Houzz Logo Print
mike_maxwell74

Has anyone had experience with buying modular homes?

Mike Maxwell
hace 7 años

We are thinking about buying land and putting a modular home on it. My husband has no experience in buying homes or in construction and I'm from the city where most people live in condos or apartments, so I don't have any experience either. Looking for some advice on the experience of buying a modular home.

Comentarios (11)

• everdebz
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Just posting to see what others will say... Good 'luck' on finding a home. Have you looked at websites - my browsing showed some customer comments.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

• everdebz
    hace 7 años
  • shirlpp
    hace 7 años

Putting a modular home on a lot versus stick built. The modular of course, is built in a factory and can be brought to your lot site much quicker than a stick built home. It would probably be best for you to visit a few modular factories to get an idea on what is going on. In today's world, they can build whatever you want.

A lot of modular builders have plans that you can choose from, however, if you do not see anything that you like, you can ask them to build a plan that you like or modify one that they have.........this being said, the process does not differ much from a stick built home.

• everdebz
    hace 7 años

Don't some pre-fab companies use concrete walls? maybe some methods are less expensive done controlled / indoors.

• chiflipper
    hace 7 años

If any manufacturer offers spray foam insulation I would opt for that upgrade.

• PRO
    Haven Architecture
    hace 7 años
    What area of the country are you looking to build in? Many differences in modular construction occur based on your locale (west coast vs. east coast). In addition to that, modular builders can vary in their quality, methods, ideals and creativity just like traditional builders. Yes, in theory modular is a very viable method to build a high quality home. However, it does depend on your builders.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 7 años

The idea of "trailer park modular homes" is long gone (or it should be). The modular homes that are available can look like your standard 1200sf Rancher or Bungalo. No more "single wide" or "double wides".

What type of modular does your husband have in mind? Is he thinking "trailer park" modular or the newer version of "prebuilt homes".

• PRO
    Linda
    hace 7 años

I'm familiar with Wardcraft homes. They've been in business for decades -I remember a classmate's parents buying one 40 years ago and they still live there.

https://www.wardcraft.com/default.shtm

Find some manufacturers in your area and go visit their facilities.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 7 años

OP is MIA....I guess we can let this thread go...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.