Houzz Logo Print
tjustice354

Please help! I would so love to redo this UGLY fireplace made of brick

Tj Justice
hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
My fireplace is UGLY as you can see it needs a makeover BAD! I have been wanting to do something to it, but I need some ideas. I really do not like the brick and the mantle is horrific. Please help!

Comentarios (90)

• Katherine D
    hace 11 años
    How about just removing the mantle altogether and just leave the fireplace plain? Sometimes brick can look quite nice if it is appropriate to the age of the house. But really, if you can't stand it, why not slap some wood over it or pull it out and replace with some natural stone?
  • bdennison
    hace 11 años
    I don't remember who first posted this, but it is very intriguing. http://www.brick-anew.com/ Take a look at the before and afters. Looks like an excellent and easy project. Good luck
  • juniperjo
    hace 11 años
    tjustice354, were you asking me how much the plaster + mantel would cost? I'm not sure about the plaster part (hard part would be finding someone who could do it; plasterers are members of a dying guild), but I would guess about $500-1000 for the mantel including the carpenter's time and materials? (Depends on how ornate you want to get; paint-grade poplar will definitely save you money over quarter-sawn oak, walnut, or cherry.)
  • PRO
    Coastal Home Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    I would go with rock to the top (You can go over the brick with it) and a rustic piece of wood for the mantle. We have used the material in the pic in many different applications.
  • Rare Bird
    hace 11 años
    like that idea bdennison
  • Sherry Johnston
    hace 11 años
    I have the same issue with my brick fireplace. Just going to keep up with the discussion.
  • PRO
    Craftsman Construction
    hace 11 años
    Here is a really ugly fireplace that we converted. The finished product is slate tiles and a mantle kit that i modified.
  • PRO
    Old Carolina(R) Handmade Brick Co
    hace 11 años
    Look at Genuine Handmade Thin Brick or Fireplace Kits at www.handmadebrick.com - exquisite, handmade br
  • runningdeer
    hace 11 años
    My fireplace was similar to yours. Don't paint it-that's a terrible mistake that's hard to fix. The clean brick and joints make for a good mechanical bond with thinset mortar. My bricks were not in a flat perfect alignment , so I used thinset to level the surface and screwed cement board into the bricks with special masonry screws , before setting travertine tiles. Do the hearth first, perhaps with 12" tiles and try different sizes and combinations of tiles for the vertical surface. I stained my existing oak mantel grey to go with the travertine. Plan for the attachment of the mantel before setting the tile. Good luck!
  • PRO
    David Manning Architecture
    hace 11 años
    This is a great challenge. I think my website has a pic of the Pemberton Place house. We covered a stone fireplace with rectangular, smooth, 2" thick limestone and a 1/4" steel plate surround for a modern look. Just a thought...
  • PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    hace 11 años
    There are a lot of great ideas posted with some very nice pictures. Being a stone manufacturer, I am for covering the existing brick with a thin stone veneer. The stone veneer can be applied directly over the existing brick and the selection of the stone style and color will dramatically influence the feel of the room. A cobble stone will create a more formal look and a ledge stone style will create a more informal feel. Below are some examples of the before brick fireplace and the new fireplace with our stone veneer.
  • PRO
    Old Carolina(R) Handmade Brick Co
    hace 11 años
    Real handmade brick are so much prettier
  • jwbarry
    hace 11 años
    Definitely fir it out and drywall over it. Attached is what I did and it turned out great. Good luck.
  • digidana
    hace 11 años
    ya, the brick is bad...i don't like brick either. our fireplace was almost as bad. it was only 16" deep, so we had to build it out too. we wanted to turn it back into fire burning and 16" wouldn't do it. so we built it out, covered it in tan/brown granite tiles, recessed a spot for the tv, trimmed it out, and the actual mantle is from lowes. it was only like $150-ish. your fireplace isn't that big so it wouldn't be that expensive to cover it in some really cool tiles.
