Houzz Logo Print
jsfam

Get me started! Brick wall & all white cabinets etc?

jsfam
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

This is our new to us condo that needs updating. It is on a beach so we want tile or concrete floors due to sand but what color? Should we go dark floors with all white everything else with lots of lighting or should we have a beige floor with lighter cabs? We want to keep brick wall as is. I don't want it to be overly modern or industrial looking. Just timeless & coastal if that is possible! I'm struggling!! Help! I had a thread a few months ago but am looking for fresh ideas. We don't want to change the footprint of the place just want to bring it up to date.

Comentarios (18)

• calidesign
    hace 7 años

I would use porcelain tiles in a light sand color on the floor. You could do a driftwood look tile or keep it more basic solid so it doesn't clash with the brick. The cabinets could be white paint, a natural color wood finish, or the medium wood tone you have now. Paint the walls white, cream, or a white tinted with a touch of blue/green. Use natural colors with texture or deeper blues so the overall effect is of sand, water, and sky. And don't forget about adding some good lighting.

jsfam agradeció a calidesign
  • PRO
    Vintage House Design
    hace 7 años

Choose your colors from the existing brick as this is your palette, unless you change it. Soffits, yes, are dead issues and adding a Nantucket style cabinet door would add so much. There is driftwood colored wood look tile that is fantastic and in a color from your brick would be gorgeous. Lighten up everything you can, add lots of lighting but adding some rustic items would keep it warm while light and interesting. Have fun!

jsfam agradeció a Vintage House Design
  • havingfun
    hace 7 años

i would do the lower cabinets in blue, and the upper cabinets in a cream then i would do the beams in a light creamy color too. i would have wood floors that have that white wash look.

jsfam agradeció a havingfun
  • jsfam
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Here is the brick up close. (Low light). Not much white so didn't know if I should have no white.

• Danielle Black
    hace 7 años
    I would do cream tiles and off white cabinets so the brick stands out.
    jsfam agradeció a Danielle Black
  • spur63
    hace 7 años
    It's great that you are leaving the brick as is. I agree with the porcelain tile suggestions. It's a great product and there are so many options. Just be sure paint and tile colors work with the brick. There are many "whites" that will be good with your brick.
    jsfam agradeció a spur63
  • jsfam
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Do u think these looks with go with the brick wall? I took a few screenshots from my pinterests pins. Do u like a driftwood or travertine like look with the wall? Or am I not on the right track?

• PRO
    Vintage House Design
    hace 7 años

If you're at the beach and are seeking a beach look, wood-look tile is best. Trust me, I've used it and it's stunning! The "white" showing in your pins is better as it's not stark white. Again, and I it can't be said strongly enough, do not use a white that contrasts whatever "white" is in your brick. Some of the posted pictures show brick that is clearly more red or has darker browns. If you use stark white next to an off white, you will not like the result.

jsfam agradeció a Vintage House Design
  • janedoe2012
    hace 7 años
    That is a LOT so brick. It looks like there is a jog towards what I assume is the entry door. Could you sheetrock just that area, where there appears to be no natural light?

And then maybe get some large art to cover some of the brick in the main area?

I like the brick. There is a just a lot of it.

I would suggest trying to get into other units to see what people have done. Or look up your address on a real estate website for listing photos of other units. You don't have a "clean slate," so it is hard to visualize what will look good. Can you get the blue carpeting out ASAP?

Alot depends on your budget. If you are going to spend 200k, then maybe you want to look some interesting cabinets. If you are looking to spend 40k all-in, then you are probably going to want white (ish) cabinets.
    jsfam agradeció a janedoe2012
  • PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    hace 7 años

I think this color scheme would look great with the brick accent wall, and the wood-look tile on the floor - and the back of the peninsula.

jsfam agradeció a CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
  • Catherine O
    hace 7 años
    If your not looking to do a total renovation I would:
    Paint the cabinets white and maybe buy hardware that evokes living on the coast (anchors, coral, etc) or just keep them simple and classic.
    Above the cabinets, either do new wallpaper or paint.
    The floor in a really light color; the look of travertine.
    That wood part seen of kitchen island, painted white to match cabinets
    Brick wall with a grand coastal decor; a big surf board or oars.
    Furniture light and airy
    Walls with pictures and decor of coastal decor.
    Here are some photos. Hope this helps.
    Catherine O
    jsfam agradeció a Catherine O
  • groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Sand and water will not be kind to a real hardwood floor, but wood-look
    tile or vinyl are good alternatives. I'd paint every stick of wood with
    the exception of the ceiling beams white. When you paint the walls, use a
    matte paint instead of a gloss.

jsfam agradeció a groveraxle
  • havingfun
    hace 7 años

the off whites shown are more gray, i tend to like a more yellowish creamy white. someone was talking about putting wallboard up in one area. why not just tack up board with wall paper in those spots, it can look spectacular and not permanent.

• PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    hace 7 años

Really like the brick. Accentuate that wall by keeping everything else clean and simple. Don't overdo the beach-themed decor. I think light-colored flooring and walls and a white kitchen, some airy furniture, and the fact that you're near the beach will give it a coastal feel.

jsfam agradeció a Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
  • PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    hace 7 años

Another option would be to whitewash the bricks - don't misunderstand me, I LOVE the bricks - but you could soften up the color with an application like this:

Living Room · Más información

jsfam agradeció a CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
  • jsfam
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks to all of you for your help! It is appreciated. Lots of work to do... Look for future posts about bathrooms!!! The great news is it can only get better!

Guest bath off hallway

Master bath

The room for my three girls (bunks) with odd shaped window that we can't change shape size. We love this place & can't wait to make it look like it feels!

• PRO
    Bearded Builders, Baltimore
    hace 7 años

Ceramic tile would be your best bet (durable and easy to clean). I think a nice gray hardwood tile floor would look awesome, especially with white kitchen cabinets for the coastal look you are going for. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Good luck!

jsfam agradeció a Bearded Builders, Baltimore
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.