Houzz Logo Print
brittanygail

Need help with my family room

brittanygail
hace 7 años

I am in the process of redecorating my family room and dining room. They are open to each other, so i am coordinating some of the fabrics and colors. I have a sectional sofa that is sporting new custom slip covers. I have painted the walls of the family room revere pewter by Benjamin Moore. I love green so I painted the top part of the dining room Jade from Benjamin Moore and I am bringing pops of green into the family room with some funky fabrics on throw pillows, drapes and an upholstered ottoman. There are several fabrics involved and I"m not sure which one to put where. I'm considering covering the ottoman in the animal print and i have ordered a large 24x24 inch lacquered green tray to sit on top. The drapes in the dining room will be the animal print for sure. I also need help with the mantle. I just have some silly stuff up there right now after I took down all of the Christmas decor and it is in no way what I plan to leave there... I just don't know what else to do there. I want something interesting and different. So, please take a look at the pictures and please advise me on 1. Which fabric to do the drapes in the family room, 2. What to do over the mantel, 3. If the ottoman should in fact be animal print, 4. What color chair, if any, to get for the left side of the mantle. I'm posting some pictures now of the room and the fabrics. Thanks in advance for your help!

Inspiration photo

Comentarios (71)

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Wow! You are the bomb!

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años

Do you have a favorite?

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hmmmm. I'm not sure. What does everybody else think?

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Also, what do you think about solid green velvet drapes?? I was hoping to do the drapes in the green and cream deer print fabric but I can't find enough to do drapes.

• happyleg
    hace 7 años

Add tha deer print to bottom third of drapes. #1 chair pic, classic.

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Oh, I like the drape idea. Do you think Ivory at the top and deer print on bottom 3rd? Also, do you like black chair #3 better than the spindle chair with cushions? I definitely don't like the leather one for sure.

• djohnston73
    hace 7 años
    I like the spindle chair and it looks more comfy than the others.
    brittanygail agradeció a djohnston73
  • kjoy1
    hace 7 años

I like the spindle chair as well:) I am still thinking about the green velvet drapes...what do you think...is the deer over the top;) You said you wanted unique! Hehe.

brittanygail agradeció a kjoy1
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Add all the black accents and use the emerald green for storng pops of color in the space..black and white animal print ottoman would be gorgeous!

brittanygail agradeció a Home Interiors with Ease
  • happyleg
    hace 7 años

Yes to your drape question,spindle chair if u don't want leather.

• PRO
  • brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Kjoy, you are cracking me up! I love the boldness of your mantel art, I just don't think I want a deer. A huge green deer just reminds me of christmas, and the two dead ones in the pictures above just aren't me. Lol! I love Home Interiors suggestion of all the black accents. I've decided that I'm definitely going to cover the ottoman in this fabric.

I love the black spindle chair. I need to find one that is in my budget. The search is on! Still thinking on the ivory drapes with bottom third in this fabric...
    Or maybe it should be the top third? Decisions, decisions. I wish I could just see what it would look like. I'm kind of afraid to do the solid green velvet drapes for fear that it would seem too heavy and blah. I need to learn how to photo shop and these decisions would be a lot easier! lol!

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años
    I know the green deer is hilarious...I couldn't resist;) All of Home Interiors With Ease suggestions are great. She is my favorite PRO...everything she helps with turns out amazing. Hopefully she will come back and help. What is your chair budget...I can help you look:)
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hi Kjoy1--- you are so nice...thank you for your support!

Hi Brittany...I would suggest not to go with the green pattern drapes or green velvet..you will be stuck...keep the drapes in a neutral or black pattern so that the green can be changed out just by removing some pillows and accents! You can add any color to the bold black and neutrals in the future. Why not White drapes with a black banding or black bottom panel..beautiful! Do you like more traditional art?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Use that green pattern fabric for pillows...

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años
    Quick search...
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Great price on the chair Kjoy1... :))

here is a Etsy.com site I use for drapes the can do any color combination for banding...MarthaandAsh.com..these would be absolutely gorgeous in your room...

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Great minds..... kjoy1!

I found the same one and it totally works with my budget!! Yay! Thanks so much for your help! I'm loving this! It's great to have someone to bounce ideas off of. Now, what do you think about these curtains?

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks Home Interiors with Ease! Great ideas! Do you think I should go with black and ivory or neutral? I like the statement that the black and ivory make and I think you make a great point about the printed drapes and being stuck with that.

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I'm just afraid that the neutral might be too blah.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Black and Ivory..It looks like the background of your leopard print is not a bright white so they would work well together!

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Which ones do you like better? The striped black and ivory drapes or the ivory with the black bottom. Here is another picture of the room during the day.... and keep in mind the ottoman will be covered in the fabric laying on the table and I'm riding the black spindle chair.

this last picture is of the dinning room. Somebody asked to see the wall color. The drapes in here are already being made, by yours truly, and are in the animal print as well. Please excuse the hover boards and all the other ridiculous stuff in these pictures..... I have 4 kids 10, twin 8 yr olds, and a 2 yr old! Lord help me!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Great job! I would do the bold black banding on just the bottom of drapes for family room...they will be wonderful with your open floor and show really well!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Would you consider just doing a trim band along leading edge of your dining room drapes in the animal print...still a great accent but will not take over the room....it can be added to readymades and very simple to do.

