Houzz Logo Print
jolie296

I wake up and hate my flooring, please help!

jolie296
hace 7 años

Hello, so here goes... As you walk into my home, I have old cream toned tile that needs to be updated. This tile leads down into the kitchen where we have a type of cognac/cherry toned kitchen with a creamy light colored granite top. The back
splash is very busy and needs to also be redone. Lets not leave out the creamy yellow paint throughout the house which is not that bad except for the accent color as you walk in. (yikes!) Ok, so i have this tile but off the the right side there is a dining room with older carpet and to the left of the kitchen is the family room with hardwood flooring. this hardwood flooring is also the same as the stairs and upstairs hallway. I don't plan on getting new furniture (the current leather couches are a dark chocolate tone). I want to add a nice porcelain tile to the kitchen that will flow nicely with a new darker tone in the family and dining room areas which would be on either side of the kitchen. I've searched online to find something similar and haven't found anything that would resemble that. What are your suggestions? I have a lot of traffic in my home so that's the reason i didn't want to have all hardwood flooring in the main living area because of the wear it would take on. Please help. 1st picture is showing the front door entrance. 3rd picture is the hallway that leads to the kitchen, 2nd pic shows off to the left family room and rest are in order.

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 7 años

The tile is matched (on purpose) to the carpet to offer a sense of flow in a house with 3 floors inside of 20ft of each other. If you change the tile, you will want to update the carpet.

Are you looking for DARKER tiles? Is that what you are trying to say? I would not....but then it isn't my home. The tiles are matched to the counter tops....and the carpet. That means you have 3 THINGS tied to each other. That gets tough to deal with if you switch out one, you mess up the other two.

Your kitchen is a mid-tone wood on the darker side of "mid-tone". That means a darker floor will have to be VERY dark (think jet black) to get this to work. Or perhaps a deep slate blue (blue goes nicely with the cherry stain).

This can work - so long as you change out the carpet to a colour that works with the DARK tiles and change the backsplash to pull in the dark floor into the kitchen.

Dark+Dark+dark = super dark. This gets very tough to deal with, very, very quickly. I'm sorry to say but your tiles are matched to your counters and to the carpet. To get something else into the home, you will need to look at changing a few other things just to get it to look "OK". But it may never look "right" until you rip out the kitchen and start again....which is not something you want to think about for another 20 years.

Good luck. I would look at a very light silver-gray or cream travertine-look porcelain tile in a large format. It would fit into your house quite nicely - so long as you MATCH the carpet at the same time. Another option is a tumbled limestone-look porcelain in multiple sized tiles. It would also work. Again the carpet has to be matched at the same time.

• jolie296
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you both for your input. The carpet is definitely on my list to convert to hardwood flooring. The tiles in the kitchen i agree should be kept similiar to the counter. However, its the hardwood floor that i would like to change to a darker tone. Im thinking that once i can pull the floors together that i can then go with a backslpash that would tie in nice. With that said, what would you suggest as far as tile color and hardwood floor color to go with the cabinets? Your input is greatly appreciated.

• wacokid
    hace 7 años

Seems to me like a huge expense. Can you tell if your flooring in the kitchen was put down first and the cabinets on top of the flooring? Like Cancork says, unless you do it all than you probably won't achieve the look that you want.

• shari13
    hace 7 años

Nothing wrong with the floor IMO. I would leave it and change the backsplash.

• er612
    hace 7 años

I agree with other commenters, I don't see anything wrong with the floor. I think changing the wall colors will make the biggest difference in updating the space.

• flopsycat1
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Don't know if this even works, and I'm sure it's extremely labor intensive, but I've seen recommendations to paint the grout. If the grout lines were less visible, you may not hate the floor quite as much. Certainly easier and cheaper than replacing all the tile. Just a thought, maybe a bad one, I don't know.

• er612
    hace 7 años

Blue/grey and/or ivory would work better with the flooring throughout. The current cream is too yellow and the brown doesn't help. I would definitely put my money towards paint before considering the floors.

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 7 años

To give you lovely home a nice flow, and a huge impact, consider changing all flooring to the same floor. I'd go with a large travertine that blends with your countertops. (Don't worry about the backsplash yet.) From there, you can add area rugs to help define spaces and add color.

• er612
    hace 7 años

• User
    hace 7 años

I agree with some of the other posts - I don't think it's the flooring I think the paint colors are the problem. Changing to more neutral colors would change the whole feel of your home and it is a lot cheaper and easier than redoing the flooring. Adding some rugs would work wonders.

• Jillian - Interior design student
    hace 7 años

Flopsy is right, grout can easily be recolored. I had my bathrooms done and they look great. Choose a color as close to the tile color as possible. Grout companies come in and machine clean the floors, color the grout and then seal everything. I paid $1.50/sqft, but I'm sure prices vary depending on where you live.

If you decide to replace it, slate look porcelain tile would look great.

• Jillian - Interior design student
    hace 7 años

Skyline Steel or Popular Gray would be two good choices for paint. They are both warm grays and very versatile.

Skyline Steel SW

• jolie296
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded, you all have very valid points. I going to go ahead and maybe invest in the paint color change first and also change the grout as Flopsycat1 suggested. Thank you Er612, that visual really helps. If anyone can think of other paint combinations that think would go well please let me know. As far as the hardwood floor, the formal living room carpet will be taken out as planned, now I just have to decide if i will stain it to match the rest of the house or restain the rest to match the new hardwoodflooring in the area. Thank you all for your opinions.

• PRO
    gtg Redesign
    hace 7 años
    Good call on removing carpet everywhere. Lighter tile color is good, not a fan of square tile and grout. But cleaning or coloring the grout would work in the meantime. Really dark floors show a lot of dirt. You can use the same plank size wood and strip and stain. A flooring consultant can come to your house and give you options and if they can match. Painting the brown wall I agree with others. If you keep the current tile, if the tile is more beige (hard to see in pics) may want to go with a beige/gray. Beige is making a come back. Good luck. You got a good start.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.