Houzz Logo Print
chateauivoire

Marble countertops in kitchen?

Chateauivoire
hace 7 años

Love marble countertops and want them in kitchen any thoughts?

Comentarios (14)

• latifolia
    hace 7 años

Go for it! I did and have no regrets.

Chateauivoire agradeció a latifolia
  • H J
    hace 7 años
    Ive heard complaints about how sensitive they are and how they absorb stains from people who said they'd never do it again. If you're concerned what about choosing quartz that looks somewhat similar to marble?
    Chateauivoire agradeció a H J
  • User
    hace 7 años

Marble patina. It shows LIFE lived on it's surface. If you're a Botox kinda person that doesn't want life to show, it's probably not for you.

Marble patina · Más información

marble patina · Más información

Chateauivoire agradeció a User
  • Heather Macdonald
    hace 7 años
    If you don't cook or have kids or drink wine or tea or coffee....
    Chateauivoire agradeció a Heather Macdonald
  • sunshine home
    hace 7 años

How about a quartz that looks like marble

Chateauivoire agradeció a sunshine home
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 años

People in Italy have kids, drink wine, cook often and have marble, but they love the patina that life gives to a kitchen so if that works for you IMO marble beats quartz hands down

• Chateauivoire agradeció a Mary Elizabeth
  • coopermcboo
    hace 7 años

No, no... a thousand times, no. Gee, I think I really have an opinion on this one. I, too, was going to go with marble and a friend talked me out of it. I went with Silestone in peppercorn. I love the look -- and it's indestructible - hot pans, red wine, coffee, sharp knives, this stuff is impervious to pain. Marble SEEMS like it will last forever... sadly no.

• Elle
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Marble can discolor even just with items sitting on it so I would go with a quartz that has a similar look to marble.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

We've been WALKING on it for five hundred years or more...........

All that depends, is what your idea of "forever" looks like. Personally I'd rather see a marble top with the patina of living and cooking, than a "perfect" quartz top junked with mail, handbags, ballet shoes, keys, phones, the last night pizza box, and shall I go on? lol

• Maxwell VII
    hace 7 años

I wouldn't do marble in the kitchen, myself. While it looks great, the staining issue. I would do Quartzite (not Quartz) in the kitchen. A lot of Quartzite (again, not Quartz) looks just as great and is a lot more stain-resistant than Marble.

If you're worried about strength and etching, then go with Quartz instead of Quartzite. It's a bit stronger and a lot more unlikely to etch.

There are so many choices out there for countertops. Don't even limit yourself to the stone and stone-derivatives. Do your research.

Chateauivoire agradeció a Maxwell VII
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    hace 6 años

I know this thread is older, but since others will continue to read through it, I wanted to add my $.02. I am a designer who strongly discourages my clients from using marble, but I decided to put honed Carrara in my kitchen. I've had it almost a year, and zero regrets so far. I did, however, use a black soapstone on my island, which is where I do 90% of my work. I will also place very hot things from the oven on the soapstone as opposed to the marble, and have told my teenage daughters that they can do pretty much anything they want in the kitchen, as long as they are on the island! I've definitely got some etching here and there and a few scratches as I do use the marble counters, but they don't bother me. I still discourage clients from using it, as I know how most people want things to stay "perfect" forever and I worry about them being unhappy down the road if they go with marble. I do have one client who just kept going back to Carrara over and over again, so we will be installing it for her and she has promised to enjoy the patina over time and not worry about it. It's definitely not for everyone, but there is really no true substitute for natural stone. The quartz products get better all the time, but they'll never look truly real, so if that's a priority, and you can live with imperfection, go with the marble.

• PRO
    Renaissance Marble Works, Inc.
    hace 6 años

When the "patina" gets to much for your client, it can be rehoned and brought back to its original state. Isn't natural stone wonderful. Your kitchen is beautiful! Quartz will never replace natural stone!!!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.