Houzz Logo Print
webuser_29320

need some iIdeas on making my basement enterance to my house less basement like.

Mary Lee Marshall
hace 11 años
People enter thru the basement to my house. need some ideas to make it less scary and brighter.

Comentarios (18)

• emma_harrys
    hace 11 años
    Get it painted a nice bright colour and de clutter
  • Judy M
    hace 11 años
    Get closed storage units with doors, instead of open shelves. If you could finish the walls with more paneling to cover the exposed studs that would help as well. Bright lighting and a long runner, will make it feel more like an entry.
  • Mary Lee Marshall
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Judy cost is a factor . Emma I like the idea of painting a bright color.
  • libradesigneye
    hace 11 años
    With the wood doors left out, try a crisp paint on everything else in this tone - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6478-watery/ Paint the back of the board, paint the wood studs, paint the wood shelves, mask the ski hooks, but otherwise paint everything except the floor, doors and ceiling stuff. Don't paint the metal shelves, or your chairs. Take those outside and spray paint the metal shelves with orb spray paint. Add a nice looking trash can back in.

When you put things back, use the nicer painted shelves closer to the front door, and move the tall metal shelves down at this storage / locker room end. If there are cardboard boxes you need to keep stuff in, cover them with coordinating wipeable contact paper, or throw them away.

Organize your hanging stuff by type. Throw 1/4 of the little shelf stuff out or give it away.
  • Judy M
    hace 11 años
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20219597/

You can store item in these and then replace on shelves. It would look much neater and is not expensive. Paint the shelves in a similar color.
  • Mary Lee Marshall
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    libradesigneye. How did you know I love Blue? and Judy Ikea might be the way to go.
  • Mary Lee Marshall
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Husband needs a place for his "ski stuff" as he puts it.
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 11 años
    Here's a nice neat cubby for skis:
    Mudroom Redesign · Más información
  • Mary Lee Marshall
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Budget is 800.00 bottom line.
  • Judy M
    hace 11 años
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/hooks/sports?productId=10031746
    If things are off the floor th space will be easier to keep organized. The above ski rack is $15.00.
    This project will most likely be wall be more about doing the work of weeding out and finding reasonably priced storage solutions that it will be about the cost.

Dry wall needs taping and unless that's a DIY project you can handle yourself it will add more $$. Beadboard panels in 4 X 8 can be glued to the studs and painted or left natural color. Then you have more $$ for the floor. The vinyl planks are a great idea, even peel and stick tiles might work.
  • Allison Burnfield McAteer
    hace 11 años
    If your (or your husband) handy check out ana-white.com free woodworking plans and build some locker type storage.
    You could create something customized shelves along wall for a few hundred dollars and a weekend.
  • Mary Lee Marshall
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks for all the great ideas.
  • sheilaskb
    hace 9 años
    I would have a carpenter replace the shelves with rather shallow closets that have shelves and sliding wooden doors to conceal all the items. Above all, I would recommend painting the closet doors, entry doors, and the paneling and wall areas white because nothing brightens and freshens like white paint. You might find a space for a console table with a mirror or nice framed print to hang above it. A lamp and a live plant on the console table also will bring light and life to the space and make it feel warm and welcoming.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

Hi:...

$800.00 is not a hole lot of cash to transform the space. I think you are on the right track of paint. If you could find some organizing "cubes" maybe look in garage sales. If you organized some of the hanging stuff (de-clutter) or found new places for it, it would feel more open.

I would try new light bulbs or adding a few led light fixtures. You can get LED Bulbs for around 5.00 that are the "A" bulb and will work in regular fixtures. try to find a Bulb that has a "color temperature of 3000k" and is about 14 Watts. This will give you a nice color of light and will brighten up the space.

If you could swing a bit more than $800, I would use insulation and some Drywall over just the walls. We are doing some "open rafters" painted ceilings with Drywall on the walls. It does look nice and is cheaper than dry walling the ceiling.

Good Luck!

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años

DEAD THREAD - OP last replied April 2013

• rocketjcat
    hace 8 años
    Old post from 2013.
  • PRO
    Wahoo Walls
    hace 8 años
    Attach track to joists and use sliding louvered door panels painted bright white to hide clutter.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.