Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Plantation shutters? White shutters with wood window trim?

joyce_6333
hace 11 años
DH and I are considering plantation shutters for our great room. The room has a lot of wood, even a wood vaulted ceiling. Fireplace is wood, built in bookcases are wood, and there are columns and dividers made of wood, too. We love the craftsman/lodge style. Our large windows face west, and we've had solar shades for nearly 2 years. We get a lot of sunlight in this room, and at times it's overwhelming. We've now discussed putting shutters on the windows, and DH thinks they should be white. I just can't imagine this! I would so appreciate others opinions. We'd consider most anything except painting all the wood white. I understand that this is the current trend, but it's just not us. I've attached pictures of the room without furniture. And a picture looking into the room from the entrance. Thanks so much!!

Comentarios (12)

• joyce_6333
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Sorry for the rotated picture. Hopefully this will work
  • PRO
    User
    hace 11 años
    I agree with you and think white would look too stark and unconnected to the rest of the room.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    I agree with you, I would not do white. What about some natural type material like the woven ones in the attached? [houzz=
    Karla Trincanello, NJ CID; ASID Allied · Más información
    ]
  • PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Hi Joyce, I do like the wood, and i would consider wood for plantation shutters. They may look a little busy for the room. I would get one in advance to try out, in front of one window first, without installing.Also, get them hinged so you can have the windows as 'open look' again. Also how about accordian type, free standing room dividers. You could move them in front or remove, take them out them as you wish!
  • Patty Eades
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    No white, love this room........wooden plantation shutters, love them, if you have to have something.....good luck ...lowers only
  • joyce_6333
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks everyone for validating what I was feeling. I also love the look of the woven woods, but since we would need to open and close them, DH felt it was too high for the upper windows when we mat want to pull them up and down. If we do shutters, we would definitely get them hinged, and get the 4 1/2 inch slats for more openness. Would it looks odd to have different treatments on the upper and lower windows??
  • Cat Rowe
    hace 9 años
    Joyce I have the same dilemma. I am doing wood shutters on certain windows and drapes panels on others. It is definitely ok to have different treatments. I am doing wood shutters on those windows flanking the fireplace and curtain panels of Kathryn M Ireland Fez Palm fabric in electric blue on the three windows on the long wall. Then I can pull those closed. (Please ignore the furniture in the photo. It is the former owner, which is gone now)
  • O C
    hace 3 meses

Hello, I am considering the same question of wood and white shutters. Interested in what you did in the end, albeit 10yrs ago! Any photos of the shutters in with the wood? Would appreciate if you can post?

• O C
    hace 3 meses

:/

• O C
    hace 2 meses

Thanks so much for replying and posting pictures even so much later in time and even after.you moved! The place looks great with shutters. I see wood + wood shutters and a wonderful room! This helps a lot for me, I think matching wood frames and wooden shutters or white and white works better than mixing the two 😉 thanks again 👍🏽

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.