Houzz Logo Print
tiaceline

Please help...but be gentle!

Tia Celine
hace 7 años
Last time I posted for advice, I was torn a new one... but I am sheepishly returning today as I still need help with my cramped rental apartment.

Your first instinct is probably to tell me to get rid of all this oversized furniture for such a tiny condo, but I can't afford to (we were forced to leave a much larger condo that suited all this furniture, and this smaller, super-awkward layout was all we could afford in order to stay in the area). Also, I'm a bit emotionally attached to some of the items here.

So, I guess I'm really just looking for help with which colour(s) to paint (don't like the "hospital scrub green" that I chose here) and for suggestions on how I can further decorate.

Any ideas?

Comentarios (196)

• Margo
    hace 7 años

Blankenship - it is in the details ;)))

• PattyO
    hace 7 años

There is a color that makes you happy every time you see it. You know what it is (I don't) and I advise you to use that color as a jumping-off point for your decor. You'll be subconsciously glad every time you walk in the room. If it's wall color, make sure it's a tone that's light enough to live with. Almost anything will go with your grey sofa, so don't worry about it. Have some fun and remember that you can always change it. Takes time, but not much money, so go for the fences, baby!

• Connie Bundy
    hace 7 años

Hi, you must be tired of reading if you actually read all the suggestions. My 2 cents: First, its just a rental. Who knows, you may move in a year, so I'd keep everything, and make adjustments. I liked the idea of angling the sectional; If that's possible, give it a try. The first thing I'd do is put the bookshelf in the spot at the end of the kitchen cabinets. Then, if you still have the sectional at a right angle, use the dining table like a wide sofa table, and put a lamp on it. Use the remaining space for eating when you don't eat at the sofa. The suggestions about dividing the sectional sound good, too. I imagine that would reduce the length, so you'd be able to acess your balcony door. Don't paint the furniture to make them work in what is likely a temporary space. Another thought is to put the dining table against the wall right next to where I suggested the bookshelf would go. You can pull it out if you have extra guests. The sectional is the crux of the problem, though. Hope you've gotten it all to work. Once you have the furniture placed, have fun placing artwork!

• Wynne Erickson
    hace 7 años

I love your question. I asked a question about paint color once and have been afraid to go back because of the torrent of hatred towards every single thing in my house in the picture! :)

I think you could do a lot just with color -- unifying the color so you have fewer colors going on. And lighter colors would open up the narrowness of the living room/kitchen layout. I would paint the bookcase white, the walls a pale gray (i'm obsessed with Benjamin Moore's Abalone). Then if you could unify the woods of the table and the cabinets so they were more similar in color, that would help. The brighter colors would really help highlight the brick too.

• glofibbish
    hace 7 años

All very good comments, but if you don't like the color of the sofa, can you afford to have slipcovers made? If not, I'd just use a couple of pretty throws and some bright pillows on it. Hope your plan works out. :)

• PRO
    Design Matters TT
    hace 7 años

I see your predicament. Maybe if you close off that door into the bedroom and use the other door as the main entrance. Place the TV unit in front of the wall with the closed off door, and make that the accent wall (to be economical - maybe a large printed fabric hung from a rod at the top ceiling height and bottom - to create a dramatic backdrop of turquoise, white and beige). Then move the sectional sofa anti-clockwise so that you can enter the living space with ease. ///// Also, looks like lighting is unevenly distributed throughout the space. Suggest you paint the kitchen cabinets and the black bookshelf in white. This little change will lighten up the entire space. ///// Keep the red brick wall as it adds character to the room .... and paint all other walls in Sherwin Williams - SOJI WHITE .... which is a soft white. Keep the accents in the turquiose range to add pop.

• smtp
    hace 7 años

if you were able to put up a faux brick wall i assume you can paint the kitchen cupboards white - all of them - and then put in a mirror back splash which should help bring in light to that area. move the bookshelf to abut the kitchen on the brick wall and purge some of your stuff after all you have reduced your living space. remove the table as it is not used daily. paint all walls white, the same white as the kitchen cupboards (benjamin moore cloud white). live with it this way for a while but if you find you want an area to eat at, put a sofa back table or diy to fit against the back of the short arm of the sofa with two chairs so you and your mate can eat and look outside. the table under the tv has to go so either hang the tv from the ceiling or put on narrow glass stand so it is all but invisible. go wild with your favorite colour for pillows and throws and turn the coffee table to run along the shorter sofa length. good luck and keep smiling.

