Houzz Logo Print
tgross39

White or Anthracite Grey Window/Bifold Door on Extension???

tgross39
hace 7 años

Hi everyone

I hope you're having a good day. I'm so glad I found this website as everyone is so helpful so thanks for that ;-).

My rear single story extension is currently being built and will be rendered although not sure what colour paint yet as
my builder suggests waiting until it is built so they can then paint some
different colour samples and then I can decide. At the moment I'm thinking cream or light
grey. Rest of the house is brick. However, originally I was going to
have a white window and white bifold door (only 1.6m wide though so not full length) on the extension but I
like the "anthracite grey" colour door but would want the window matching. It would mean grey window/door on the
extension on render but white windows at the top with brick on the
original house.

I know lots of people are having extensions different to the main house now so they
stand out. I have attached a couple of pictures (the first is of the demoloshed sunroom), showing the rear of the property and would welcome advice on the windor/door colour and rendered walls paint colour on the new extension.

Thanks so much.

Tina

Comentarios (17)

• louisecampbell09
    hace 7 años
    anthracite..go for it. Then find the wall colour, later on. We chose black aluminium doors windows and roof (with glass panels) and everyone thought we were mad but they love it and I'm glad we went for it. good luck ☺
    tgross39 agradeció a louisecampbell09
  • doogie72
    hace 7 años

We've just had anthracite framed windows installed. Our house is part render painted white and part wood cladding. The anthracite looks good with both.

tgross39 agradeció a doogie72
  • Daisy England
    hace 7 años
    I love the grey ones. Go for it.
    tgross39 agradeció a Daisy England
  • sksj1
    hace 7 años
    Love anthracite ... this year ... loved grey/green 3 years ago ... cream before that. I am having the same dilemma as you and have decided on white to match the rest of the house, and to stand them test of time rather than 'on-trend'! Everyone's having anthracite so white is technically alternative now!
    tgross39 agradeció a sksj1
  • PRO
    Branwhite Properties Ltd
    hace 7 años
    I like the idea of having anthracite frames on your extension. I also think that the house would look better if the upstairs windows at the rear of the original house were also anthracite...so why not get the white frames "wrapped"? This is the same technique that some people use to change the colour of their car. I have not actually used this technique myself so cannot recommend a company to do it. However,from what I have seen the effects look very good.
    tgross39 agradeció a Branwhite Properties Ltd
  • Mandy Ross
    hace 7 años
    Go with the anthracite they look fab
    tgross39 agradeció a Mandy Ross
  • tgross39
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments - much appreciated.

• PRO
    Designer Range
    hace 7 años

This a common dilemma. In my opinion the doors can stand on their own merits with regards to colour choice as they are such a design feature. See image of an installation recently carried out. Pro-Tip - keep to one colour to both sides of the doors. I.e. grey inside and outside. It reduces your costs considerably and also prevents you having a mix match of colours when the doors are folded in the open position.

• PRO
    Design Storey
    hace 7 años

What door system did you use Slemish Design?

• PRO
    Banda Property
    hace 7 años

Definitely the grey! Good luck, can't wait to see it finished!

tgross39 agradeció a Banda Property
  • tgross39
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Not sure on the door system yet.... just deciding colour first. I agree that grey looks nice on brick but not so sure on a painted rendered extension when the existing house is brick with white windows..... decisions decisions. Thanks again for your recommendations. Tina PS... the reason I went with render on the extension is that the bricks are difficult to match and I am fussy ;-).

• Terry Phipps
    hace 7 años

Sliding doors are proving very popular at the moment as they can stack to one side and not protrude into the garden space and be easier to move than full set of bi-folds so that would an approximate opening of about 4m with 3 x 1.250m (plus frame ) panel of glass that would all stack in parallel inline. Or you could try panoramic doors they are more versatile as they are detachable from each other and give you more options for you layout at the finish. There a tutorial on you tube ?

Do you have building control on these works as I am finding that architects are making us use a lot more steel as in a goal post design for stability, depending on how wide you want to go with the opening?

• PRO
    Designer Range
    hace 7 años
    White original windows on the house and Modern black slim frames on the extension.
    tgross39 agradeció a Designer Range
  • PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    hace 7 años

Hi Tina, we have just completed a project in London, with a new extension and loft conversion. Our client has kept the existing white windows to their home and we have supplied and installed new Aluminium Antracite grey windows to the loft and bifolding doors to the new extension, as per image... hope this helps?

• PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    hace 7 años

Hi Tina, have a look at our projects section, this will show white and other RAL coloured aluminium frames against rendered and brickwork projects.

• ianthy
    hace 7 años

Just had ours fitted and would def go for anthracite again. It looks so classy.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.