Houzz Logo Print
wendy_kelly

Need help- ugly exterior!!

Wendy Kelly
hace 7 años

Would love advice on house exterior. Not ready to do a full makeover but willing to have some updates done to improve the curb appeal. I realize the front windows are too small, but can't replace now, any ideas on how to make them work? Love the idea of a modern beach house or modern cottage. Any ideas appreciated!!

Comentarios (9)

• Marco
    hace 7 años

Actually, the composition of that end with the two windows really is not bad at all.

The contrast between blackish brown and white window frames is very harsh, and may be contributing to your dissatisfaction.

Paint is a lot cheaper than remodeling. Consider a lower-contrast combination, one that harmonizes with the brick.

If you think of the brick as a sandy, maybe you can get a beachy feel with a delicate blue and seafoam green, with the underside of the eaves painted ivory. Perhaps driftwood colors of pale tan and silvery gray appeal to you more. Or flamingo and orchid if you are thinking tropical beach. You get the idea. Just lower the contrast between wall color and trim color.

One way to think of contrast is asking how different the two colors would look if photographed in black and white. It is really easy to do this now with digital cameras. Photograph several possible paint chips together, and when you upload the picture, move the adjust button back and forth between color and black/white. If you can't distinguish between them in b+w, they are of similar value, and if you can, they are of differing values, higher contract, without regard to actual hue. It is a fun and informative exercise... and cheap, before you commit to buckets and hours.

Good luck with it. Classic roofline for that period, btw :-)

Wendy Kelly agradeció a Marco
  • rgrindrod
    hace 7 años

Super cute. lots of potential. (1) definitely paint the dark color to be a lighter color, matching the bricks. Paint the trim and the garage doors the same color, . Or better yet (if its in the budget yet), do some pretty, stained wooden doors on the garage. Then, I would add a porch pergola highlighting the entrance a step or two above the garage/ground level where there is currently gravel. Concept shown below:

Lake Country Builders · Más información

Beach Frame · Más información

Woodmeister Master Builders - Exterior 1 · Más información

Wendy Kelly agradeció a rgrindrod
  • AG
    hace 7 años

I'd like to suggest some landscaping ideas. What climate zone are you in? If you 're not sure, check the USDA Climate zone here (just enter your zip to find your zone) thanks. http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/phzmweb/interactivemap.aspx

• Wendy Kelly
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Climate zone 4b- thanks in advance!!

• N LC
    hace 7 años
    I think ringrod gave great advice regarding painting the house and adding the pergola. Before reading his i was going to say that the yard was were I would focus my efforts to improve curb appeal. In particular close to the wall (climbing plants/ big potted plants etc..)
    Wendy Kelly agradeció a N LC
  • PRO
    Millennium Landscape & Construction Inc.
    hace 7 años

I think the house is very cute, and I actually like the contrast of the dark and light. My inclination is the highlight the white trim of the windows and the stone columns with variegated leaves to lighten up the whole space. The entry is shady and dark in this photo, so my mind says brighten it up! Add a drift of variegated pittosporum or redtwig dogwood along the front of the house (could you create a raised bed along the front to level that out a bit?). A huge splash of burgundy would contrast well - a burgundy leaved maple would be great- to frame the entry and add color color color. Great fall color as well. Using a smallish tree will also create a space to put your Adirondacks under and make them more cozy, as opposed to a line around the house. Can't do a full patio right now? Create the bones of one by clearing a gravel patio area along the front of the raised bed, arrange your chairs on that, and viola! You have the beginnings of a great landscape.

Wendy Kelly agradeció a Millennium Landscape & Construction Inc.
  • cathyleeper
    hace 7 años
    Your house is lovely! I agree with reprinting the top a softer colour however if this is more money than you were planning to spend right now a few pots of flowers and a few hanging baskets will really brighten the place up. A sweep of the yard and it will be looking colourful, smart and homely.
    Wendy Kelly agradeció a cathyleeper
  • cathyleeper
    hace 7 años
    If you don't have green fingers pictures 3 and 4 are actually artificial plants and they look just as bright and cheerful
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.