• odonna
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Our Tiny Tack House · Más información

Mount the table top to the wall on a collapsible bracket. When not in use, collapse it so it rests flat against the wall. That will make the space seem larger and more open. When you need to use the table, raise it up, place your chair underneath and you are good to go. Tiny homes are all the rage and are filled with genius space-saving ideas.

• J.V. Curtis
    hace 7 años

Keep what you love! Add large mirrors to brighten and to reflect light. (If you cannot mount mirrors on the brick wall , then stand them up on the floor! And you can use mirrors to line the back of your bookcase shelves and in the kitchen too!)

For paint color- Either pick out a color from the art on the wall and use that to paint that wall OR pick out a color from the carpet and use that to paint the adjoining wall! Enjoy the cozy vibe!

• PRO
    Tristate Sustainable, llc
    hace 7 años

Hi, I have Design/ Build company called TriState Sustainable,llc so I do this for a profession. I work with my clients within their budgets, tastes, and problem solving. It is a mutual discussion...what you love, what you can live without, and what you want to change. I think the brick walls set the tone. Being a rental, I would choose minimal built in and things you can take with you. The colors you love are earth tones, or a zen feeling which shows your love of peace and nature. So let's begin. Like most of the group, love the coffee table. It's totally in sync with the wall. I think floating random shelves on the brick done in a similar rustic wood to your coffee table maybe wth a live edge would be beautiful. It could incorporate your painting, books and objects d'art. Going all white walls is what real estate stagers do. It's safe but doesn't reflect your taste as described. I would do accent color and put it small spaces. For the walls go a light but neutral color. All grays have a tint so it's a good choice. The only place I would use white it is on the kitchen cabinets. They appear too safe a beige and faux antiqued. White would great here. Changing to industrial or contemporary cabinet handles are an inexpensive to update the kichen along with very contemporary island pendants. Hope this is a start. Houzz has photos of all of my suggestions. Anything you are buying or replacing should serve double duty as storage and function. Closet organization can be a huge space saver. Mix glass, metal, wire, stone, and vintage to achieve your look.

Feel free to ask questions. Best, M. Landau

• rstpierre2
    hace 7 años

I just noticed this post. I love the brick wall also. I have owned several homes over my lifetime,in my 60's now, and one of our homes had a small utility room with lots of rough lumber made shelves and a small black desk. upon discovering a new color,of which was a lemon yellow, I was so surprised to see how much the color opened up the room and gave it a distinct attractiveness of its very own personality. It may be a color to consider here.

• Deborah Flowers
    hace 7 años

Hey, Tia, I Loooove that sofa! First off does it come apart? Most sectionals do. If so... uncouple it... I like the photo with it in front of the french doors/windows, but maybe pull it away from the windows more. Can you pull it far enough out to unblock the passage to the door? Or is that a full wall w/ H/A/C and TV unit? I'd like to see more photos....
    It's okay to close in the space and make it cozier.
    Also Love the live edge table, but you might consider using that piece as a headboard instead? In my opinion, coffee tables are soooo over-rated. A smaller, (movable ottoman maybe?) If the wood is too small for your bed or you already have a great bed, you can also just hang it on the wall as art. It is a beautiful piece. And what a great find!
    I really like almost all of the ideas Kendrah listed.
    You say your hubs won't like the TV mounted on the wall, how about some shelving for the books and the TV? And a few plants and treasures.

You could sell the great book shelf. I know good heart pine is expensive, so if your hubs is handy, maybe take it apart and use it as the shelving? But not black. strip it down to natural? Use as many of the parts as possible.
    And please no blue paint!!!! Just my opinion. I believe you can't go wrong with white, eggshell, or pale gray. Though you have to be careful with tones in many grays.
    Anyway, just wanted to say hey, and tell you I love the sofa. Big as it is... or broken into two pieces.
    In two months I'm moving into a teeny tiny studio in a barn, in South Carolina. That will be a trip! But I have lots of ideas swirling in my head... I too have a few pieces that I really want to keep. Or couldn't sell or afford to replace. And I'll be schelpping it from California to SC. I can't wait to get started there.
    All the best... and just remember, decorating is a process... try something... if you don't like it, move it. If after three or four tries you can't make it work, maybe it's best to let it go.

