Houzz Logo Print
belltheile

NEED HELP DECIDING ON SIDEWALK/LANDSCAPING

belltheile
hace 11 años
I really want to do a pebble path but not sure how it will look, ideas welcome!

Comentarios (31)

• belltheile
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks you, Matthew. The cost is probably not in our budget at the moment but we will see.
  • belltheile
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    We also need a new roof, any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well!!!
  • PRO
    Matthew Craig Interiors
    hace 11 años
    If you really like the look of a pebble path I would suggest that you do a heavily exposed aggregate as loose pebble paths can be really messy, in my opinion.
  • belltheile
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Is the first photo with the woman, loose pebble? Cannot enlarge it? Yes, we realize they it can be messy but we use the back entrance way most of the time from our garage.
  • PRO
    Matthew Craig Interiors
    hace 11 años
    I like the color of the roof shingles as they are so I wouldn't stray from that. I would go for a high dimension shingle.
  • PRO
    Matthew Craig Interiors
    hace 11 años
    The picture of the driveway is aggregate..construction aggregate is a mixture of crushed and chopped materials, usually stones of various densities. A great way to use aggregate is to give the appearance of loose rocks in the construction of a walkway. The process of laying an aggregate walkway combines a top layer of aggregate for aesthetic purposes and a hidden under layer of cement for strength and foundation. You can use any style of aggregate to create a wide variety of looks on your path.

Read more: How to Pour an Aggregate Walkway | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7621410_pour-aggregate-walkway.html#ixzz2RJWawfTs
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 11 años
    Although these two versions are larger than your entry, I think you could use single brackets or posts under your eyebrow porch roof. Add large lanterns to each side and paint the door a wow color - aqua, orange, lime green; something hot that pops against the charcoal! I would remove the flower box from above and put them on all the downstairs windows filled with flowers and trailing greenery. If you do brackets for the porch you could do a version of these for the boxes, and I might like them painted charcoal. Power wash the walk for now and stain it with concrete stain. Install semi-circle beds on each side of the steps up from the street and a circle bed around the tree. Use the local nurseryman's expertise to choose appropriate plantings for your area. Groom and feed all the boxwoods you already have.
    Skating Pond House Exterior · Más información

Graceful Gambrel · Más información

Traditional Landscape · Más información

Traditional Perennial · Más información
  • PRO
    Matthew Craig Interiors
    hace 11 años
    I like the idea of staining the concrete walkway!
  • Ann
    hace 11 años
    I think your current path looks great.
  • Ann
    hace 11 años
    If it's in good shape and you just want something a little different, the staining concrete idea is great!
  • offdutyhandyman
    hace 11 años
    Decorative concrete over existing concrete.
  • Victor
    hace 11 años
    you could do a stamped concrete walkway which would look nice and it has a variety of patterns..
  • Jill I.
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
  • mimy
    hace 11 años
    I think it would look nice with some more plantings, and they dont have to be pricey. Something to mirror the boxwood at the front door, maybe posts by the road/rails up first steps and roses/something romantic if you are looking for something softer. Lions if you want to go formal ;) I don't think pebbles will look great on the existing path, it is much more informal and like the first aggregate photo, should be lined with shrubs to pop out.
  • mousemaker
    hace 11 años
    a new roof will probably have to be first and will be worth every dime. I agree about the flagstone..it looks great in the photos..plantings are always changeable depending on what you like. there are so many possibilities. if you look through Houzz for front lawns i'm sure you will find some ideas too.
  • PRO
    Inca Stone Inc
    hace 11 años
    Your home looks very pleasant and warm. I would recommend the use of our travertine in this application. There are various types of applications that would give you an excellent feel as anyone approaches your home. We can provide you with various types of cobbles, pavers, and/or flagstone. Please take a look at these photos and you will admire the beauty of our stone in various applications. Of course not only would you be getting a wonderful stone, but our stone will not discolor, fade, oxidize, heat up, and fail like most concrete and/or natural stone products in the industry. If you are looking for durability with a soft look, think of One Step travertine!! Contact us if you have any further questions. Good luck
  • PRO
    Pine Hall Brick Company
    hace 11 años
    More ideas...
  • mousemaker
    hace 11 años
    https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_CZpPHQSDhJaF6DZr9EpANuOcbb6MvdwCnAOsWnVqTjjieQZ7
    I have no idea if this will work, but you might want to think about this too.
  • PRO
    Creative Garden Spaces
    hace 11 años
    My two cents ;-) The first photo is a Bluestone path with polished black pebbles on the riser. The second is a Belgard Arbel Paver walkway. Both of these can be overlaid on to your existing walkway.
  • PRO
    Fine Art Tileworks — Handmade Relief Tile
    hace 11 años
    Don't use loose pebbles if you use a string trimmer...broken windows...& teeth ;-(=
  • mousemaker
    hace 11 años
    Fine Art Tileworks!! I just knew there was someone else on here who thought of that stuff besides moi :) I usually get scoffed at :)
  • nasmijati
    hace 11 años
    I have loose pea gravel for a parking area. Gravel "travels" and needs to be swept off the City street back into the parking area every week. The trash collection day is the worst. Every three or four years, enough gravel has become impacted into the soil that water puddles form, so it is necessary to add one ton of new gravel (about a pick-up trick load) to level out the low places.

I have washed aggregate pea gravel on the front walk. DO NOT EVER use any kind of product to melt snow. It will eat right through the walk. The walk will continue to deteriorate as water puddles in the depressions. Also, it is pretty much impossible to shovel snow from washed aggregate. I always have to use a broom afterward. If anyone has walked on the path, their footprints smash the snow between all the little pebbles and even the broom cannot sweep them up - forward, backward, side-to side, oblique, punching the broom straws into the footprint. Change to whisk broom. Nope.

The thing is, I LIKE both of these places, but are a lot of work.
  • shelleyuk
    hace 11 años
    Don't do it. You would need some sort of edging to contain the gravel and then unless you take up the current slabs you will have a problem when you get to the step. If you do remove the slab to put down the gravel you will have a problem with weeds etc growing through.
  • PRO
    Pine Hall Brick Company
    hace 11 años
    I concur...I have pea gravel everywhere. I hold my breath when I mow. How about some "held-in-place" pebbles? http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/10455954/thumbs/My-Home-Outdoors-Ideas
  • hazeldazel
    hace 11 años
    You know, to me it just looks like your current walkway just needs a good power washing and edging. Add some additional perennials and it would look soooo much better! Save your money for a really good roof.
  • kensing9
    hace 11 años
    I would do cobble.
    Stamped concrete stained like cobble might be cheaper.
  • patricia1971
    hace 11 años
    I love small stone gravel and use is for paths in my garden, but don't think it will work well with your walkway. It will get messy and perhaps awkward with the steps. Cedar shingles would look perfect with your style home. I think it's just a lovely looking house. Perhaps a little landscaping along the sides of your path (mini boxwood?) would give you the look your looking for.
  • Jayme H.
    hace 11 años
    When I owned a large 4 square home, we poured an exposed aggregate sidewalk...with stain in the mix...a reddish color...looked wonderful...There are also stains u can use on existing concrete.
  • Momof5x
    hace 11 años
    I say keep the present pathway and concentrate on the roof first.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    hace 9 años
    stain the walkway grey. get the roof in a lighter grey or a red. you could even do a super green white roof
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.