Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: What color is your front door?

Emily H
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

N Maney Avenue · Más información

What color is your front door right now?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Red
Yellow
Blue
Brown / Wood
White
Black
Green
Orange
Clear Glass
Purple
Other - Tell us below!

Comentarios (274)

• kkturner54
    hace 7 años
    Butter yellow front door on a red brick ranch, Charleston black shutters.
  • joanculbertson33
    hace 7 años
    Pewter cabinet pulls
  • Dianne Reid
    hace 7 años
    We painted our garage doors & Front Entrance Doors in an Autumn Red Benjamin Moore and added Awnings with the same colour trim. This helped to compliment the bits of rusty red in our brickwork.
  • PRO
    Archidesk
    hace 7 años

Basic doors painted with round window. Looks nice in our design.

• marnerichard
    hace 7 años

try hammered paint available in black, bronze and grey -------- gorgeous!!!!!

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

Some DO's and Don'ts for garage door color from color expert Kate Smith:

• DO paint the garage doors in the same color as the house itself and not the trim color or white (unless white is your house color) if you want to keep them from standing out. Painting the garage doors the same colors as the body of the house may also make your home appear larger.
    • DO paint the trim around the doors either to match the door or to match the trim on the rest of your home. Usually it looks best if it is the same as on the rest of your home but there are times when it may look better to not call attention to the trim with a contrasting color.
    • DON’T paint the garage doors in the same accent color as the front door or shutters. This usually draws too much attention to the garage doors and chops up the facade of the home.
    • DON’T highlight the details of a standard garage door by painting the door in more than one color. There are historic or special doors where this may be appropriate but for the majority of garage doors this would not be the way to go.
  • landofhappy
    hace 7 años

Red door, green shutters. Ready for a change but don't know what to change it to.

• mhteb
    hace 7 años

I really like the bold individualism shown by all these various colors. Mine is terracotta and has been for years. I just haven't seen anything I like better for my particular house.

• christy3989
    hace 7 años
    The same color as my chair cushions!
  • christy3989
    hace 7 años
    The same color as my chair cushions!
  • PRO
    DB Home Improvements and Handyman Services
    hace 7 años

I have done lots of wood stained doors, and exterior trim color doors, but this home I built in East Nashville has a front door color that really "pops" ,and brings out a warm and inviting entrance to a delightful refurbished older home.

• spenserh
    hace 7 años

Benjamin Moore Tropical Teal

• ilovebooks
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Lex Parker I couldn't agree more! There is a breezeway between house and garage with blue door also. Trim around front only is a shade different from house

• carolynsmimi
    hace 7 años

A 1960's brick w/predictable beige trim on windows and door. I changed to black shutters, black eaves and facia w/new black gutters. Door went from beige to a rich Carmel. Totally transformed the house. Those who gasped 'Black'? When I announced my plans, now love it.

• ba_pocock
    hace 7 años

The porch is brick and I chose a plummy red for the front door, which I thought would look warm and welcoming - however, when the grey undercoat went on the general consensus was that the top coat should be grey too as it looked really good with the mellow old bricks. In the end (after a bit of persuading, as I thought it might make the cottage look like a parsonage!) I agreed. I know it sounds dull but in fact it was the perfect choice - I love it!

• katie32123
    hace 7 años

As of today, yellow. The painters are still working so no photo. Sherwin Williams Decisive Yellow. I'm loving it!

• LA Saunders
    hace 7 años
    Sunset Rose- Sherwin Williams
  • J B
    hace 7 años
    We have a rusty-orange coloured front double door
  • Ellen Robison
    hace 7 años

The home I am purchasing has a wood front door with a very lovely little stained glass window in it. I love it! I am going to see about maybe sealing the wood. It does have a storm door on it too. I don't have a picture of it yet.

• kodett
    hace 7 años
    slate gray
  • mike barclay
    hace 7 años
    we love red!
  • kodett
    hace 7 años
    I went with grey for the shutters and front door.
  • chloebud
    hace 7 años

@Lex Parker...yes!

