Houzz Logo Print
cgigi1012

Help needed! Securing a freestanding tub to a tiled wooden platform.

cgigi1012
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

My tub is going to be located on top of a tiled wooden platform. My contractor says that the acrylic freestanding tub I bought needs to be supported by 4 adjustable legs and nothing else. The tub is a Piatti,BT1617. No instructions were included. The acrylic edge is very thin and delicate at the edges and is curved. I read everywhere on the web that one needs to secure the tub in order to not have any movement, otherwise the connections to the drain could be affected and future problems could happen. Only these 4 legs or points are in contact with the floor, nothing else, and there are no bolts or anything else to tie the tub down. The issue is that the tub is supposed to have zero separation from the floor.

How do these legs need to get secured to the platform? I called the store and they say that once we know the exact height each leg needs to be, to just sit the legs on some type of special silicone, but my contractor says that is not possible and it needs to stay loose. This tub is not heavy so I could bump into it and compromise its connection. The contractor is thinking of the cheap white silicone stuff contractors use to fill holes, cracks and patch things, but that does not make sense. Does any one knows what kind of silicone is this one?

I'm going crazy. I don't trust this guy anymore. My little bathroom project has been delayed for over 3 months for issues this guy created and I cannot control. I really need certainty but I feel he is giving me the easy way out but not the correct one.

If anyone has experience with these type of tubs and conditions, please chime in. Thank you.

Comentarios (13)

• cgigi1012
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
  • GreenDesigns
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

If you want it to sit on a platform, it shouldn't be wooden. It should be concrete block. Wood flex stop much for tile and will crack. It also needs to be a rather KARGE platform, with a rail, as it needs plenty of room to act as the step it is. I don't see this design turning out well at all if that diagram is any example of your contractor's ideas. And spelling.

WHY isn't it just sitting on the floor?

• cgigi1012
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

GreenDesign, Thank you for your reply.

I live in a condo without access from floor below. I checked before starting this project and was told by many experts and sources that this solution was acceptable. This guy is a licensed contractor and has done plenty of other jobs in our condominium and that's why I hired him. I had a much larger tub with the drain located at a different point. Platform is already built, tiled and waiting for the tub to be connected to drain pipe and put in place. My concern is that those 4 legs seem to be minimal and to have the tub held there just by gravity may not be enough to secure the tub in place. I just want confirmation on what is the norm for similar cases. I was told to use a special silicone around the adjustable legs but if that is the answer I do not sure what kind of silicone to buy.

• cgigi1012
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Current status of platform.
  • cgigi1012
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Bathroom layout
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

I'm with your contractor on this one.

• tsth5236
    hace 7 años

My tub is similar and my contractor wanted to run a seam of caulk all around the edge of the tub. I said no way, it would ruin the look of the tub. I only had them put caulk or silicone on each leg. It is very stable...I've had it for a year now and I was very scared at first thinking it might come loose. It hasn't wiggled. But mine is on tile?

• cgigi1012
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I do appreciate your feedback. The option of a silicone seam around the base was also suggested by him but I said no and to wait until I found out what to do. I don't want to ruin the look and I don't see tubs detailed like that in any magazines. So 4 blobs of silicone at each of the legs should be enough? What type did you use? Any particular color and type I should use?
  • cgigi1012
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Close up of one of the legs and current status of platform. So basically the underside of the tub is floating supported on the legs and about 1/8 " from the porcelain tile. A blob of silicone on each leg should be sufficient then?
  • tsth5236
    hace 7 años

It doesn't matter on color as the legs do not show. I don't know the exact product my plumbers used, but it was just the standard stuff in the tube. I'm assuming that it was silicone sealant? If you look at the closeup of my tub pic, it looks about the same as yours around the bottom. Mine had the legs too and I know that they set it just with blobs at each leg. The legs should not show.

cgigi1012 agradeció a tsth5236
  • tsth5236
    hace 7 años

Just fyi, I stood on top of them at installation...and reinforced how precious that tub was...and that I really wanted them to be careful! It was an expensive investment for me and I wanted it installed with kid gloves...so I stood there while they did it. You should too. :-) If I had not been there, the contractor would have had them put the sealant all around the edge of it....thankfully I was there to tell them not to!

cgigi1012 agradeció a tsth5236
  • Christian Broadwell
    hace 3 años

You could also have two plates made that hold the far side legs to the ground where the tub is pulled into them. This prevents side tipping when empty and allows for the trap to be cleaned often.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.