Houzz Logo Print
carrie_patterson44

Need some character adding to new kitchen

Carrie Patterson
hace 7 años

Hi, new here so hoping I do this right.

I had a new kitchen fitted a few months back and haven't gotten around to finishing it. The problem is I really dislike it... I totally rushed into it and don't like much at all about it. The cupboards are cream which i dislike and the worktops are black and even though I am very clean and tidy it shows up every tiny crumb. I want a new floor, still need splash back and blind etc. But wanted some advice before rushing out. How can I turn this around and inject some character? I am going to be paying this kitchen off for another 2 years so I need to find a way of loving it.

shall I just invest more money and change the work tops and have a splash back between the cupboards!? What floor would go with cream but also match the table!? Again I didn't think about the table in relation to the kitchen and it's a nice oak one that cost too much to get rid of after 12 months.

The wallpaper is much nicer than the picture makes it appear.

Thanks in advance

Comentarios (23)

• apple_pie_order
    hace 7 años

The wallpapered dining room sounds like it suits you much more than the kitchen. How about getting an estimate for new countertops and a new backsplash? The cream cabinets are easier to ignore (and work with) than the black countertops.

Do you want pulls on drawers and doors? That'd be a way to inject some character.

• Carrie Patterson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the reply. It's a kitchen diner in one room. Yes I think changing the tops and getting a splash back might be the way forward. What colour do you think would go with cream? It's just so boring at the moment. I didn't want handled on the cupboards but again not sure if that was the right idea!! I really wish I had perhaps thought about an island in the centre, even though it would have taken a lot of space I think it would have been really homely. Now I'm kind of just thinking that once it's paid off I may just totally start it again and really spend time looking around and thinking about what i want.

this is how it looked before when i moved in so I do think it has improved. Just bland

• rocketjcat
    hace 7 años
    Love the wallpaper. If you do too, I have an inexpensive suggestion...what if you papered the backsplash with it? I think it would go nicely with your cabinets and counters and inject something you like into an area you're not so happy with. It might not be the latest trend but it might hold you over until you decide what to do. Adding brushed nickel cabinet hardware might work well with the wallpaper. Just a thought!
  • greenwoodframed
    hace 7 años

I love your dining area- the table and chairs are a great compliment to that wallpaper, and the pendants also look fantastic.

I like the idea of wallpapering the backsplash, although I wonder if the color matches? It's hard to tell in the pictures but those cabinets look VERY yellow/cream colored to me, which might be weird with the wallpaper which has more cool elements to it.

Honestly, I like the counters and hate the cabinets. Were the cabinet doors very expensive? Maybe even just replacing the bottoms only with a darker color would break it up a bit... that color in the glossy finish seems very "meh" to me in comparison to your beautiful dining area.

• northpoint2
    hace 7 años

I love your counters too, and your floors! The dining area also looks so nice. Is that purple paint in the kitchen?

• apple_pie_order
    hace 7 años

Yes, wallpaper the backsplash, perfect idea. You'll need a piece of stainless behind the cooktop. Add undercabinet lighting.

Take a drawer over next to the dining room wallpaper for a photo. I bet the cream goes perfectly well with it.

Is the lovely bubble chandelier silver, chrome or gold? Using the same finish for pulls or knobs would be good.

What geographical area are you in?

• champcamp
    hace 7 años

Yes what color is wall paint in kitchen? It looks pale grayish maybe even violet in the photos. I would look into changing wall color first because I think it is clashing with the cabinets.

• Carrie Patterson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The paint is a pale grey-ish colour but could also be like a very cool blue-ish colour. Yes the cabinets are a yellow-cream!! An awful colour really and difficult to match up with other colours which is why I have found it so hard to know where to go with it. Not the cream I had thought it would be when I originally picked the kitchen. As for the floor- I suppose the photo makes the flooring look reasonable- however in reality it's a cheap lino and dated really. I will take a photo of the cabinets agains the wallpaper. It is a u shaped kitchen with the dining area agains the back wall. Suppose I could buy another roll and give it a go cos it's easily removed if I don't like the finish.

changing the colour of the bottom doors I don't feel is an option because of the built in fridge freezer is one big unit. Also don't want to spend a fortune on the changes or I think I might as well just start again which is the way I am feeling.

• northpoint2
    hace 7 años

Ahh, it's definitely the paint that is throwing me off (and I didn't realize the floors were linoleum, I assumed they were natural stone; in that case, would you consider a rug?)

• Carrie Patterson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Yes northpoint2 I would consider a rug. Am happy to buy new flooring though as this was always the plan. Just never knew what colour to match the cream

• Dale Hadley
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I think pretty pulls on your doors, an off white tile or stainless backsplash behind your range, stone floor and can you still add an island? You can get a coordinating (off white with black) countertop on the island to off set the black perimeter counters. I also think wall papering everything except behind your range a/or sink would be pretty.

