Houzz Logo Print
mmgstone

Prep sink or no prep sink?

mmgstone
hace 7 años

I'm trying to decide if I should eliminate this small prep sink in island. This island will be about 4' x 5’, kitchen roughly 14 x 16.

I originally really wanted it and thought it would be very functional, but now am having second thoughts. (And others aka husband, not liking it.) The kitchen/dining/living is a great room concept, so I wanted the kitchen to feel more low-key, less of an attention draw, and less no-nonsense production oriented. We are empty nesters so don't do that much full-on entertaining, and no grandkids... yet. I know I can survive without it, but am sure it would be useful on occasion too. Thoughts? Good investment? Thanks.

Comentarios (26)

• season55
    hace 7 años

It really depends if you cook a lot on your island. It is sometimes useful to be able to wash fruits a few inches from the place your cutting on. It is also useful if someone is washing there hands in the big sink you wash fruit at the same time with the prep sink. Make a list of pros and cons and discuss it with the rest of the family. Maybe ask friends for votes.

mmgstone agradeció a season55
  • Horizons
    hace 7 años
    We had the same debate planning our kitchen. We decided to omit the prep sink and, several years on, we agree we don't miss it.
    mmgstone agradeció a Horizons
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    hace 7 años

Really don't think you need it. You don't do much entertaining and there's a real sink right behind you. Not worth it if you ask me.

mmgstone agradeció a 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • Bailey R
    hace 7 años

No prep sink. I think they're silly unless there are multiple cooks vying for a sink.

mmgstone agradeció a Bailey R
  • lcswilcox195kw
    hace 7 años
    I had one and used it twice a year for parties. The other 363 days it sat collecting dust.
    mmgstone agradeció a lcswilcox195kw
  • jck910
    hace 7 años

I prefer islands with sinks, stoves, etc

mmgstone agradeció a jck910
  • Lynn Paul
    hace 7 años

our main sink is in our 8x4 island and we put the prep sink next to our fridge (similar layout to where your fridge is) It does come in handy especially when two people cleaning at same time but not 100% needed "Its a nice to have". Actually, we mostly use it for our coffee set up/ clean up in the morning. As that counter area by the fridge has turned into the perfect coffee station more than food 'prep' area. Perhaps move the prep sink over from island to where the fridge/ microwave counter area is planned? Also you will find it will be a nice area to make drinks when company is over as its away from the main sink stove area and guests will have a place to stay out of the way when preparing drinks etc.

mmgstone agradeció a Lynn Paul
  • tedbixby
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Looks to me where the placement is would cause a bottle neck in the kitchen if you had someone working between the main sink and stove and another person at the prep sink. And if you take anything out of the fridge to use at the prep sink, the landing for the food is either behind the faucet or having to walk to the other side of the sink so by then you might as well go to the main sink.

How many times have you wished you had one when you've been in your current kitchen? How will it be used and is it large enough for that purpose. My last house had 2 prep sinks (previous owner's decision) that I deemed useless as I couldn't even get a colander to fit in either of them. I would have rather had the counter space. I know there are people love that them but I know more people that have them that don't use them than people that do.

I think Lynn Paul's suggestion of putting it over by the microwave is a great idea.

mmgstone agradeció a tedbixby
  • PRO
    Pacific Coast Cabinetry
    hace 7 años

I find that a prep sink is invaluable. Bringing items in from the garden, prepping things for canning or freezing, doing ice bath during freezing, soaking anything...to name just a few things I prefer not to have in the way of my normal sink use needs. I also do like to use a prep sink for icing drinks during Superbowl, keeping dips or jello shots on ice during summer parties. I think it really just depends on the owner of the space - no one design is for every home.

• mmgstone
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Wow, Thanks everyone! Such quick and thoughtful responses! I realized just a few minutes ago that this sink would collect: sponges, water glasses, soap dispenser, things that should go into the dishwasher... SO. That' final. I think I will deal with the occasional inconvenience of not having one in the island, but be OK with less surface clutter around the prep sink. I think the idea of putting it by the refrigerator and beverage/microwave area is excellent though! I will think about that.