• PRO
    Tristate Sustainable, llc
    hace 7 años

Hi M. Landau,

if your main focus is paint color, I have a few tips. Unfortunately on our computer monitors dont reflect accurately or the same.

2. Color is reactive. It reacts to scale, light, and each to other colors in the room.

3. In a room with average (8 ft.) ceilings stay on the light side unless it's a small area. Use a bright white trim to pop your color

4. On my iPad your green test color is quite gray and neutral not scrub green and the sofa changes from dark to light with the light coming in.

5. Dealing with testing paint. The way you did it is great because it's in your light.

6. Take a throw pillow along to the paint store for color family but go more gray and lighter. Your colors look beautiful together.

Attaching a photo that I hope will help. Paint stores can now match any color so one time I actually asked them to match a silk camisole. :)

Have fun with this, Don't let anyone bully you.

Best, M. Landau ( P.S. Island light fixture is fine.)

• balou79
    hace 7 años
    I love the brick wall as well! I'm no decorating expert but thought a compliment never hurts : )
  • Gayle Colleen
    hace 7 años

I would paint the brick white. I would paint the kitchen cabinet white. I would get rid of the coffee table. It's too big and bulky. Wall color, depends on the vibe you want. Since it's a small space I would go with a modern light color. Some type of grey but very light. Get a coordinating rug to go with your lamps and throw pillows. Try to have all your accessories the same metal and same with your kitchen pulls and handles. I would suggest polished chrome for a modern feel. throw in some colorful lamps with matching pillows like orange or bright blue or bring out those colors in your painting. Get rid of as much clutter as you can or hide it. keep the color theme the same throughout the condo for a cohesive look. Hang a big clock or art work on the brick wall.

• ayshasaeed99
    hace 7 años

Hi,

I hope you like my suggestions. You have a nice place. If I were you I would change the center table to a glass one so that the room looks spacious. I would substitute the wall picture for something that is lighter in colour and gives a calming serene feel. There is a rack in brown colour in the other room which I will paint in white or a pastel colour. I think that just going for lighter colors and glass furniture will do the trick and make your house look more classy and spacious. You can also use mirrors on certain walls to make it look like a bigger room.

• Brenda
    hace 7 años

I love your home! And you've had many great ideas posted. And decorating is a "journey", not a destination, your tastes change over the years so just have fun with it! I didn't read every suggestion, so someone may have already mentioned this: Take the brick colors from the painting above the sofa for pillows....you've already used the sky-colors and the addition of the brick-colors would add some pop to your room! Check out discount or thrift stores (Goodwill) for sofa pillows.....your investment will be very low, $3 to $6.....and will give you a great "in-person" idea what works or not....btw, save your reciept!....if the colors are just awful, return the pillows!!!

• Paula Grace Anderson
    hace 7 años

I do agree. It is a journey and the most important thing is to enjoy the process and leArn from each stage. I did suggest reflecting warm brick colors such as terra-cotta and peach and Keeping the brick wall as is. Plants and cushions can reflect these warm colors too. You could do accent walls in these elsewhere perhaps? The coffee table is nice but monopolizes space. Do you need it?

Most of all , trust your own feelings and take it all stage by stage.

Sincerely

a Houzz reader.

• mboutin7
    hace 7 años

Big picture, think of what the overall necessary spaces might need to be, dining and living I assume. Each area, dining and living needs to have some thing that catches your eye specific to that area. First, put a corbel on the wall up at the ceiling to visually separate the areas without losing floor space. A rug with stripes or a rug placed diagonally to widen the room. Rotate the couch so that it hugs the brick and the end wall. Put a nicely upholstered seating bench with a back, no sides and storage underneath against the wall closer to the kitchen with a narrow table. If you could purchase or repurpose an interesting chair or two that could face the living room area ( where the end of the sectional is now) these could be turned around to use at the table when needed. Add color with those interesting chair, a rug, pillows, throw, or wall art side tables. Not sure about the bookcase. Probably relocate to another room, lay it sideways, paint and make into a TV cabinet. Or cut down for a side table and cover with a nice pierce of wood or marble tiles? Good luck

• Collette
    hace 7 años
    Did you consider taupe as your color with your soft aqua or teal? Might work because it's between your desired gray and brown tones in your brick. If you choose a lighter version, it could add interest and warmth to your space and the blue tones you like would compliment nicely and add your pop.
  • ginanyc
    hace 7 años

These are some of the best ideas I've read on Houzz so far!!!! Thank you..And Tia Celine, I love your apartment. Do whatever makes you happy.

