Houzz Logo Print
chelseysebast100

Open floor plan painting problems!

Chelsey T
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

How in the world do I paint this space? My small foyer opens up into a totally open living room/kitchen. I wanted to paint the foyer but I'm not sure how to transition into the living room. Help!

Also, I am trying to upload a photo for reference.

Comentarios (12)

• Chelsey T
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

• PRO
    Vintage House Design
    hace 7 años

In an open space, you have to choose your lines. Because the hall wall doesn't end in the foyer, it comes into the living room, you'd have to continue the wall to the end of that wall. Wrapping the paint to the fireplace finishes that wall and you should wrap it on the opposite side too. Paint the extended wall above the same color. The indent above the hallway on the fireplace side could be a shade (lighter/darker) of the wall color to set it apart. If not, paint it the same. You are then free to paint the remaining walls another color. Let me know how you make out.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    One possibility is to paint the ceiling of entry a color to be interesting, maybe a metallic, then do ceiling and rest of walls a complimentary color. Maybe bring ceiling color around fireplace for some distinction. Is that your furniture in photos? What colors were you thinking?
  • Chelsey T
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the help!

I was thinking a slate blue for the foyer (Behr's Atlantic Shoreline) but now I'm totally rethinking that because I don't really want to continue into the living room with such a dark color. The walls in my foyer bathroom are Behr Hazlenut Cream. And yes, that is my furniture so I would like the color to complement the chocolate couches that I have. We are getting new tables that aren't so heavy looking.

• RubyRoses
    hace 7 años
    you could use the blue green color in your pillows or a lighter version of it.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Yea, I think RubyRoses and most of us think, you would be better off doing all the walls and ceiling a light color and then bringing your color in as accents with pillows and accessories, etc. I still think you could paint the pop out of the fireplace an accent color if you wanted to. Maybe a warm green/gray or even a gray blue. Get a bunch of pillows that appeal to you, bring them home, check them out with our stuff and keep the ones you love and return the rest. Then, pick out your favorite color from them to repeat in a few places in your room. Keep us posted.

• shirlpp
    hace 7 años

You could go monochromatic and use one shade of darker blue in the foyer and then in the living room use another shade. Your best bet is to load your photo to the SW or BM website and use their paint planner.

• studio10001
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

The idea of transition has already been broken by the picture frame panelling details that don't continue into the room. I think you could get more continuity by removing that tack on, and finding a mural or wallpaper with a background the same colour as your walls.

Maze Modern Classic Lilac Removable Wallpaper · Más información

If you are renting, consider framed art to provide interest there instead, and save the paint for the ceiling.

• Chelsey T
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

So I played around with it on the SW website. Couldn't get the colors spot on but I tried. I agree about the frames, they aren't my favorite.

Here's what I did...

It looks weird to me. I'm thinking I should cut my losses and move.

• Steph
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I think it might look weird because the colors you chose. IMO, they aren't very complementary. Play around with different colors or paint everything just one color.

Sorry, are you renting?

• RubyRoses
    hace 7 años
    the upper walls need to be the same color as the short walls and there should not be that drastic of a difference in the colors.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.