• curlieq
    hace 7 años
    Ben Moore Yin Yang
  • Kristin Marvin
    hace 7 años

I received several likes on my front door color shown in an above comment (thank you!) and it was driving me crazy that I didn't have a full "after" photo so I snapped one this morning. Here is the gorgeous black hardware on my Grasshopper green door by SW. The red brick is on my dislike list but we may be moving so I don't think that will ever be taken care of. And yes, we opted to bring in the lights and ended up with a box. In daily life you don't even notice it. The previous lights were GINORMOUS (and rusted) and set waaaay out. This way you see the lights upon approach (and boxes are hidden by posts) and once you are in the space you are looking at the door. The only way to not have the boxes was to leave the lights in their original position or knock out the inside walls to reroute! That was NOT going to happen!

• Kendell Gardner
    hace 7 años

This is an old fixer upper - a beach bungalow. The house is soft cloud blue. The front door is Grand Hotel Geranium Pink.

• emilbourn
    hace 7 años

Moroccan Spice by Benjamin Moore

• katie32123
    hace 7 años

The painters finished on Friday. We opted for all white with a yellow door. (formerly blue with rusty red shutters and door) The house looks awfully plain without shutters, but because of the pond and streetlight out front we live in bat heaven, and bats use the shutters as bat houses and I'm not going through that mess again. New windows are on the list and should help the look. In summer the house is almost completely hidden by greenery anyway. :-)

Before

Before before

The summertime view

I'm loving seeing all the other doors. Makes me wonder about painting the door a new color every year! ;-)

• Laura Johnson
    hace 7 años

• jopiotte
    hace 7 años

We painted the formerly white door and shutters a rich burgundy. Finally got the new garage doors to match last year! I think it warms up the gray siding.

• PRO
    HARPER LUMBER & BUILDING SUPPLY LLC
    hace 7 años

Currently have orange doors and am known for my "pops of color". We have built spec houses for resale with red, salmon, deep sea/blue, gold, and cherry doors. Think the more unusual the color the better it stands out:)

• annemccleave
    hace 7 años
    A soft, butter yellow.
  • PRO
    TAB ASSOCIATES INC
    hace 7 años

Front door with little cruciform double glazed lites surrounded by copper clad windows. When the sun shines thru the little crosses, it makes for a spectacular sight inside the Entry.

• Deirdre Reid
    hace 7 años

Teal

• mirador
    hace 7 años

A couple of years ago we had a very high quality front door installed, with two vertical windows running side by side down the top half with blinds between the glass. It is celery green outside and putty gray inside. The exterior of the house is reclaimed brick, and the pale green does look good, but sometimes I miss the red-orange color of the not-so-fancy door it replaced.

• Bill Worden
    hace 7 años
    Chartruese!
  • Marybeth Chillemi-Franklin
    hace 7 años

I have a 1940 red brick Craftsman home and yellow was the perfect, although unexpected choice.

• pattlparker
    hace 7 años
    I have a major bias about homes that display fun, unique and stylish door colors. To me, it says, "there is an imaginative, interesting person that lives here!" I love all the enthusiastic descriptions of your doors!
  • Chris Sedlmayr
    hace 7 años
    Well, I called it salmon, but Behr calls it Marquee "Strawberry Wine", MQ4-2.
  • Bruce Crawford
    hace 7 años

I guess if PattiParker saw my doors posted above she'd assume an unimaginative, uninteresting person lives there. Apparently skiing off The Cornice at Mammoth & racing sports cars, as I did when younger, is pretty boring stuff.

• patti parker
    hace 7 años

Don't overthink it Bruce Crawford. My point is that I am drawn to the visual appeal of doors painted in colors that are noticeably outside the norm. In no way does that mean that if your home has a predictably mundane-colored door, it would cause me to assume that you were an unimaginative or uninteresting person. That being said, and because of my personal passion for color, I hope that you can find inspiration from the topic of this discussion and considered re-painting your door, just for fun! And If you want to post a photo of your home, I'll even give you my somewhat expert opinion on a color choice!