• Karen Bice
    hace 7 años

I like it, but it would also be ok with the couch turned and tv on the wall, as a previous poster mentioned. It's nice to have adequate seating for guest.

• Karen Bice
    hace 7 años

I like it, but it would also be ok with the couch turned and tv on the wall, as a previous poster mentioned. It's nice to have adequate seating for guest.

• laurierinaldi
    hace 7 años

I have a differing opinion on the bricks. Would the landlord allow you to paint them? You could use a white with a very light green tint, so it still looks white, but green based instead of blue base. If your could paint the bricks the same color as the rest of the walls, it would make the small room feel larger.

• janeteastman
    hace 7 años

If possible, I would remove the bookcase and put the books on small ikea floating shelves on the tiny wall space beside the kitchen counter and on the wall opposite, by the couch arm. It looks like that wall space is about 12 -14 inches wide so you could get a few books per shelve and probably 5 shelves per side.

• ryanp1
    hace 7 años

Why not split the sofa.half on one side of the t.v. half on the other. Really you should lose the coffee table and have 2 small round drink tables.

• bhindman39
    hace 7 años

Will the TV fit in the bookcase (shelve can be removed?) and paint it a light color. This will solve 2 problems - TV not on wall, and stand gone. iIf you read, bookcases are a necessity. IMHO. Can husband cut and hinge table top? If so, this will create more room and do double duty: place for dinner w/guests and a work station.

• Andrea
    hace 7 años

my first thoughts and when seeing the photo were to put a wider whitewashed frame around the wall art, move the bookshelf to the wall that the desk is on and hang a fabric of sortsf from it to soften the look ( ommand hooks and scarves?). also put fabric over the black furniture to match the couch tones. this will pull the area together.

move the desk to sit against the back of the kitchen counter to open up the walking space. I'd paint the wall a light beige or off white (match it with the tones in your picture) to make the small space feel more open...actually, you could paint just the wall with the zebra an accent color or zebra stripes to make the wall pop.

a stainless steel refrigerator may help modernize the space without taking away its character. a wall style wine rack or more wall shelving would give you more counter space.

hope this helps, A

• Tia Celine
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    OMG!!! Wow!

There are so many great suggestions here!!

Sorry, I've been MIA for an entire month. I had some difficult family stuff to deal with and I've been travelling a lot, too. Sadly, I haven't had time to do anything with my place yet, either.
    But contrary to the opinion of "Sophie Wheeler" in this thread, I'm not trolling and
    YOUR IDEAS ARE NOT MOOT (FYI: Houzz removed the previous discussion where I was chewed out. This is why you couldn't find it, Sophie).
    In fact, I'M SO GRATEFUL FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU for taking your time to give me such valuable advice.
    Especially:
    - "carolynsmimi" for your many nice comments - you're so fun and personable and I really appreciate how caring you've been in this thread.
    - "boundsgreener" for correcting my misunderstanding on dark blue as navy blue - I've been looking at lots of Hague blue now and love it!
    - "simplynatural" for the AMAZING 3D mockup done in Sketchup - it's sooo cool!
    - "Fran McCarty" and "andrealew" for taking the time to manually sketch your floor plan ideas - you two are awesome!
    - many others who invested a lot of time to write out lengthy, well-thought out suggestions.

But sincerely, everyone here has provided some really good things for me to consider. I admit, I might have a bit too many options to ponder, but hopefully, I can narrow things down.

