Houzz Logo Print
stephtb20

Help picking backsplash

Stephanie Valdez
hace 7 años
I am having trouble picking a backsplash for my kitchen. I have white cabinets and a busy granite. I don't want to pick a backsplash and regret it later. My husband wants something busy but I don't want a backsplash that takes attention from my granite. Someone help!!!

Comentarios (34)

• acm
    hace 7 años

The first one is just barely ok. Really, I think you're better icking a single tone (cream, gray) from the stone and doing a solid backsplash.

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I'm sorry for my Bad lighting my house is dark since I'm putting new lights too.
  • dyliane
    hace 7 años

white subway tiles

• jhmarie
    hace 7 años

The backsplash color differences in the example are subtle enough not to make it too busy - and I like it better than the dark grays I've seen. My neighbor just had a simple subway in a herringbone design and It is really pretty.

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
  • PRO
    Rubble Tile
    hace 7 años

One thing that comes to mind is that, among the options shown, at least one is a marble mosaic. Marble is much more porous than your granite countertop; it is soft; and it is vulnerable to acids. If your splash goes behind your cooktop, options of marble, travertine, or limestone should be thought through very carefully.

And those tiny little mosaics have been very hot for the last few years. That may mean that in a few years they could look dated. Consider a solid ceramic. It could be a subway tile, or a different brick-like proportion, a square, anything that appeals to you. Given your beautiful choice in granite, you could consider a deep grey, which would give some striking contrast to your cabinets, or a medium to light grey. If you pick a grout color close to the color of the tile, that will create a quieter effect than a high contrast grout. Both the high contrast and low contrast options for the color of your tile can still let your granite top have center stage!

These photos are not all of backsplash installations, but maybe they will help as you consider your options!

• Bethany A
    hace 7 años

Hi! Great countertops! Since there's a lot going on, look for larger tiles than what you have shown to balance out the patterns. Also, a solid color tile will help. Glass subway tiles would add some reflection. If your husband really likes the longer, thinner tiles, something like this cream one might work well http://tilebar.com/loft-horizon-smokey-taupe-frosted-2x16-glass-tile.html. It's hard to match colors exactly given the dark pictures like you mentioned but picking one color to pull from the countertops will help. This hex tile gives you a larger pattern to consider other than a linear tile. http://tilebar.com/zenith-lady-gray-hexagon-honed-marble-tile.html. I haven't ordered from this site before so these are suggestions for style and color. Happy to help if you have additional color/style preferences.

• chloebud
    hace 7 años

Totally agree with amc.

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I think i am going for the beveled subway but what color would match best?

• Bethany A
    hace 7 años

Beveled subway is a great idea. I'd recommend pulling from the lighter colors in the countertop...whites, off-white or a very light gray but having samples onsite to see what works the best is a must. White might be too stark (or it will pop) and gray might be too drab (or not!). Depends on lighting and actually putting it next to the countertop. If you have samples and take pictures, it will be easier to tell.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I don't think what he picked is too bad. Here are some other options.

ceramic 3X12 bianco in herringbone pattern

white thassos beveled subway:

black slate

thassos herringbone 1X6

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 7 años

Lovely granite! Great cabinets. I'd go with a white glass backsplash. Don't take away from your granite!

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    So I went to a local store and found some beautiful subway tile. What do you think?
  • Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you everyone for your input.
  • tedbixby
    hace 7 años

We can tell better if you can put it up next to your granite and post photos.

• Jennifer Havin
    hace 7 años

love love love the subway tile, I like the bigger one in the middle, looks like the top of the 2nd board. can you put it next to your counter?

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    What do you think?
  • Jennifer Havin
    hace 7 años

I like the 1st one, the larger warmer gray, the bottom picture with the person in the photo looks too cool. But it's hard for me or anyone to really tell on a computer monitor. What do you think?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

I like the first one. Again it's hard to tell on the screen, but it should work fine. Do you plan on laying them in a standard off-set brick pattern? or something else?

• Bethany A
    hace 7 años

Great options! From the first pictures you posted, you have quite a bit of backsplash to install. The light tile will be very subtle and the darker gray will be more dramatic causing the cabinets to pop more. It is hard to tell if the light tiles are the right tone- looks a little off but it's also on a computer as Jennifer mentioned. I'd bring it onsite and look there before making any decisions since you have a lot of countertop and lighting at a showroom is different than at your house. With that much gray in the countertop and the darker gray tile, see if it's too much when you are onsite. I personally like the larger tiles shown rather than the typical subway tile size too...very nice.

• PRO
    Rachel Savage Design Management LLC
    hace 7 años

I think in this case, less is more. I would go with a solid color subway tile but in a non-traditional size, like 2x9

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    For some reason my granite looks a little yellow in the picture lol. They had the bone color but they didn't have the samples to take home
  • Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you. I think I will look into the one color tomorrow :) I'll be posting pictures
  • Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I think I'm going for a white or bone subwaytile. I put the bone subway next to my granite and it's actually the same color of my granite. What do you think. Should I go with white or bone color?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

be careful w/the bone color because of your white cabs. get a handful of tiles of each color and place them against the wall to see how they look. you can't tell w/just one tile.

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Would you recommend just white subway tile then?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

I think the white would be fine. You're up close w/the tile and countertop. does it go ok? I like the longer ones you've picked.

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    White on the right and bone on the left. The bone is pretty off from my
    Cabinets it's like the same color as the wall right now.
  • calidesign
    hace 7 años

I like the larger size, and think either the white or the bone would work. Think about the other colors in your home. Do you have cool colors or warm colors nearby? How does each tile look with your floor tiles? What colors are you considering for your walls? Those answers may help you decide.

• Stephanie Valdez
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Do you guys think I should add some color subway or just stay with the white subway? Also will the bevel be too much or I should be okay with the bevel?
  • Bethany A
    hace 7 años

I wouldn't add color subway with the pattern in the countertop. You could consider the bevel in my opinion since the color palette is so neutral. It would add some texture and pattern to the backsplash but still keep it light. Do you have a sample to take a picture with on the countertop?

• Bethany A
    hace 7 años

Love it! Looks great

• chloebud
    hace 7 años

Perfect!!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.