Houzz Logo Print
katrina_jasper85

selecting building materials

Katrina Jasper
hace 7 años
I'm looking at a small house extension and would love some tips on where to go to research options for building materials. I would like to start with selecting cladding and decking.

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Oasys Property Solutions
    hace 7 años

Katrina, depending on timescales and what is available in your locality, your best bet would probably be to attend a show such as Grand Designs Live or the Homebuilding & Renovating Show where you will see a multitude of products in the flesh at once. Alternatively, you may wish to visit the National Self Build & Renovation Centre in Swindon.

Regards, Simon

• PRO
    EnviroBuild
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hi Katrina,

We have a variety of composite cladding and decking products. Please see our website for further information and give one of our team a call on 0208 088 4888 if you have any questions or would like some samples.

https://www.envirobuild.com

Best,

EnviroBuild

• PRO
    Edmund Jacobs Design
    hace 7 años

Hi Katrina,

You may find it useful to look at the below.

For decking:

If you're on a budget: Tanilised Pine decking

The mid-range option: Hardwoods such as Garapa or Balau

The high-end option: IPE almost Indestructible but very expensive.

You could also look at man-made or composite decking I have heard good things about Wallbarns composite decking, although I have never used it myself. They are also a good contact if you are looking to make a Green roof.

I normally advise people to go for Balau as It is very hard wearing and not extortionately expensive. Last time I bought it I got a good price from E Roberts but that was over a year ago.

For Cladding:

If you are going for timber I would look at Cedar or larch. If you have a bit more to spend look at Green oak or sweet chestnut.

I have not cladded anything for years and I know there are various new types of treated cladding boards which may be more cost effective. Try looking up Thermowood.

Hope this helps.

Ed

• PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

if your thinking off going standard ,off the shop floor, i would look in builders depot, wickes, B&Q or if you are looking some thing exotic, different, bespoke, try Blumsom timbers centre they do , bespoke oak beams,Cladding eg: Bespoke 8 inch x 6M X 20mm American white oak tongue & groove cladding unfinished

BLUMSOM TIMBER CENTRE

BlumsomTimbercentre.com / 0208 594 3074

Most of the time i have been there i walk out with what i wanted, they are very experienced and been established for a long time

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    hace 7 años

If you're looking to learn loads and "kick the tyres" on lots of different products, I'd strongly recommend the Homebuilding and Renovating shows - really focused on just your topic.

• acew1234
    hace 7 años
    We have lots of wood decking areas but have removed the main walking areas as it can become incredibly slippery during wet or icy weather. You can get anti slip strips that help.
  • Kirk Williams
    el último año

Can you tell me where in the UK can buy fiber cement panels for cladding? The cost is not important, as long as the panels are of excellent quality. There are big problems with it now. Most manufacturers save money and the panels crack after two or three years of use.

• Dastin Lankorm
    el último año

There really aren't many manufacturers of fiber cement panels in the UK. I would recommend you buy for fibre cement board cladding uk here. This manufacturer is so far the best we've ordered similar siding boards from. In operation such boards are durable, the manufacturer claims more than 25 years of operation. Similar panels can withstand high temperatures, color from high temperatures is not lost and does not burn out. You can try to combine several colors to make the facade of the house look beautiful.

• Kirk Williams
    el último año

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look at all the panel options they have. Seems like a good choice. The cost is pretty decent too, considering they only use quality materials, with minerals added for better bonding.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.