I have a very hectic work schedule coming up, but I hope to get started on this in a few weeks. So far, I think I'm gonna go with:
    - definitely a light creamy yellow, or beige-ish paint throughout
    - definitely painting the bookcase a lighter colour (white or light grey) and moving it to the brick wall
    - definitely getting rid of my desk in the bedroom
    - maybe moving my dining table to the den and using it as my desk instead
    - maybe a Hague blue feature wall in the front hallway or bottom of the kitchen island
    - maybe looking for a new TV stand
    - maybe making a DIY ottoman-coffee table combo with my live edge coffee table
    - maybe seeing if my landlord would allow me to get her new white kitchen cabinets (she was cool enough to let me put up the faux brick because I promised to take it down and redo the walls before we leave, which won't be for a few more years, as we're saving to buy our own home one day)
    Thoughts on the above?
  • cda1028
    hace 7 años

Just every time you want to make an improvement ask "would I rather have this now or own my own home one day sooner?" Even cheap paint costs money. I came from a military family that stayed in each place no longer than three years, often a year at a time. Every house looked nice and got compliments. It's the stuff on the walls and the fabrics that set the mood. They go with you. (Beware of window coverings! No house has the same window count or size. For windows, go with semi-sheers). I have owned my own houses (5 in 40 years). They sell even in slow markets within the first few people who see them. The last one sold to one of my daughter's friends before I even put a sign up. New owners always want to do things their own way, so I concentrate on good repair and cleanliness which makes living in the house enjoyable and lets me sell in As Is condition which makes selling and buying win-win. I expect to be in this house until I move to assisted living (though I also think I can age-in-place successfully here) and my children will profit.

• Ori Rave
    hace 7 años

Hi tia,

I am a carpenter and I do all houses, large and tiny, and also custom pieces. there is much you can do, but in a tight budget here are my 5 top sugestions:

1. move the tv to the wall since it seems to partially block your main source of light. yes, where the painting is. if you are able to, you can put the painting on a strip of wood with hinges in front of the tv so you can hide it when you are not watching. you will not gaze at the screen of the tv and at the painting at the same time, right?

2. paint the huge ikea bookscase a bright color you like. it is imposing and black and is darkening the space. I would go with light blue gray and use a color that contains some wax. they are easy to aply with a brush, have good coverage, and look great. you will find such at decking suply stores.

3. turn the corner sofa to face the tv and the large window. store the cofee table which I am guessing is a sentimental piece because it has no aesthetic merit outside valhala and replace the rug which is dark and two dimentional with something smaller, lighter, more plush and inviting. you can go second hand, this is not your home sweet home only a temp solution.

4. under the desk there is something dark which is hard to see. get rid of it and hinge the table from the wall so you can fold it down when you dont need it. if you must keep it, paint it some light pastel to match your new rug and put it on wheels so you can move it out of the way. the space there looks like a botleneck and needs to be uncorcked.

5. about the walls, you can go for an elaborate gradual paint scheme that uses a main color like cream or sand and make it slightly lighter the further away you get from the big window to compensate for the darkness of the rest of the space. but this is a pro job and you need to know what you are doing or it can go wrong fast. another good option is to use a very light and welcoming main color on most of the walls and chose just one or two small interest walls, paint them another complementing color and just add a good sconce light. dont put any ornaments on the interest walls except the lights, and keep the decoration count low. small ceramics on dedicated shelfs, some arts and crafts items, and such. avoid the large prints in such a small space they look like you are trying too hard.

hope you get it right and enjoy it alot

ori.

• Ori Rave
    hace 7 años

tia,

I must ammend my last suggestion. you already have an interest wall, the stone wall behind the sofa. remove the painting, hang the TV on the center of the wall and put a clasic light sconce on each side, about a hand away and near the top of the tv. it will give the space some misterious romantic interest and sidestep the size issue in your minds eye. the rest of the house look for one of the modern pastels, something with a name like "rose petal sunset" or "hariets favorite tafeta cream"... they work more on the subhues and less on the primaries and add more for they eye to be busy with to forget the small size. here is where I would go with premium quality paint and rollers, the space id small and the difference will be big. and get rid of the something black you have under the TV. you dont need it.

good luck

Ori.

• V Will
    hace 7 años

Hi,I'd Iike to know a little bit more.

1. How do you want your space to feel like when you come home? (Relaxed, luxurious, glam, or fun)- the color you want on the walls should mimic this. Light opens up. Dark colors close in. If your fond of teal, choose a lighter color in that color family.

2. What is your favorite design style? Modern, Vintage, French Country, Traditional. This will help with minor details like shelving style or more.

3. Can the sofa be seperated? Or can you move it to sit in front of the window? The back facing the window & the side up against the brick wall? Is it possible? This will open the space.