• pilatesmom3
    hace 7 años

I don't think they are necessary based on my personal kitchen use. I like an island that has no appliance/sink in them. We just redid our kitchen this past summer. We cook & entertain a lot. We serve on the island. We would find that it would be more in our way than it is worth. I agree that you need to really think hard about the pros and cons of the island prep sink. Is the "occasional" use worth it for you? Good luck!

• rocketjcat
    hace 7 años
    My prep sink doubles as a bar sink near my wine fridge. Also I couldn't fit a laundry sink into my laundry room, and its just a few steps away, so I do use it for soaking tablecloths overnight. It's far enough from my main sink not to be redundant, and I use it daily. I agree that it might come in really handy in that spot by the microwave.
  • ycity
    hace 7 años
    We don't have a prep sink in our island because we wanted out island to have a warm table feel (we went with a walnut butcher). I miss not having it to wash meat, and a place to keep dirty dishes so they are off the counter.
  • PRO
    R G MILLER (YBC)
    hace 7 años

Think about how your kitchen and will you use it. I envision from the top view utilitzing the different areas and how I would use them. If you won't use it or it becomes a catch all place then maybe you don't need it. If you have more then one person cooking it can be invaluable to keep your walkway open.

• barrowp
    hace 7 años

I often have a helper in the kitchen (thanks hubby). If you are lucky enough to have someone helping with prep or cleanup, the second sink so great. Just make sure it is big enough to be useful, and make it functional with a sprayer and garbage disposal. if it is usually just you, then a second sink is not so important. (Hmmm, could that explain why husband doesn't want it? LOL!)

• outshopping422
    hace 7 años

LOVE the prep sink in our island. We put it in on a whim and now couldn't live without it...so convenient :)

• Lynn Paul
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Just fyi here is an actual pic of my kitchen (you can see both sinks) my cabinet maker Ken Bauer posted here on Houzz. Its the perfect size sink too. Not too small so still functions as a real sink.

Custom Grey Painted Kitchen · Más información

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

Take the celery out of the fridge. Go wash it off. You've got to chop it now, because that pan on the stove is getting to the right temperature. Where do you do that? Do you turn around to the island and do it there? Or do you do it right there next to the sink, so that you can put it into the pan?

The whole point of a prep sink is that prepping requires water. How you manage to wash off your knife, or cutting board, or hands is going to determine where your focus will be. When you have the elements in line like you have, the most natural spot for prep will not be the island. It will be on the smaller spot between the sink and the range.

The dynamic can change is there is a source of water on the island. The food goes from the fridge to the island to be washed. Then prepped right there.

It also allows someone to be involved in the cleanup tasks at the same time as the food prep is going on. You just toss that cutting board into the clean up area.

• myownstyle13
    hace 7 años

I always prep between sink and stove, so I see no need for a prep sink.

• Hello Kitty
    hace 7 años
    I find the prep sink visually distracting. From what you said, I suspect you will not use the prep sink much anyway. I suppose many people are fighting over the kitchen sink in your household on a daily basis, it might have some utility. Otherwise, I would get rid of the prep sink, keep the island clean and simple, and allow the pendant lights to take on more visual oomph.
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    hace 7 años

For a larger island, a prep sink is the way to go.!

• tedbixby
    hace 7 años

Hmm, since you are doing away with the prep sink, I wonder if it would make sense to move the microwave over into the island now which would hide it from view from the other rooms and add to that low key kitchen look you are wanting to achieve.

mmgstone agradeció a tedbixby
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

A prep sink is handy if the fridge is too many steps away from the sink, and the prep sink is not.

mmgstone agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • mmgstone
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Oh, more good feed back! Thanks everyone! I know a sink would be practical, and efficient, but I keep thinking about the visual clutter it will attract. I have about 8.5 feet from fridge to big sink. I think I will mentally walk through some of my tasks again without the prep sink, and see how that feels.

RE: moving the microwave - that's something to consider too. Although, our last kitchen had an undercounter microwave on the island, and there were a few times that someone's hip or bum hitting the appliance made it turn on and they didn't notice! We 'fried' one out that way. Kind of surprising that this would happen, but it did!

• Lynn Paul
    hace 7 años

get a micro drawer then. the components are hidden in a pull out on top.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.