Houzz Logo Print
monidda

Help with Windows and Front Door needed

Monica
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

Our home is a 26 year old timber frame built property and I am struggling with decisions regarding windows and a front door.

Sadly we decided to go for UPVC, partly budget partly because we will not recoup the costs when we would decide to sell in the future choosing a more costly option. I made a decision to have charcoal grey on the outside and white on the inside but this leaves me with questions such as what colour should the front door and the garage be?.

Also I would like the windows to be a bit more detailed rather than just plane panes, what do you think? does this stupid? I was thinking a modern large scale grid leaded panes maybe ?

I am also having difficulties imagining a suitable front door, I am keen on making the entry a bit more symmetrical so I wondered whether a 3 panel door with some pretty stained glass uppers would look out of place or two long windows either side of a solid door?

I would really appreciate your help please :) Thank you,

Monica

Comentarios (29)

• minnie101
    hace 7 años

Hello Monica! How are you? Any news on the kitchen? Are you painting the Windows yourselves? If so I might just test one, I think the panes will look nice as they are. Garage door I'd do in the charcoal. Front door I might look at a grass green, alternatively an aubergine might be nice (look at adventurer 7 or purple brown by Little Greene). I like the idea of making it symmetrical :) like the long window idea but not so sure on the stained glass, were you thinking a modern or traditional design though?

Monica agradeció a minnie101
  • James
    hace 7 años
    Hi, I like the grey windows idea; they always look modern and suit most house styles imo. Bear in mind that any leading you out in the panes will reduce the light entering the rooms. Your house front has quite a bit of interest anyway so I don't really think it needs anything else in the windows.
    For the door I'd go post office red, but I like that kind of thing! If not then matching the windows would be second on my list, and I think the garage should match the front door. Both types of door (3-pane and solid) would be nice to me so I can't help with that one. Good luck with it!
    Monica agradeció a James
  • Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hi Minnie, lovely of you to pop on :). I am doing ok thank you I hope you are as well??

The kitchen is still going ahead, we chose everything and booked it for early spring BUT we have since decided to add an extension and create a small sitting area off the kitchen so I need to go back to Karen at OnePlan so she can alter our plans a little. I can't quite believe it myself but it just shows how important living in the space for a bit is, so that you can really understand how you use it and what pay attention at what extra needs/wants arise.

Thank you for the advice, I wasn't going to go for coloured stained glass but rather the more modern all clear but with different textures providing the interest and only if I was having the half glazed three panels door type.

My preference would be for a solid middle door ( so that my wreath pops at Christmas LOL) with two glass panels either side (not in the textured stained glass something a bit more muted, frosted ??) but I am not sure where I would find that particular door?

I love the idea of aubergine, sounds right up my alley and would be a nod to the Blueberry sofa in the lounge.

The windows will be cheap and cheerful UPVC, so no painting existing ones as they are in bad shape really.

Now do you know where would I go for a nice hardwood door??

• Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

JIMBOHOTPANTS !!!! What a name LOL

Thank you for your input red is my favourite colour and I will consider it once I decided on a style of door.

My preference is for more traditional styles, if you have any ideas or know of any reliable manufacturers I would appreciate it if you shared it here.

• Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I would love something like this, but OUCHY on price !!!

• minnie101
    hace 7 años

Hi Monica. I'm good thanks. Exciting news re the extension! I think it will be great having the extra seating area. When will the build start? The glass sounds good and a wreath would definitely pop on an aubergine or red door! I've never bought a door so don't know who to recommend I'm afraid. These guys have a number of nice ones but I can't find any reviews on them :(

http://www.jonathanelwellinteriors.co.uk/aboutus2.html

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 7 años
    Hi lovely Monica !! ( and lovely Minnie too !)
    I'll give you a bell later today !!! :-)
  • Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hey Karen *waves frantically* that's so sweet of you, I would love a catch up!!

So as you can imagine I have been scouring the world web for doors and I am torn and keep going backwards and forwards to what I would like. The hallway is quite dark and I am wondering if we should go with glazed panels as they would allow far more light in and make the hallway brighter (willing to sacrifice the wreath LOOK at Christmas )

Do you think something like this would suit?? painted of course not in the oak finish..

• debanger3
    hace 7 años
    With the red brick building I don't think aubergine or red front door would work at all. Perhaps dark green or black or dark blue, all high gloss.
    Monica agradeció a debanger3
  • Claire Harper
    hace 7 años
    I would go for cream sash Windows pvc would work well with your brick and cream front door to match.
    Monica agradeció a Claire Harper
  • Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you Debanger I need to take a picture of my neighbours as they have a red door and it doesn't look that bad. I guess its all about whether your preference is for contrast or tone on tone look.