For really small spaces, your walls & ceiling height are your best friends, as well as double-duty transitional furniture. Remember to Build up on your walls, and not the floor. This can be done VERY inexpensively. Thrift shops, home depot or lowe's has reclaimed wood you can use on the walls- preferably the brick wall. Make them into a bookshelf. Move the black bookshelf into another room. Take the table out, and opt for a less bulky desk that affixes to the wall. It would be really cool to have a surface that goes up on the wall and is pulled down as a desk.

For inspiration on small spaces IKEA is a winner. Look through the catalog and you'll find a ton of ideas.

GOD Bless!

• Diane Gilmore
    hace 7 años

I'm sure your all done and very happy by now with your choices.......But, just in case you haven't finished.......My thoughts are: paint color, Benjamin Moore Monroe Bisque flat on all walls, it has a tendency to look, beige, sand, light gold, and even pale yellow depending on light and has a wonderful light glow at night with lights on. Then paint kitchen cabinets and woodwork Benjamin Moore Dove White satin, has a soft white look, not stark. Depending on size of sofa, turn so back now against lovely brick wall will now separate space between dining and living room areas. Hang deco feature centered on sofa. Turn table to go into room, not against wall, you can even push it closer to sofa when needed for guest space when entertaining. Remove black shelving unit to another room, hang tv on wall. I hope you are enjoying your space. Obviously your home is important to you.

Diane Gilmore

degilmore@Hotmail.com

• annamkw53
    hace 7 años

Turn the lights on, shoot toward the reflector-not the space-

• Sally Nunley
    hace 7 años

I really love how contemporary the brick wall and your coffee table are. My only suggestion would to add more pieces such as that to keep the space open!

• PRO
    Coldwell Banker/Lake Payne
    hace 7 años

I love the brick wall. I would paint the bookcase and maybe even think of another location for it? look for some pillowcases that will bring out the brick wall. Great space

• lifethrifter nonya
    hace 7 años

well, I think you have some nice pieces and you seem pretty brave to come back for advise. Are you looking for a brighter look? or a way to combine the pieces you already have? Your couch looks very comfy and feels like you could just curl up. i think maybe the green is trying too hard, warm light pinky beige might be a warmer cozy tone, I might be the one to get hammered here now...but I think it would tie in the art and warm up your room but still be "neutral"??

• Marcia Uminski-Weissman
    hace 7 años

I would tend to agree with suggestions so far, but to me, the "coffee table" looks out of place and "heavy", just my opinion. I think putting the table (?) with the chair along the back of the couch seems good,, or why do you even need it?? Also, the book shelf looks out of scale.. can you store the books elsewhere?? I would paint all other walls a light color, otherwise the place is going to look too"busy" and crowded.. Put bar stools up to the kitchen bar and use that as eating space, or buy a second hand glass coffee table to give a less crowded look? I have been remodeling my house with help, but after a while i tend to look at things more with a "Designers" eye.. but you should do what you like. Youre living there!

• dallasannie
    hace 7 años

I took one look at the view outside your window over the couch and realized that I instantly recognized Toronto! Our son and his wife just recently moved from that area. The lived down near the Sobeys off of Spadina.

I think your apartment is just fine the way it is. The only advice I would give is that you continue to live with as little clutter and as few material possessions as you can so as not to fill up the small space.

Other than that, it seems that light colored surfaces will reflect the most light.

Your sofa takes up a lot of room, but what else are you going to do in that room anyway, but sofa related activities. Sure, you could have smaller seating in there, but it will not make the space any bigger, anyway. So I would just suggest that you live with what you have. It is really pretty good. Just don't fill it up with unnecessary stuff.

Remember that when you are looking for shelves, or containers, or whatever to store your stuff the reality is that you probably have too much stuff. Live a simple life and your apartment looks just fine.

• V G
    hace 7 años

You can liven any room up with pillows and paint. It looks like the couch can be seperated so I would do that so the sections face each other to make a conversation area. Put a small table or truck in middle of sofas. Mix metal wood and glass to add some interest.. Work with the green sofa by staying in the green family with paint. Don't make green paint too dark it will make the sofa look too big. Oversize mirrors that lean against the wall works great to bounce light

• grannysueannie
    hace 7 años

Has anyone posted this suggestion? Put the table up against the peninsula, short side close. Bookshelf on brick wall close to kitchen. It is difficult to see exactly how much space is there. To have access to bookshelf and still be able to walk from kitchen to living room. Adding pillows and more furniture (even small) would look cluttered and cobbled. Maybe paint the bookshelf to match walls?

