Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_haukdiers

Basement Floor Moisture Issue

Tiffany Hauk Diers
hace 7 años

Hello,

Our basement has a perimeter drain tile system and sump pump. When we set totes directly on the basement concrete floor, moisture collects underneath and we've been running a dehumidifier so levels are good. We had a company come and put a penetrating sealant down and that did not resolve the issue. I've been reading up on drylok and epoxy coatings, but neither seem to be the best at adhearing to concrete with moisture issues. I see several subfloor options on the market, but it seems like that is just covering up the issue. Waterproofing companies seem to be stumped and cannot offer up a guaranteed solution. Trying to understand the best way to resolve the moisture issue before we finish the basement.

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    Connecticut Basement Systems
    hace 7 años

Hi Tiffany! You should check out Basement Systems ThermalDry flooring! They have plenty of options based on what you need. Feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.

http://www.basementsystems.com/basement-finishing/basement-flooring/thermaldry-floor-system.html

• worthy
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

If you're not finding liquid water, the likely sources are: 1) vapour diffusion through the concrete due to the inevitable pressure differential between the soil and the basement interior; 2) interior humidity hitting the cold basement floor. (See here for an impartial expert summary of moisture management in basements.)

Instead of wasting more money trying to transform the concrete into a water/vapour barrier, use a subfloor system that equalizes pressure and protects the finished floor surface.

• malba2366
    hace 7 años

I would recommend using a subfloor product such as dricore which creates a small channel under the floor for small amounts of water.

• dgeist
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

To the worthy's "inevitable" point, unless the slab is done REALLY well, you're going to end up with water under the concrete somewhere, and concrete wicks. I've yet to see a "normally produced" home that has the poly under the slab done completely right (i.e. all seams taped, penetrations from pipes sealed, use of non-sharp gravel to avoid small punctures). Once that small amount of moisture is in your slab, You can deal with that small amount a few ways. 1) use a subfloor system that permits the moisture through but attempts to provide a drying or draining mechanism and keeps it away from the finished floor for it. 2) Cover the concrete in something with a very low vapor permeability that won't rot or degrade and make an insulating vapor barrier (i.e. XPS foam board) under your flooring. Your "tote" is a perfect example of this. All the water under that container was kept there until you lifted it. Imagine one large unbroken tote from wall to wall. Unless you have running water, this will keep the ambient moisture in the slab right where it is if done well. 3) Use a flooring product that is semi permeable, like stone or tile, and simply condition / dehumidify the space and be mindful of what is left sitting on the floor. If you try to use a masonry flooring that blocks the water, it may loose its bond over time from vapor pressure.

Here's a good BSC article explaining the basics: https://buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-103-understanding-basements

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.