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años
    Nice house Brittany. I like the green paint color in your dining room:) I like HIWE idea of animal print on the edge of a solid curtain...I would do that for both the dining and living room curtains. I also loved the black Greek key trim that was at the marthaandash website...I noticed the green pillow in your inspiration photo had the same Greek key trim. What were you thinking for your mantle? Mirror...art...a green deer that matches your pillow ;)
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

These are fabrics from one of our HOUZZ pros, ARKfabric.com Many are USA made and 100% cotton. The geometric black and green could work well in your room (every room can use a touch of black.) It is shown with some coordinating fabrics with gray that you might consider. I wouldn't go too far with the deer theme. It might get tiresome. The fabric for your hassock doesn't seem to have a large enough print for my taste.
    Buffalo check is another classic to consider.

Here's a way to add another color to your palette that compliments the green.

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años
    The deer theme is a joke;)
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I like the fabric with the deer for drapes or chair upholstery, joke or not. You could do that in the formal dining room, and then go a bit more casual in the sectional space with buffalo check. I wouldn't do velvet or very formal fabrics all the way through.

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años

Here is a rough photoshop of the ivory with black band that you posted...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Very nice....I do have another suggestion....your shades that you have on your windows should be hung from the transom windows with drapes just above or you should hang your drapery rod along bottom of transom window where your shades start..one or the other...may I ask why you are not keeping your mirror?...you cold spray the frame black or bold Gold metallic....would be gorgeous!!

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Wow! Thanks so much for doing that kjoy! I'm not sure what I think. Do you have an opinion one way or the other? I know they wouldn't be that bright, and would be more of a cream color, but what does everyone think?

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

HIWE, I haven't decided what to do with the mantle. I'm not at all opposed to the mirror, I just haven't really gotten to the mantle yet. The mirror actually goes to the piece underneath my TV. Its actually a buffet with a mirror over the top that used to be in my dining room. After my mother died I inherited this African curio cabinet that I thought fit better in my dining room so I moved the other two out into the family room and separated the two. See photo.

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Also, should the person who did my window treatments have hung the honeycomb shades at the top of the window to begin with? That makes me mad if they should have known better! I think my only option would be to move it up because I don't think hanging the curtains from there would look right. They would be way too low.

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I think I need to introduce black into the pillows. Maybe I could add the black Greek key trim to the green pillows like the inspiration photo and then I could do the ivory and black curtains either with a Greek key trim or the color block. In the picture they just look out of place because there aren't many black accent in the room yet.

• happyleg
    hace 7 años

The black & ivory will work. I agree with what u said above. The black in your decor.

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años

Brittany...I like the idea of adding the Greek key trim to curtains and pillow:) like this but with Greek key...

I think even adding a few black pillows with the trim would look sharp. So jealous that you can sew:)

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

And I wish I could photoshop Kjoy! lol! Thanks for the picture. I like that much better. I'm going to get to work on the curtains and recovering the ottoman if I can occupy my 2 yr old.....watching Frozen just one more time won't kill her. ;) Start thinking about the mantle if you're bored! Something in black wrought iron might be cool up there. Or it might be nice with some artwork with black and white, or green and black or even some touches of aqua like whats in the aqua and green pillows.

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

kjoy, will you humor me and show me a pick of cream curtains with the deer print on the bottom 3rd. I need to see it to get it out of my head.

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años

I have a 2 year old as well Brittany:) Not much gets done around here until nap time! I am kind of embarrassed to post this pic of curtains with deer because I didn't have an actual image of that curtain...the picture of that fabric is just kind of plopped onto the bottom of the curtains...so size and proportions are not correct...but you get the idea.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Horrible:(

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Black trim in Greek key or basket weave looks beautiful!! Have it on my drapes in family room and bedroom I have gray trim..off white brushed cotton drapes.

Saddlebrook · Más información

Here they are in gray for bedroom

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años

I don't think the green deer print curtains are horrible;) but I do think that they distract from the beautiful prints and colors already chosen. The cream curtains with the black band or Greek key trim are a nice neutral backdrop and your fabrics are the star.

Beautiful home HIWE!

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Bah ha ha!!! Agreed HIWE! Well, that's settled. Greek key trim or something similar it is!

Thanks Kjoy for photoshopping it for me!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Thanks Kjoy..I hired Smith & Noble for all my drapes and shades they do an amazing job!

marthaandash.com do a great job and offer Greek key trim..

• brittanygail
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I'll take a look. Thanks!

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años

Mantle...

• PRO
  • kjoy1
    hace 7 años

Mantle...

• agprbio
    hace 6 años
    I love this room and the green accents! Would put a coordinating piece of art on the mantel and decorative accents on the coffee table. The rug ideas above are great too
  • happyleg
    hace 6 años

Updates? Please!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.