2015houseplate we considered light as well. However we are a small estate of only 20 houses and everyone have kept their dark windows so I feel we would stick out and go against the grain.

• PRO
    DAP Construction
    hace 7 años

I would love something like this, its different and amazing.

• Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Wouldn't that be nice DAP Construct !!!! I wish I had that extra height so I could play with beautiful detail like the one you highlighted, sadly all I can try is smarten up our modern quite uninspiring facade.

• minnie101
    hace 7 años

Hi Monica. Why not take the design you loved to local joineries? I don't think you're going to be losing light by having full length sidelights but if you need to increase it you could always have the top panel glazed. I like this design with the curves as it will give a nod to the Windows

Monica agradeció a minnie101
  • Hilda Edema-sillo
    hace 7 años
    Facebook
  • Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Mini you are right, by having full panels either side I am actually gaining more glass than I currently have so we should be the same at least, the three glazed panels looks a bit meh so not even for debate anymore.

We have decided that we will have a door from Cerberus maintenance free and very secure, a Georgian design like this example below

However, I am not so keen on the flat looking sand blasted glass on the panels, it all looks a bit flat to me.

One idea would be to have the glass panels clear and apply a decorative frosted film myself ( I could change this as my mood takes me, I have an electronic cutting machine that cuts fretwork like patterns into film).

Or and my preference, would be to go for something a bit more detailed with a leaded design. Similar to this lots of obscure, textured and jewelled glass in a leaded design.

Then the question of the colour still remains LOL What do you guys think?

• Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

This is what I mean by the detailed film option,

I quite like the square divided panels like this example

Or like this one??

Arrgh, I am getting more and more confused !!!!

• PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    hace 7 años

Sorry about the plastic windows, Monica! How about a nice real wood grey/glazed front door like this?

Contemporary timber entrance door, double glazed with chrome hardware · Más información

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    hace 7 años
    It works very well. That's a great upstairs layout.
  • Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi Minnie, The windows are just like those on this house and brick colour is a good match. The door I can have in any RAL colour I choose, and this coupled with their security features, fuss free maintenance is what made me lean towards this company. I think the problem I have is that most examples are with quite thin panels either side, where ours will be a bit wider, we have a width of 2.44m, the door is 950 ( we can't have wider as it will exceed the opening clearance we have in the existing porch).

They have lots of styles and totally customisable,

http://www.cerberusdoors.co.uk/custom-doors/td-20

• minnie101
    hace 7 años

I managed to like my own comment :( the Windows look great. What are your plans re the sidelights? Will you mirror the brick on the right as you look at the door and have the rest as sidelights? There are a few images that come up if you google front door with wide sidelights. If you're worried about them being wide, the last design you posted should help them not to feel so wide whereas the one before with horizontal panes would make them look wider. Do you want the door to stand out or blend in a bit more? A deep teal something like farrow and ball vardo or even deeper would look great with the brick and Windows

• Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi Minnie thank you for the help darling, yes we will mirror the right side porch brick column then split the as rest sidelights. Nice and centered for my symmetry obsessed brain.

I think I know what you mean about the horizontal bars, especially as they would have to work with the panels in the doors and I can't really see how that would work.

I am still fighting with the idea of plain glass though, not sure how I could get to see some modern clear glass leaded panels?? I have this strong gut feeling that adding a bit of detail to the panels will make the whole entrance feel nicer.

Colour wise I think would rather have a little contrast especially as we have the garage door as well, but I'm not feeling the stronger colours.

I am considering light blue from farrow and ball, too safe????

• minnie101
    hace 7 años

Lol! What about the sidelights pictured below? They seem to be of a comparative size? I do really like the light blue but wonder if it's a little too muted against the charcoal? What about green smoke shown in both the pics below?

• minnie101
    hace 7 años

Better colour representation of that first green smoke pic!

• Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hmm it reminds me of the French Gray which I love but not sure I could live with it as a front door colour :(

I think I might just go with a slightly lighter grey than the windows or Pigeon?? that has a bit of green in it , That grid option looks ok, I guess it depends on how thin they would be. Thank you for trying to help lovely xx

• Monica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Just got back from a dog walk and I past a house with two clear sidelights, it looked quite good with the lights on at dusk so I feel a bit better about having clear uninterrupted panels now. Phew, just a colour to decide on now :)

• minnie101
    hace 7 años

That's good news! You will laugh but I looked to see if I could find a pigeon door and that 2nd door is pigeon, I did think it looked like pigeon but it was attributed to green smoke so I thought it was just the light! At least I'm helping you discount colours :)

• PRO
    Synseal Group
    hace 7 años
    Here are a few thoughts on designs and colours

Have a look at www.thedoorworkshop.co.uk
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.