Houzz Logo Print
hkl1970

Do built-ins/closet build outs add value?

Nelly Bluth
hace 7 años
I live with a low-level hoarder and it's maddening. What makes it worse is that we live in a condo with little to no storage. I am contemplating investing in built-ins and/or major closet build-outs. Am I likely to recoup my investment if/when we sell in the next 5 years? Not having a system of organization or a place to put things just kills my desire to work on anything house-related. It's like why clean/paint? There will still be stacks of books or piles of paper everywhere.

Comentarios (8)

• acm
    hace 7 años

As long as your organizational systems don't intrude into or constrain the living space, I'd think they'd add value. Of course, they will also likely add more space for accumulation...

• Sheila
    hace 7 años

Storage all ways adds value. Plain builder to organized buyers always pay more. Shop at big box. DIY or a little help .

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 años

IMO you can never have enough good storage and especially in a condo

• apple_pie_order
    hace 7 años

If there's very little storage space by your own standards, then add budget or mid range big box closet storage systems or closed-door bookcases (Ikea's Billy bookcases have door options). High quality custom closets cost thousands of dollars for the average size closet - in my geographic area.

The greater impact on your condo value is likely to come from any neglect of maintenance caused by piles of stuff on the floor where the floor can't be swept, vacuumed, or washed regularly. Keep your investment solid by hiring a cleaning service every week or two weeks. Rows of bookcases, all identical from Ikea or a similar place, will help you both keep those piles off the floor before the cleaning service shows up every week. Ikea, Staples and Office Depot all have good strong plastic boxes designed for manila file folders.

If you live in a warm climate such as Houston's or New Orleans', termites may tunnel up from the ground into any paper piles left for a few months on the floor.

• einportlandor
    hace 7 años

You don't have to spend thousands on closet systems. Ikea has loads of options, for example. And check out The Container Store's Elfa systems. They have big sales on both product and installation a couple of times a years and I think the product is great for the price.

• PRO
    Debbie Mauro @ Closet Factory (Colorado)
    hace 7 años

The suggestion from a storage pro can be priceless. Actually adding the amount you pay for organization to the bottom line price you ask for your condo is questionable, however having a system that allows potential buyers to see how they may be able to fit all their own items in the house will increase the ability of your home to sell in a timely manner. And let's face it, this is really about you being able to live there now so do what you need to do feel better about the space and maybe you'll want to stay there longer so the resale value is much less important.

• sunnydrew
    hace 7 años
    If your room mate is "maddening", maybe invest that money in some low-level counseling for him/her. It is throwing good money after bad to build new storage for a hoarder in training.
    I think that would only be enabling them.
    Sorry, but time to come to grips with the real issue.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.