• PRO
    Knockout Knobs
    hace 7 años

Hello! You should absolutely check out Knockout Knobs! You can custom design knobs, hooks, and handles that will 100% add so much character to your kitchen. You create a design and we create the product. The possibilities are endless! Your Passion Your Design Your Hardware

• tedbixby
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

You have a great start on your kitchen. It just needs to be finished. Getting the right back splash is going to make a ton of difference of making you happier and giving you that character that you want. With your contemporary cabinets, I think you need to look at glass. Either a glass tile or painted back glass.

As lovely as your wallpaper is, I wouldn't use it for the back splash nor try and make it part of the decision process of trying to compliment the 2. As you may find a perfect back splash but find it doesn't work with the wallpaper. I'd rather have the perfect back splash and then deal with the wallpaper. If you happen to be able to compliment the 2, then great and consider it extra design points. But don't beat yourself up trying to do so.

As far as the flooring, is it something that either butts up to another flooring or is a continuation into another room that we need to concern ourselves with?

These cabinets may not be as creamy as yours but at least you can get a visual of how some the of same elements in your kitchen and with the right color back splash how it can be pulled together. This tile is glass. For your kitchen I would look at a different shape of tile as I think it will make more of a statement and your kitchen can handle it. I'll go see what else I can find for visuals...

French Place Cottage · Más información

• Carrie Patterson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. I am away on holiday next week but when I return I will definitely be making the kitchen a priority and I will be considering all these ideas until then.

• Susan Davis
    hace 7 años

I love what you have done and looked for modern white kitchens....the pics might give you some aha moments that you might want to incorporate into your kitchen.....it isn't finished yet.

Love the tile; adds movement and colore and pattern in the kitchen and angles look good wiht your angular art wallpaper

Modern White Kitchen · Más información

Same kitchen with added fireplace and fabric with circles for again movement in the room

Modern White Kitchen · Más información

Wood flooring adds warmth

French Place Cottage · Más información

Modern pulls and again wood to add warmth

Piano White · Más información

Natural floating shelving in dining room for interest storage and architectural interest

Modern White Kitchen by Astro Design. Ottawa · Más información

• bradley_amber
    hace 7 años
    I don't think the cream is ugly, it is just clashing with your gray walls. you will need to change them. YES get pretty hardware, your cabinets will be so much more pretty and functional.
  • tedbixby
    hace 7 años

Came across this photo and thought of your kitchen. Mother of Pearl back splash.

Contemporary Kitchen · Más información

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Notice how the lighting really makes that mother of pearl sparkle and shine! Lighting is so key.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Emtek has a relatively new line of gold hardware that is really exciting too. Check it out.

• eve_62025
    hace 7 años

What about a metal tile backsplash? They make them like peel and stick so very easy to diy. I think some modern pulls will make a world of difference on the cabinets!

• PRO
    Eden Mosaic Tile
    hace 7 años

Have
    you considered using a stainless steel with glass or stone mosaic tile to bring
    together your cream cupboards and black countertops?

Eden Mosaic Tile installations: Cobble Stainless Steel With Silver Glass Tile · Más información

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Stainless Steel And Crackled Glass Mix Tile · Más información

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Stainless Steel Bricks/Gray Basalt Stone Tile · Más información

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Brick And Square Pattern Stainless Steel Tile · Más información

We are a premium online supplier of metal mosaic tiles
    for backsplash and other wall applications. If you are looking for ideas, feel
    free to browse our customer installations for metal backsplash ideas:

http://www.houzz.com/projects/72838/eden-mosaic-tile-installations

You can also check out our Houzz store at:

https://www.houzz.com/pro/edenmosaictile/eden-mosaic-tile

We offer the possibility to receive samples.

Good luck with your kitchen design!

• PRO
    Eden Mosaic Tile
    hace 7 años

Have
    you considered using a stainless steel with glass or stone mosaic tile to bring
    together your cream cupboards and black countertops?

Eden Mosaic Tile installations: Cobble Stainless Steel With Silver Glass Tile · Más información

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Stainless Steel And Crackled Glass Mix Tile · Más información

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Stainless Steel Bricks/Gray Basalt Stone Tile · Más información

Eden Mosaic Tile Installations: Brick And Square Pattern Stainless Steel Tile · Más información

We are a premium online supplier of metal mosaic tiles
    for backsplash and other wall applications. If you are looking for ideas, feel
    free to browse our customer installations for metal backsplash ideas:

http://www.houzz.com/projects/72838/eden-mosaic-tile-installations

You can also check out our Houzz store at:

https://www.houzz.com/pro/edenmosaictile/eden-mosaic-tile

We offer the possibility to receive samples.

Good luck with your kitchen design!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.