Houzz Logo Print
saessmyer

Do I Really Need to Replace Pool Coping??

sally essmyer
hace 7 años

In the process of having a 30 year old pool demoed to remove plaster and replaced with another surface. There is about 40 feet of damage to the beam which is being repaired as well. Got the news today that a large amount of the coping needs to be replaced even though no visible signs of cracks or damage. Contractor went around coping and tapped on it with a hammer and some spots sound firm and others sound hollow - is this a sign I need coping replaced? I live in the desert and when the pool deck was laid there does not appear to have been an appropriate expansion joint laid and the contractor indicates that with heat expansion the pool deck has pushed against the beam and the coping causing damage. Is there any solution other than removing the coping and repairing what is underneath it (I guess it is mortar or something?)? The coping style is mid century and no longer available and the contractor could not guarantee that they could remove, repair underneath and replace the existing coping without breakage. I am wondering if it is an option to instead remove the pool deck and come in from behind the coping to do the repair then replace the pool deck which I don't care for? Either way $$$$.

Comentarios (2)

• 5birdy
    hace 7 años

If you really feel uncomfortable perhaps you could bring in another contractor experienced with remodeling pools for a second opinion. There are so many types of material available for coping that I'm sure you could find one to fit your style. 30 year old pool sounds like it needs some love!

• PRO
    www.SwimmingPoolSteve.com
    hace 7 años

Sounds like your contractor is describing a delaminating coping section. While this does need to be fixed, and that does require replacement usually, my problem is that this should have been picked up during the estimate. Checking for delmainations of the tile and coping are basically the only things you can check for an estimate since everything else is still underwater. The coping, tile, expansion joint and interior pool surface are all connected and if any one of them is deficient it can damage the rest of them. Sounds like your contractor is giving you some decent advice, just would have been nice for you to be aware that this might be an issue back at the beginning of the project.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.