Houzz Logo Print
kathykroening

mantle ideas???

Kat
hace 7 años
looking for advice to fill the height of this mantle space. thanks!

Comentarios (13)

• User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

What about something like this? Salvaged old cupboard door with a mirror attached. You could stain it to match the beams or the cabinet next to the fireplace.

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/fireplace/mantels/creative-mantel-ideas/#page=19

• Kat
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    i too feel it is out of proportion. i wondered why it wasnt stone all the way up as there is no tv hookup or electricity there. thank you for your suggestion.
  • User
    hace 7 años

I wonder if there was a mirror above the fireplace or another custom panel, that's why it's not all stone. I would whitewash the wooden insert so it would blend better with the stone and look for metal wall art along these lines but hang it vertically.

• User
    hace 7 años

IMHO I would also take down the wheel over the doorway if you will have a large art piece over the fireplace.

• abbyjean
    hace 7 años

There are a lot of tall skinny things in this space....lots of rectangles and straight lines and not much to break it up to let the eye look at something else and a different shape. Even in the doorway, there is another tall straight skinny item.

Is it possible to move the hutch away from beside the fireplace? Love the chair right there as so cozy, and maybe a tall plant or a floor lamp could go beside/behind it instead.

The art work currently on the mantel is beautiful, but maybe too many details right there as the stone already has a lot of pattern. You need something simpler and going the opposite direction the art is.

Choose an accent color.....like a blue and put blue candles on the beautiful candlesticks on the mantel. Maybe make those a feature up there instead of a piece of art. It will be tough to find something the same size as the wooden part, so focus on the part closer to the living area. Put a blue throw and pillow on the chair.

• abbyjean
    hace 7 años

Looked at your room again and see lots of candlesticks......try placing all of them in a grouping on the mantel with the current candles on them, even and let us see what that looks like. Could be a fun look!

• Wendy
    hace 7 años
    You could arrange 3 wrought iron wall panels vertically maybe? Would look good against the wood.
  • anthip
    hace 7 años

I think a textile would look good hanging there. The room has a lot of hard surfaces so I think something to soften it might work. I also think that wall has a lot of stuff along it. Less is often more. I'd take down the wheel, mantle art, and K letter. Is there anywhere else for the glass front cabinet? It really takes away from the sliding barn door and ceiling decor.

• Kat
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Kathy, thank you for the great idea on a quick alternative to restoning it! It definitely would create visual interest-right now it just seems wasted area because of the wood inset.
  • Kat
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Everyone, awesome ideas! I am going to try several and take some pics then repost for help. The only thing I can't do before the holidays is new stonework. Thank you for your help!
  • Kat
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Compelling, The ceilings are 16 ft., so I agreed with my husband that the wheel could stay, otherwise that doorway looks very tiny. I would like to take the picture down and use it in our bedroom, which is basically untouched. It has beautiful SW grey harbor paint. The house is new. The builder put that inset in and I am not quite sure why. :)
  • pitbulls
    hace 7 años

Place the large wheel over the door way above the mantel after taking the painting down

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.