Houzz Logo Print
sophie1b

Kitchen renovation -cabinet on either side of the window or not?

sophie1b
hace 7 años
Good day Everyone,
I am renovating a kitchen from a bungalow built in 1968. My parents bought that bungalow brand new. Attached you find a picture of the kitchen in its glory days in 1985. My mother is on the back on that picture. According to my mother, in 1968 that kitchen was so beautiful and modern , everything she wished for and more. Back in 1968, the kitchen was built in place, made from pine board.
I bought the house from my parents and I am now renovating.
The second picture is the kitchen in octobre 2016 just before it was all destroyed.
The third picture is now, cabinets and floor removed.
I need help deciding on the cabinet layout. I am thinking not installing cabinet on the wall where the window is for a more open look. What do you think?
The floor will be hard wood, the counter top black or white I have not decided yet. The cabinet under the island will be wood as well. Cabinet is white in thermoplastic. And the tile probably glass tile but only on the wall where the range hood is.

Comentarios (18)

• dsnine
    hace 7 años

I agree, unless you really. Red upper storage and can't put it elsewhere I'd leave cabinets off the window wall to open it up. How fun to be remodeling the same home your parents were in!

• sophie1b
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks for your input. I agree that the cabinet over the peninsula would be more difficult to reach. But it can be reached by either side of the peninsula. The cabinet door is sliding up with a little front movement so the person would not have to move backward to open the door. I am thinking to store wine glass in that upper cabinet above the peninsula so that my guest could easily help them-self while I prepare the food.
  • sophie1b
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Small kitchens are a challenge :)
  • jhmarie
    hace 7 años

I would leave them off if you can, but I understand the storage concern. A set of shelves on each side would keep it open but allow a little storage - if you are up to dealing with some open shelving. If you do shelves, use the uppers for more decor - pitchers or large bowls you don't use often and just dust them off when needed. Keep frequently used items on the lower shelf where hopefully they get used enough not to get dusty.

You could also do cabinets with glass doors or plate rail cabinets for a more open feel.

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Consider using glass front cabinets there. It will look more open and provide storage. Use them for dishes and glassware. I would also do a back splash around the entire kitchen, not just the range wall. BTW - nice looking family :)

• PRO
    Scott Haig, CKD
    hace 7 años

Just some quick considerations for you sophie1b: Small kitchens can also be fun if planned well, which it seems you're doing. As was mentioned above, if you don't need the storage, leave out those wall cabinets for an open kitchen. On the other hand, it's nice to have wall storage near the sink and dishwasher for putting away glasses/dishes. Black countertops are beautiful but tend to highlight every grain of salt and crumb left behind. Also, thermofoil cabinets are easy to clean, but can have issues with heat. Have you checked into painted white or laminate-faced cabinets versus thermofoil? Enjoy the process and I bet it turns out beautifully!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 7 años

Deviled eggs, I can go for a few right now :-)

With that said, depends on the corner in question, but if you talking about the 3d picture from the top... how much room you have there? it looks like a corner cabinet can fit there.

• sophie1b
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    GN builder, yes the 3rd picture is the design of the new kitchen. A corner cabinet can fit. Here is a picture of the corner.
  • sophie1b
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I am thinking extending the counter top up to the fridge and have one module of the cabinet going down to the countertop. This way the corner is more accessible.
  • sophie1b
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    View from the top
  • PRO
    Country Cabinets
    hace 7 años

Maple Kitchen · Más información
    Sophie1B - An option for the corner is to do a 45 degree cabinet. This gives you lots of space and you don't lose anything to the blind corner. Also we would recommend you paint your cabinet over thermal foil. Thermal Foil can't handle the heart, and you can't repair it. You also can't paint thermal foil if you ever wanted to do a repair to change the color out.

• jbtanyderi
    hace 7 años
    Parlay is margarine. Parquet is flooring.
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 7 años
    A glass canopy over the front porch would be a great attention.
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 7 años
    Centre the console on a 5'x8' rug.
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 7 años
    There is no place to set down a book/drink/snack: every seat needs such a table/small chest. There are no lamps (meaning the ceiling will always feel gloomy). The furniture needs to be anchored on a rug.
  • jbtanyderi
    hace 7 años
    p.s. Art is needed.
  • shiningautumn888
    hace 7 años
    I would do cabinets on sink/window wall, and no cabinets on range wall. That way it opens your peninsula up more for people to sit there and not have their face in the side of a cabinet. You can put open shelving on Orange wall if you want, for wine glasses or whatever.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.