• Louise McCarthy
    hace 7 años

I don't have any input, I just want to let you know that my taste is quite similar to yours. And I moved across the country because I couldn't afford to stay in California, SC is now my new home. Not sure yet how I feel about that.

• PRO
    Silver Alliance Realty
    hace 7 años

Cute home. I would add floating shelves (great for some books, photos or art work) on brick wall with TV mounted to brick wall. Keep your living room section near the window as you currently have it with sofa facing brick wall and kitchen. Get rid of the black shelving (too depressing) and open up that area (good feng shui). I would try a light small shelving unit between living area and kitchen with a pull out table unit for dining. Keep it simple but functional. Have fun.

• karen_e_mcguire
    hace 7 años

I agree with painting in light gray, would coordinate well with the sectional... while I like the brick wall too, wonder if you could paint it too? Guess it depends on whether it is real brick, & whether the property owner would permit you to do so. I also like the suggestions on hanging your TV - while you may want to use the table it sits on, might could use/move it elsewhere to give you more living area foot space. We have hung a couple of TV's in areas that are tight.... but we used a ceiling mount rather than a wall mount. Light gray and light gray to blue is a very popular color right now. Also if you have not painted yet, consider shopping for Sherwin Williams paints, they run a 40% off about 3-4 times a year, and 30% pretty routinely, but their paint does not drip as much as the big box stores. Good Luck!

• jaymt
    hace 7 años

I can see Benjamin Moore's Iron Mountain with that brick. My sister recommended it to me and I love it in our very small living room. We used ulti-matte. It is neutral and very cozy at night. I have always felt that dark walls recede making an area seem larger.

• office8493
    hace 7 años

Sure you are finished and happy by now. If not, here are a few ideas. If you can not separate the sectional, the layout "allnatural" posted (the angled positioned sectional) looks good, but I would put an archlamp in the space where she put a plant. Move the table against the penincula with two chairs, some loftstile, funny ones, I would go with orange.you can catch up with some orange throw pillows. Can you get rid of that bookshelf? Maybe into another room? If absolutly not, paint it in a light grey, put it against the nice brickwall and use it as a shelf and table by adding a fitting wood the size you need resting on one shelve and a single leg on the other side, painted with the bookshelf. You can put two or three chairs, same as above. But then you have to remove the table you have. Stick to the white colour, paint the back of the peninsula, get some new light. Put the art you have on the wall where the bookshelve is now, if possible buy a few more mirrors matching the one you have and arrange tham on the brickwall where the sectional is(as a groop) . Make your second bedroom a working/guest combo. One other thing, if you do not need the second door to the bedroom, declutter that wall! Close that doorgap with plywood and paint it with the wall. Good luck

• aeg02190
    hace 7 años

I am assuming you cannot change or paint the cabinets or brick because this is an apartment. And you moved here to cut costs! I would mostly try to cull things out. Not sure if the desk top is fixed to the base, but if you can change it out and do with a bit less space, replace it with a narrower piece. Also, opt for minimizing the books. I am a book person, but when I moved I donated about a third of what I had. Since then more have gone. I only kept a couple of my favorite cook books. Everything is online now; just Google it! If you can find a smaller book case, maybe it can hold the books and the tv. Then put the coffee table where the book case is and hang a mirror and hooks above it. It will be useful, inexpensive, and it will lighten the space. De clutter wherever you can. I never had a house with extra storage, so for me having fewer things was always necessary.

Don't spend much money on your redo. Seems like your motivation for moving was saving money, so buy a few same color accessories to tie the space together, love your space, and use your extra money for whatever you need it for.

• Linda W.
    hace 7 años

I happen to like what you've done. One thought, instead of the black bookcase on the right wall, would a lower bookcase fit along the back of the short section of the sofa? The brick wall might be softened with a tall plant.

• 76hmh
    hace 6 años

I'm sorry I don't have anything further to add to the fantastic suggestions already made.......but I have to ask...What brand/where'd you purchase your sofa? It looks so comfortable and is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.