  • Brenda
    hace 11 años
    I'm actually liking the brick ... not crazy about the mantel or the nick nacks on it though ...
  • PRO
    BVZ Architects
    hace 11 años
    If you just don't like the look of brick, in general, nothing you can do to it will make it not be brick. So, covering it up with another material is your easiest solution. The tough decision is what material to cover it with. If you'd like a more contemporary look, you could cover it with wood-look wall panels (www.melatile.com), acid-stained fiber cement board (acid washed just as a concrete slab would be), various metals (corten, stainless, copper, etc.), or any combination. Good luck with your project!
  • PRO
    CGH Design LLC
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Your current mantle is lookstoo high up on the wall especially with tall objects on it and not very attractive in my opinion. I would start with making a nice mantle and surround like the upper left picture of the very first post (beach theme one). It can be wood stained or white like the pic. From there, if you wish to cover more brick, drywall or mdf above new your new mantle. Then finally, if you still do not like the color of what is left of your exposed brick with a new mantle and surround, go ahead and paint it. The reason I say to save painting the brick to last is it is very, very hard to remove once it done. I wish the previous owners of my 1930's cape colonial had not painted the brick.
  • PRO
    Anatomy Of Style
    hace 11 años
    I would defineatly hire a designer to come in and evaluate. It depends on many factors: your budget, your style, your goals and whether you plan to sell in the next several years. I am a fan of stacked ledgerstone for a transitional updated look or smooth tiles for a modern look.
  • PRO
    Anatomy Of Style
    hace 11 años
    This is the ledger-stone I am installing on a project right now.
  • kasp1021
    hace 11 años
    For a more clean-lined, contemporary look, mosaic tile over the brick would be fabulous and fairly easy. You can buy them in 12" x 12" sheets. I have seen fireplaces covered in distressed wood planks and that would be a more traditional, but not ordinary, route.
  • lboneil
    hace 11 años
    Lowe's sells a product called AirStone. I just saw it the other day, and I think we are going to use it to cover our brick fireplace. I agree with those who say don't paint it. Ours was originally painted when we moved in and we ended up stripping the paint off because it looked terrible. But stripping the paint off was a huge pain.
  • Tj Justice
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks I will check this out
  • mauigalrn
    hace 11 años
    Hi! I used brick-anew and could not be happier! It's 4 different shades of paint, so it looks like real brick. We've lived here for 7 years and I have hated that brick fireplace the entire time! Changes the look of our home completely! Love it! Good luck!
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    hace 11 años
    You could tile over it. Here is a photo of a fireplace I designed for a client. The original fireplace was brick that went to the ceiling just like yours, except my client had cathedral ceilings and a niche to the right that I added custom built bookcase into. We covered over top of the brick by adding cement board for the tile to go on. I have an album of other ideas of fireplace projects that I have done for my clients on my Houzz page.
  • Tj Justice
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    This is Beautiful and would be like something I would like to do. Was this very hard? I do have experience in doing tile. I have previously done a tile back splash in my kitchen as well as a tile floor.
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    hace 11 años
    I would rate this project hard to do, especially for the do-it-yourselfer. Only you would know if your experience level to be able to determine if you felt comfortable enough to tackle a job like this or not.

