Houzz Logo Print
jordan_bixler

Burden of the Brown Couch

Jordan Bixler
hace 7 años

My husband and I just moved into a new house and he wants to keep this old brown couch from our apartment (he says for sentimental reasons). It really doesn't go with the light/airy theme I was hoping for. Any ideas on how to decorate around this couch? Note* I have since painted the walls behind the couch white and gotten rid of the coffee table. The second photo is more of the look I'm trying to achieve.

Comentarios (6)

• acm
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

That's a long trip, from the dim room with the shlumpy brown couch to the bright room with the more forward-seated furnishings! You may not be able to get all the way there, but you can definitely capture a sunnier feel.

I'd start with an area rug, something in pale blues, tans, grays, with maybe a small concession to brown, but giving a clear separation between tile and couch and introducing some new cooler and lighter tones. Then I'd jump off of that for additional seating (in the light colors), some pillows, and art. Get an airy table between the two couches, with a delicate lamp and maybe some flowers, again pulling in some blues and pinks. If you don't have a ton of windows, get a ton of lighting into the room too!

• PRO
    Michael Design
    hace 7 años

Go online or check on HOUZZ for slip covers. There are many companies that make them for many styles of sofa. You might just get lucky and find something lighter that will work for you and keep that relaxed look that you seem to be aiming for.

• mayacu
    hace 7 años

Everything in the room is pretty brown and there really isn't any contrast in the depth of colors either, so I'd start with a lighter, airier paint color to brighten up the room. Add a large area rug in light, soft, shades. As for the sofa, there are a few ways (of varying difficulty) to update it a bit:

1) DIY recover the seat and back cushions with a new fabric and let the brown on the base and arms act as an accent. I would also add some stuffing to the back cushions while you're at it, they look a bit deflated. This may sound daunting but it's about the easiest sewing project you can do, they're simple shapes, not a complicated garment that has to fit someone's body. You can buy a sewing machine used for less than $100 and can figure out how to sew a straight stitch in an hour or so. The only difficult part would be a zipper but you don't even have to put in a zipper. Since the area is hidden you could just as easily leave one side open like an envelope and slide the cushion in and then fold the edges together and safety pin them. you wouldn't see them unless you removed the cushions.

2) The other option to lessen the impact of the brown sofa would be to use throws and accent pillows to cover most of its expanse. That's obviously the easier option but less effective as well.

Good luck!

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años

IKEA slipcover...

• PRO
    Comfort Works Custom Slipcovers
    hace 7 años

Jordan, if you're looking for a brighter look, you can consider white/pale grey slipcovers to freshen up your old couches, if you're interested? Get slipcovers in a long skirt style, a new area rug and coffee table and hang some art on the wall :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.