Houzz Logo Print
myatyson

What is my sitting room missing?

myatyson
hace 7 años
What else does my sitting room need? There's something missing but I haven't worked out what...opinions would be lovely ☺️

Comentarios (35)

• myatyson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Ps...ignore the lampshade...that is being replaced with a different colour!
  • PRO
    Studio Pip
    hace 7 años

love your colour palette myatyson! Perhaps a coffee table is the key? - Caroline

• girlguides
    hace 7 años
    Height in that corner. Why is green chair soo low ?
  • PRO
    The Bowery
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hi myatyson,

You can put flowers with vases, murals, 3D prints or Decorative Candles here.

By using these products you can make your room more beautiful and attractive.

If you want to know about home decorative items for your room. So check out The Bowery Store here :-

Online Homewares & Home Decorative Accessories at The Bowery

Have a great day!!

Cheers!!

The Bowery - Home Decor

• KK1000
    hace 7 años
    Maybe swap the chairs, get a coffee table, the lamp could be much more substantial version of ark lamp to make some impact. If you can use rug elsewhere get much bigger one otherwise that one must do.
  • Bonny H
    hace 7 años

I think you could spray or paint that cane chair a warm white, like Annie Sloan 'Old white' (not stark white). The cane seems to stand out a bit oddly. Then you need to introduce another colour with the olive green, maybe more silver or soft denim blue in a cushion or two. But I think the trick will be to do it with texture somehow. The room seems to need texture and height. I may be way off base but I think a feature wall (don't shoot me) in a lighter shade of olive green or grey behind your artwork wouldn't go amiss. Not too crazy, just subtle. You could even colour the cane chair in a similar shade to the feature wall opposite, to balance the room.

• myatyson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks all! Green chair is vintage executive chair that I saved from a skip bin before the channel 7 studios in Perth got pulled down last year...I love it, so trying to work it in. I like to think of it as a mad man type piece with lots of stories behind it! He he...plus the olive green is my favourite colour! I have other pieces of natural timber and cane through the house so I guess the cane chair probably makes more sense when looking at the bigger picture...thanks all for tips...will see what I can come up with!!
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 7 años
    I would move your green chair and lamp under your photo's, put in a large fiddle leaf fig in corner in a gorgeous pot, maybe a coffee table, not sure about cane chair, maybe a colour change as suggested or find another place for it , love the story of your green chair.
  • girlguides
    hace 7 años
    I too love colour green of chair and it goes great with decor and great story. Thx for sharing
  • lisacab
    hace 7 años
    I would love to see a big green plant with a bit of height. If you don't use the cane chair for sitting on consider moving it - love your skip bin find!
  • mutcherson
    hace 7 años

Looks great so far. Because your tv and cabinet are in contrast colour to rest ofv the room they grab your eye and detract from rest of room. If olive chairv is your fav then work with it more.remove the blanket and cushion. put blankewt on end of lounge return. Try a different colour cushion on olive chair and move that cushion to the cane chair. Move chair to under canvas and move light with it. Try light on both sides. play with perspective. Because tv steals the show you need something to steal it back. there is reason you never see the tv in styled photos and homes... can you add larger frames to the family portrait area or put another large piece there? Definitely change size of pot plant. Can you hang it from the ceiling macrame style in the corner? That gives height to the room without changing floor space. Try the cane chair in the corner or next to olive chair. You can definitely work with what you've got. Good luck

• Bernadette Staal
    hace 7 años

As it is a very small and compact space with a door coming through it. I would remove the word art and replace it with a huge mirror this will add depth to the room and reflect light around. I think it is a lovely room. Just missing people relaxing. If you think it will fit I would put a table or hall stand type piece of furniture under the mirror or word art piece so that can provide room for knick knacks. You need somewhere or something for people to put drinks on if you are having coffee or similar.

• myatyson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks so much all...here is a pic taken from further back,..have a plant further down that wall and am in the process of growing the portrait wall...would you move this plant somewhere else? (Just need to keep it in a semi light position though that's why I had it there...)
  • myatyson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    And from other angle
  • juliahocking
    hace 7 años

hi

Lovely looking room - it's got all the ingredients for a relaxed, friendly meeting place!

Have you considered moving the whole arrangement 180 degrees? Maybe what is needed is to pull some of the furniture away from the walls.

Place the sectional in the corner to 'cosy' it in- that way the ottoman section would be on the doorway wall. Place the TV on the opposite wall and both the occasional chairs in the centre of the room with their backs to the dining area. Then the large pot plant could sit closer to the chairs without losing light but it would belong to a cluster - remember, groups of three. Perhaps the rug is better in the angle of the sectional lounge - put the front feet of the lounge on the edge of the rug to anchor it.

As your family gallery grows, group new pieces towards the sectional lounge, as an anchor. This will stop the photos from 'floating'.

Enjoy.

• Ann B
    hace 7 años
    Hi. I agree another large plant would help (near green mad man chair) also large round coffee table and a side table or two. Another lamp by sectional. I understand your using wicker/cane in areas of house, but I think that chair doesn't go well in this particular room. Too bland. A colourful armchair with an ottoman, perhaps. I'm thinking the sectional is placed where it is due to that half wall behind it, and the TV would protrude too far upwards if it were placed in front of half wall.
  • robandlyn
    hace 7 años

I was wondering if the problem might be that there are too many smallish individual things along that long wall, all evenly spaced - one plant, one heater, two smallish chairs and a smallish TV unit! I think it needs at least one larger piece to ground it all or group some of the things together and make it so it doesn't look so like a line of individual things. A larger longer TV unit or a hutch dresser or something with some height as well as width where the plant is.

