Houzz Logo Print
donnamariecarrier

Front door is not centered in foyer

Donna Carrier
hace 11 años
My front door is not centered in my foyer. What can I do in decorating so as to detract from the placement of the door? Also, I am conflicted as to what kind of foyer light to use as it will not be centered with the door if it hangs too far down. The ceiling is ten feet tall and the foyer measures 8 x 8. What size light would be in proportion to this size space?

Comentarios (21)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 11 años
    The simplest way to deal this is to trick the eye. If you place a large mirror to the right of the door as you enter, below it put a table with a tall light (again the light will reflect in the mirror)
    These example illustrate the point - not the style
    Miami Modern · Más información

Midcentury Entry · Más información

Two solutions for your light
    Use an anchor pin to loop the wire and hang it in the correct place;
    Use it further down the hallway so the perspective is off
    Sea Cliff Estate · Más información

Or use triple drop pendants
  • Donna Carrier
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    It is a newly constructed home, and because of an arched area of drivet on the outside, the front door is positioned perfectly when looking from the outside.
  • Donna Carrier
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Any suggestions about a light fixture?
  • murice
    hace 11 años
    if i was in your shoes , since you are doing a major renovation , so for solution of my problem and beter design , i make a wall the left of the door and in fact i lose the first part of the door , and for that wall i make a cabin for shoes , i think the symmetrical for design it's not well , i prefer do it , by this fact , you have 2 walls that they are same beside your door
  • Cary S
    hace 11 años
    http://houzz.com/photos/1267367

I put "foyer table and foyer light fixture" in the houzz search field. Lots of great ideas came up, here's one I like that shows a off centered door...No worries, it will look great when it's balanced with furniture!
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    hace 11 años
    You are past the drywall hanging and just now this is an issue? What is the cost of moving the wall to the left as we see it so that you gain symmetry for the foyer? If it is a long wall can it have a jog to define the entry? Or create a second wall with a paneled jamb on the right with another cased opening parallel to the front door to totally define the foyer?
  • handymam
    hace 11 años
    If you could have the door reversed so that it swung the other way, it might not look so odd inside as you could put a table or something in that corner. If you did that now, it would end up behind the door.
  • pattihp
    hace 11 años
    If it's new construction, have your contractor step back the wall that is to the right when looking at the door, otherwise I would predict that this flaw will drive you crazy every time you look at it. The other solution is to build a double wall over the offending side to centre the door.
  • PRO
    I B J
    hace 11 años
    Simple fix, bring foyer wall out to look like 6 - 8 inches would the trick. CSI kitchen I agree.
  • smgolf12
    hace 11 años
    I like handymam's suggestion both for aesthetic and practicality. You will enter facing something decorative while still having the space to move around when you just get inside.
  • leelee
    hace 11 años
    I would have the door open on the opposite side so that you could place a large palm or other tree there. You could also do a tall but not very deep table in the space. What ever you decide to put there, you don't want it behind the door so make the door knob on the other side. Hey handyman, I just saw your comment....you must be really smart.
  • handymam
    hace 11 años
    leelee, great mind think alike! :)
  • nasmijati
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    1.) Build out the casing on the right side of the image so the door is centered,
    OR
    2.) Use handymam's suggestion to reverse the hinges on the front door. Put a shoe changing station/hall tree in the extra space on the right side of the photo image above.
  • suzanne_m
    hace 11 años
    I just would like to inform you that I changed my username from smgolf12 to suzanne_m.
  • Christine W
    hace 10 años
    You can try to fool the eye maybe hanging a dramatic drapery panel that you can swag back so it looks lik the side light continues. Or put a change order in and let them center it. or install a bigger door that is evenly balanced where you would only have to reframe the small wall part to get the large double door in.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 10 años
    Old post 1 year
  • havenspa_wellness
    hace 8 años

Oh wow! I went on google to do a search with a similar problem....what did you end up doing with your foyer?? Just curious because my front door has 9 extra inches on the left side of it looking at it both inside and out!!! Builder error that i didn't even see until after the light was hung when everything was complete. We have been in our house since November so almost 2 months and it drives me nut.s Christine

• PRO
    MetroNet Realty
    hace 4 años

I also am doing a major reno and will have this problem just gonna be too much trouble to move the front door I have a 90 year old brick colonial im adding a 2 story foyer by demolishing a bath above the foyer on the 2nd floor. I'm planning on bringing the chandelier in a little so u dont notice as much

• Gloria H.
    hace 4 años

A small built in bench or some type.

• PRO
    MetroNet Realty
    hace 4 años

should the chandelier be centered to the room or the door if centered to the door there is a window above the door so u will see the chandelier from outside when looking at the front of the house

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.