I designed this fireplace with a combination of several different materials. The main field tile on the front is a natural travertine stone in a 12x12 size. The resin crown and rope moldings that are adding the architectural details are from Dal Tile, from their Fashion Accents line. The column, straight valance and arched valances at the top, the mantel and bookcase were all made from hardwood that was painted to match the travertine tiles with an oil base paint. I talked my client into going with a similar travertine look but in a 12x12 porcelain tiles on the hearth area for easy cleaning.
  • lintaylor
    hace 11 años
    Your house looks really traditional, how about a take on the old black and white. paint the brick white and beef up the mantel extending in to the sides and going all the way to the floor. Or switch the colors, black brick and white mantel-very classy. I would fill that space between the brick and window with the wood for the mantel legs, making it blend and giving the fireplace more presence.
  • cwempdog
    hace 11 años
    Take a look at the Young House Love website, link below. They redid their fireplace and have step by step instructions on how they did it and the cost also.

http://www.younghouselove.com/2013/03/fireplace-makeover-stick-a-fork-in-it/
  • cinderellaslipper
    hace 10 años
    I would suggest putting a painted wooden surround on it and some attractive tiles to cover the inner run of bricks, then hanging a large picture or mirror above it, which amounts to a few drill holes for fixings and being neat with the tile adhesive and grout...not bad for a weekend project.
  • sbrustein
    hace 10 años
    Painting is an easy solution. Here are my before and after done recently with input from the Houzz community.
  • Tj Justice
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful! Seems like this opens up the room. Did you spray or brush? Also what kind of prep did you have to do if any?
  • Kathleen Coleman
    hace 10 años
    I like your living room very much just the way it is except for the positioning of the leather chair. I would take out the bookcase and then there is room for the chair and lamp. The game board if you think it is necessary would look better in front of the chair instead of standing alone in front of the fireplace. The couch would look nice if it matched the chair.
  • PRO
    Lorrie Finkel
    hace 10 años
    It depends what your budget is and look that your looking for in this room . I think that is an important focal point for the eyes .
  • ppipis
    hace 10 años
    I need help!!!! What can I do to make it look better hate the brick. Never use the wood stove no option to change to gas too expensive got quotes of $ 5,000.00. Should I remove the whole thing? but is the only fireplace what about resale value.
  • Kathleen Coleman
    hace 10 años
    I have had the same dilemma and I have decided to keep it.
  • Kathleen Coleman
    hace 10 años
    I have family picture's in different picture frames medium to small size and it look's great.
  • mlou72
    hace 10 años
    Whitewash it before you do anything. If you don't like that then paint it.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Would keep this posted as a Dilemma until I had "after" pix to show results.
  • Kathleen Coleman
    hace 10 años
    I like it just the way it is.
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    hace 10 años
    paint the brick white and get a carpenter to do a bigger white mantel that surround the outside of the brick.
  • PRO
    David Manning Architecture
    hace 10 años
    I personally love fireplaces. But. you could cap the flue and remove the fireplace and the interior brick, then refinish sheetrock. and store the wood burning stove in case of resale. If you kept it, I would consider doing something about the edge of the interior brick, maybe placing 10 x 10 wood column beside it so the brick butts up against it....cool problem you have there,,,
  • merles51
    hace 10 años
    We had the same problem. My husband sheet rocked over the top half of the brick. I think it came out nice.
  • Kathleen Coleman
    hace 10 años
    Looks nice.
  • myrnamargaret
    hace 10 años
    Try painting the mantel a rusty red/brown. I have the same style mantel and a red brick fireplace wall. The mantel was a veneer oak and didn't go with anything. I tried painting it a gray to go with the grout but that looked sad. So tried the rust in semi-gloss and it looks as if it belongs. I love the brick in its natural color. After painting the mantel, if you still don't like it you can always do something else.
  • bungalowmo
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    4th post in this thread was one of my favorites. I highly suggest not going with white! The smoke from the fire will discolor it & you'll constantly be playing catch up! My neighbor's is a gloss white & it makes her crazy!

I also like mauigalrn's idea above from last April

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/post-some-before-and-after-pictures-of-your-fireplace-renovation-dsvw-vd~807600
  • PRO
    California Closets
    hace 10 años
    Painting over the brick is a great option!
  • aherbert88
    hace 9 años
    We ripped out our old mantle which was horrific and I ordered a new oak one from someone on Ebay who makes them! Its changed the room, we love it now.
  • Kathleen Coleman
    hace 9 años
    Look's nice .I would cut back on the pot's and owl at the fireplace I would keep the upper ledge of the fire place empty. The mirror will be enough.
  • pdk920
    hace 8 años

Lots of good ideas here. Having removed white paint from my 1930 house's mantel back in the '70s, I don't favor painting brick unless it's hideous. But there are many good alternatives including a nice, plain solid wood mantel, one which isn't so ornate that it needs a castle or a mansion to set it off. Natural wood, or paint it any color you choose.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.