• PRO
    Emily Prodinger
    hace 7 años

I would definitely consider putting a round coffee table in- this will help to frame the space as well as act as a useful piece of furniture. I would also consider moving the second chair on the wall next to the lamp and replacing this with a side table!

• PRO
    Ella Kate Thrupp
    hace 7 años

I'd actually get a larger rug, one that takes up more of the space. It's a really good way of tying all of the bits and pieces you have together to look more cohesive.

• PRO
    Kat Monares
    hace 7 años

Have a textured feature wall and put up a painting to complement the colour you have chosen. The colour of your lounge is so nice neutral, you can definitely use more colour everywhere!

• salajam
    hace 7 años

Try moving the green chair to face the corner of the rug where the cane chair is ... in winter, you can spin it around to face the heater to read a good book. Move the one chair into the corner with a larger, stronger coloured cushion, maybe patterned olive green, rust and brown. think autumn forests, to bring in more colour. Sorry, not a fan of massed neutrals. The cane chair in the corner will lighten that space, the green chair facing the corner of the rug will help define the space. I'd suggest a rectangular coffee table in that space.

This seems to be quite a larger room. What do you do with the extra space? What is the view like outside the doors? Moving the sofa 90º and out to the other side of the heater (facing inwards) would give more definition.

• KK1000
    hace 7 años
    I like what you have done and without spending to much, next think I feel you could add the photos from your corridor to your gallery wall and put ward art in the corridor, and replace it with large mirror .
  • Miranda S
    hace 7 años

Looks much better already!

I love your green armchair. I don't love the white throw on it though. It has so much personality, don't smother it! I'd swap the throw and the girly pillow for *maybe* one of the grey + white chevron cushions on the other lounge. Or maybe see how it looks without any cushion. It's a great piece!

• Ann B
    hace 7 años
    Oh wow, Myatyson! I sure does look welcoming and comfortable now. Good job!!
  • cloudpants
    hace 7 años
    Love your changes. Aren't Houzzers just fantastic? Agree about taking throw & cushion off you Madmen chair. Some great candles/mags/tray/potplant on your coffee table = another low cost decor idea.
  • lostinreno
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Yes it looks better, however I think your TV stand is a little small for your space, you could do with one that goes all the length of your couch ( try ikea besta for a cheap and modern option) Also it would be great to incorporate the TV and your photo gallery and lovely art like in the attached

photo. It will give a real focus to your room instead of having lots of little pieces here and there.

• PRO
    Morel Construction Ltd
    hace 7 años

The coffee table looks great and putting the plant in the corner instead of the chair has just transformed the room!

• Megan
    hace 7 años
    Room looks lovely, you have beautiful pieces. I think you have all the key ideas, but maybe need to look at the proportions. Higher chair in corner and more substantial/impactful floor lamp. A larger rug, which could be anchored by a nice open coffee table. Some softer textiles on couch and chair. Remove the cane chair and purchase a lower and more elongated (lighter) tv bench/unit. colour of the tv and cabinet cothe eye to the Tv, and contrast with the colours used elsewhere
  • Megan
    hace 7 años
    And wow! Just saw your updated photo! Looks wonderful!
  • Fiona Anastasia Whitefoot
    hace 7 años
    The room is missing colour. Have you thought of either introducing a feature wall, or introducing some colourful artwork on your walls? Maybe change the colour of the rug too.
  • philippawright
    hace 7 años

You have made some good improvements thus far.

I agree - you need to add some colour. Firstly a rusty orange or mustard cushion onto your green chair. Definitely not white. Choose a throw the same colour for the couch. I would look at patterned cushions for the couch - There are some cool bringing in all the new colours. I am wondering how a muted cobalt blue would look as an accent with the rust and olive and mustard. I would consider a rug change if you need to once you have finished.

I would look for a recycled piece you can up cycle in a bold colour to go on the wall with the word art. [ not sure it really works go for print of some type or a mirror ] This could provide some storage with drawers etc. If you want to keep the cane - paint it in a colour possibly the same colour as a new piece for the end wall. You could use this wall as a painted or papered feature wall.

I would look at reframing your pictures in white - different sizes and textures.

I agree about the tv cabinet- take your time to find what you like to upgrade..

It looks like there might be a lot of dead space between the living and dining - it may not be possible but if you could move it all a meter or so towards the dining room may balance things a bit. All the best it's amazing how each little change adds up to a completely new look.

• jacksplash
    hace 7 años

Lovely room..i think I would have a larger rug though.

• PRO
    Ambient Lounge (Australia)
    hace 7 años

Add some colors in your room like a pink one for an instance. Put a coffee table or a sofa lounge at the corner of your room to maximize your space. For a spring vibe, add some fresh flowers in mason jars for more sophisticated interior!

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    hace 7 años
    Have you thought to flip the sofa to have its back to the kitchen area close to the wall where tv is now (not hard up though) then the tv unit on the short wall next to doorway. This could create a better flow.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.