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 7 años

PattiParker, I don't believe I was overthinking it. The way you made your statement leads the reader to infer that one who does not have "fun, unique or stylish door colors" is not imaginative or interesting. Here are a couple pics. I chose not to make a statement with a $40 gallon of paint, but with art glass. The exterior lighting will go when I've completed my in-progress bathroom reno, which has followed in quick succession a major K reno, a laundry reno and another bath reno. The doors are a very high quality mahogany, as you can see from the interior pic. The exterior pic was taken in late afternoon on a very bright day. The house faces north, so it was very high contrast. I've tweaked it in PS to make the windows and doors more noticeable. They were done more as a part of the reno's than to enhance curb appeal, but you should see them from the street at night.

• Sandra DePue
    hace 7 años

my steel entry door is sprayed bronze and then hand glazed with and aqua to look like Verdigris. It looks so real someone offered to polish it back to a shine LOL

• sofikbr
    hace 7 años

love my bright blue door.

• patti parker
    hace 7 años

Glad to see your pics Bruce. Again, my personal opinion is that the bright blue painted doors pictured in the post right after yours is much more desirable with regard to my passion and appreciation for color. It's night and day to me. It turns my head and makes me smile, or it doesn't. To each his own. Simple as that. Good luck with your remodeling., which is always tough and time-consuming, yet very worthwhile in the end.

• mirador
    hace 7 años

Bruce Crawford, I think your front doors are lovely, inside and out. There's a fair amount to look at on your home, with the brick, the tile, the ornate window molding, and the glass. While I'm all for anything goes on a front door, I think a brightly colored door could very possibly be overstimulating visually. There's already plenty going on to catch the eye. And patti parker, lively front doors can be "fun," you're right. But sometimes "fun" is not what the homeowner is going for. As far as a front door saying that an imaginitive, interesting, creative person lives there, sure it can. But it can also just mean that a dull blade who likes bright colors lives there. I don't believe that the chosen color of a front door says anything more about the residents than that they liked that color and thought it looked nice on their house.

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 7 años

Mirador, thanks for your comments. My wife isn't into "fun" on the exterior. She never even really liked the blue I've shown below. PattiParker, I'd considered adding a 4th pic yesterday, but held off. As you will see, I'm not opposed to painted doors. These are my old ones. They aren't as blue as SofiKBR's, which are beautiful, but her porch is a lot wider, which helps them stand out. Unfortunately my porch is very narrow, making the doors appear to be in a hole, especially w/ their northward orientation which means they're always in a shadow. Before I painted them blue, I'd painted them a tan. I can't remember what color they were when I bought the house in '76. The yellow Flemish-ish glass really limited my choices. Before my new K (L) & LR (R) windows went in, the original aluminum ones had surrounds of 1x10's top & bottom, 1x8's vertically, painted same blue as door. As I noted elsewhere, when I was in college, our fraternity, SPE, had a bright, bright red front door. Legend was it'd turn white when a virgin passed through. Our sister sorority always made its pledges paint it white in the early Sat. AM's before a party. Now that was a fun door! :-)

• Kathi Steele
    hace 7 años

Bruce, we are wise enough to know you cannot judge a person based on an item, like the exterior color of a door.

If you are happy with your doors, that is enough, because it does not really matter what others think. We are old enough to not really care what others think.

I think your front doors look beautiful inside and out. If you and your wife are happy with them, that is enough.

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 7 años

Kathi Steele, thanks. My wife is very happy in that she picked color of our K cabs & she picked interior of doors & windows to match, & she picked exterior color of doors & window surrounds, too. She had privacy concerns about art glass, but once those were allayed, she & glass artisan designed them, also. Had someone offered to pay for doors, I might've considered their choice for colors.:-) It always amuses me how people can make sweeping generalizations based upon their own tastes.

• Sherrie Waite
    hace 7 años

It only took me 2 years to decide on the door color of the 1940's cottage we purchased in summer of 2014. It came with a "pickled drift wood look" front door which I transformed to the color of blue that matches our stray peacock named Pretty Boy, which came with the keys to the cottage. I called this door color "Pretty Boy Blue". Sherwin Williams- Honorable Blue SW6811.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.