeció a swish72
  • J Williams
    hace 7 años

Pallets are industrial waste, totally does not go with the style of sofa or lamp you've chosen. I guess it's supposed to be a faux loft look? With your lamp and sofa I would personally go more rustic than industrial (maybe something antique/vintage/shabby chic). Or if the industrial look is your thing, you need a different lamp, maybe slipcover the sofa.

https://www.decorpad.com/bookmark.htm?bookmarkId=4144

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/furniture/lamp/counterpoise-task-floor-lamp

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/dee-atkinson-and-harrison/catalogue-id-srde10017/lot-894c0a0b-a0e7-4955-8a93-a4760104b394

http://www.grangerhertzog.com/lighting/lighting-collections/industrial-and-film-lights/barn-door-pewter-film-lamp

cstillings agradeció a J Williams
  • Alexandra
    hace 6 años

Both rugs are too small.

• Tab Anderson
    hace 6 años

Perthadigm has it right!!!

• PRO
    Selectblinds
    hace 6 años

Paint the table a darker color to match the wood on the couches and keep the darker rug. Some wall art to compliment on the wall behind the larger couch would look great!

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

cstill not here since march

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.