Houzz Logo Print
kneiwagner

Fireplace update

Kristen Wagner
hace 7 años

I want to paint my fireplace doors for sure, to get rid of brass, but what color, think flat black, also was wondering if I should paint mantel white? My husband won't let me paint brick so any suggestions would be great. I'm going to paint room a neutral gray.

Comentarios (16)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

You have to use a black spray paint designed to be used on items subject to heat, so you don't have any choice on the finish. I think it will be satin.

Kristen Wagner agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Kelli Webber - Designer
    hace 7 años
    I'd like to see what the rest of the room looks like and what your decor is. There are so many ways to go here. Why can't you paint the brick????
    Kristen Wagner agradeció a Kelli Webber - Designer
  • Kristen Wagner
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

My husband says no, very stubborn on this point.

• Kristen Wagner
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Might replace carpet with wood floor eventually.

• Bailey R
    hace 7 años

Guess I'm lucky....we had a similar fireplace, my wife HATED the brick,. It's gone now! :)

Kristen Wagner agradeció a Bailey R
  • Kristen Wagner
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I hate it too, would love stone

• Kristen Wagner
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Do I paint mantel white? Would that help?

• Kristen Wagner
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Can you send pic, that's great idea.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Painting the mantel white will only make matters worse.

You could address the room in general and that might improve the appearance, but I imagine your husband might object to that also??

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

Hello! Several thoughts: dry walling the brick is a great suggestion; if that doesn't work, painting the mantle is a solid choice. You may pick a shade of paint that is several shades darker than the trim. This way the mantle will still have it's own style and architectural interest. A custom built mantle would be amazing, though! Best wishes on your project!

• housegal200
    hace 7 años

Here are some things that would help lighten the entire fireplace wall and reconfigure surroundings without painting the fireplace:

--Get a rustic, chunky light colored wood mantel that extends to the edge of the fireplace. Painting the current one white is too much contrast. The red brick calls for something natural.

--Paint the brass black as suggested above and fill the space with big chunky logs in light colored wood or birch--not just one or two logs, but a big pile.

--Place a light colored open basket of tall, light-colored logs on the hearth.

--Put a beautiful light colored landscape, representational or abstract, that is about three-quarters the width of the fireplace. Your room is a sea of brown, beige, and dark colors. This might be easier than drywalling the top, though that's a good idea.

Ren-Wil OL898 Autumn MistOlivia Salazar Collection · Más información

--Change your curtains to white with a red or brown accent to add lightness and pattern to that wall.

--You're fortunate to have a flanking window and sliders to let in light, but the TV blocks the pretty window. If you move your TV and console to the mirror wall instead, float your sofa to face that wall, and turn the coffee table, your room will feel much more airy. And you'll have the bonus of seeing the TV from the kitchen. Put one of your upholstered chairs next to the window with a lamp, and you have a reading corner and the other facing the fireplace.

• Bailey R
    hace 7 años

I will try to send a pic, technologically challenged here :(

• housegal200
    hace 7 años

Some examples of different ways to decorate a red brick fireplace. As Beverly shows above, stark white isn't the way to go. Try to match grout color to any painted mantel treatments you may consider (see distressed surround below)

Robinson · Más información

Publications · Más información

Contemporary House · Más información

• marinavc4
    hace 7 años
    We had a similar brick fireplace and covered it with drywall and marble. The brass door was spray painted grey. Here are the before and after pics.
  • PRO
    Kelli Webber - Designer
    hace 7 años
    I do agree...a white mantke will look terrible. I think your best bet is to just decorate around the brick to detract from it. With a painting over the mantle and some large accent pieces on the hearth you can brighten it up as is!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.