Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What makes someone a true artist?

Emily H
hace 7 años

Central Park West Residence · Más información

When you think about art and artists, what, to you, makes someone a true artist? How would you make that distinction in your mind?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Comentarios (534)

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

printesa - two fusion tunes - Indian/jazz - I really enjoy "Ramana" by Chintan and Prem Joshua - they have another song - "Ahir". if I could remix the vocal out I would enjoy it more or replace that with a female singer with a more soothing voice that parallels the instrumentals - I find the male "wailing" very distracting/grating and not congruous as a soothing lyrical female voice would be. I bought these on itunes don't know if Youtube is the same version. I'm beginning to look forward to my work out so i can listen to music.

Did you ever listen to the itunes version of "Somaruyo by Chatmonchy? I was thinking it was an impassioned song of love or relationship - found the translation it is about someone watching another kill themselves through smoking too much. I find it fascinating as to how the intended audience affects the composition - the Youtube version being much more ballad like and the itunes version being Westernized and much more rocking. I did not care for the Japanese version - fairly bland. I don't know if that is pandering or synthesizing the reality of the situation so other cultures can enjoy the piece. When my daughter was in China she played music for the people she worked with and there was only one song they "liked" - My Little Potato by Metamora. I asked her to look for music for me - she knows my taste and said it just isn't there for the most part - mostly western pop and covers.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

The Ahir song reminds me of something and I cannot pinpoint the artist..some combination of Chris Spheeris and some middle eastern/indian music..When we were kids, we used to go to movies and many times they had some old Bollywood movies that had all kinds of songs..I think half the movie was just songs. I wouldn't be able to watch those movies anymore, but back then we would watch anything we could.

I tried to find Somaruyo by Chatmonchy, but I only find the Japanese version on youtube. I'll look on itunes

The little potato song is very popular on Kids radio. We used to listen to that station and still do sometimes.

I listened to Chiodos..very American metal I would say...metal/alternative..reminds me of Billy Talent..for some reason I liked one of their songs, but after listening to their lyrics, it creeped/crept me out and I didn't want to listen to it anymore

Speaking of growling, I am fine with some, but the one I don't like is as in Belphegor. I can't get past the growling to hear the actual music, which I am sure there is some.
    Now I am waiting for my latest CD from Sonata..I got it a few days ago, but it was damaged and now I am waiting for the next shipping, which was supposed to be today, but Fedex decided to bring it on Monday. Ah, the art of delivery:)

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

at Joshua - I see that you made a comment in my inbox on the thread but go to look for it and nothing is there.

True artist? I "like it" but that alone does not make them a true artist. I feel this entertains and in the right time could inspire. Still thinking about it. Fusion - and if you look at it for a while you can see a face - with "communication" coming out of the mouth?

• printesa
    hace 7 años

a very enthusiastic Napoleon:)

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

A parable about true artists: 100% fictional

A farmer worked hard all his life and accumulated quite a bit of money. He had always lived simply/frugally and when it cam time to retire he thought he would make a present to himself.

He called up Picasso because he had heard he was the best and asked if he could paint him a picture of a rooster because he thought they were beautiful.

Picasso said sure. The farmer asked how much that would cost. Picasso said $50,000. The farmer said that seemed kind of high but he was done pinching pennies and said OK.

Several months went by and the farmer called up Picasso to see how the painting was coming along. He said he was getting close to finishing it.

Another month and a half went by and he called him up again. Yes, I just finished it and it is drying in the screening area off the gallery.

The farmer got to the gallery and Picasso showed him in to the viewing room. There, on an easel was a painting of a rooster - the painting captured the essence of rooster in some bold strokes. Three toes on each foot and the talon, legs, a spray of tail feathers, a comb and a beak. The farmer said - wow that really captures the essence of a rooster but I'm paying $50,000 for that?

Picasso said no - follow me. He opened the doors to his studio and the farmer walked in. The first thing he noticed was he was walking through sheets of paper on the floor - they were sketches of roosters. On the wall were sketches of roosters, trash cans full of them, hanging from the ceiling, taped to the windows.

Picasso said - that is what you paid $50,000 for, the painting is what you are taking home.

I have told this parable to more than one client after they started to haggle over my fee like it was a bargain bin at a flea market. Renegotiating an agreement after the work is done is a sign of the cheapest kind of person. I point out there are many other designers in the world if they think my services are not worth what I charge.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Sometimes you need to describe to them the process. Otherwise, people don't understand. One of the problems is the instant gratification syndrome..want it now, if possible, yesterday and it shouldn't cost much because I want it now and the process should be very short...therefore, cheap

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

So true. Fallout from the growth economy paradigm - something is valuable when it is rare - know anyone that darns socks? People throw out things they bought because it was on sale - they never wore it, and now it is out of style. Fast food mentality for everything. There is too much stuff. I explain the design and construction process in my project programming guide - if you ever want a copy - no cost, no obligation (I want a well-designed world) - drop me note at mc@architecturebysynthesis.com. The person currently engaging in this behavior (haggling after the fact) "did not have time" to read the guide and do a program - but has ten times the amount of time to wander around in design evolution and gripe about the results. I say when I make the decisions I will take the responsibility, in the mean time time compensate me for what you asked me to do. I always tell them that if they can find someone better, faster and/or less expensive to tell me about them because I will use them too.

We are told that for the economy to grow we need to grow the population - look at China for the value of life when you have 1.4 bullion people. Not meaning to get political but pro life really means pro birth. Take care of the children and people on the planet already and then I'd say more is a possibly reasonable idea. But the planet needs to be taken care of too - at least not exploited and abused for there to be a reason to be here. The two are mutually exclusive though. The economy thrives at the expense of the environment - I say how about half the people and work half the time for other people and half for yourself - blasphemy. It is a world in which true artists would thrive.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

You were saying that this person 'did not have time'..time is money for them, but it looks like someone else's time does not cost anything. It's funny when we hear that,,their time is always more valuable than other people's time.
    Your reply to them about finding someone cheaper/better reminds me of woman from the village where I grew up. She had a similar reply when we were joking that we should make the blouses she was selling since they were so pricey:) She makes traditionally embroidered blouses (they are called 'ie'..here is a link I found just to see what I am referring to http://www.ligia.ro/) . They are pricey because she makes them by hand and you cannot tell the difference between the outside and inside of the blouse (I know that because once I mistakenly took it inside out:)). It's a piece of art. However, people are used to buy cheap ones, made by machines, somewhere in Asia...the material is not the same, the craftsmanship is nowhere close and by not buying something so beautiful, the art of making them slowly dies.

I won't start a discussion about the environment because I'm too passionate about it:) I teach my kids that they need to take care of their environment, keep it clean and do everything they can to make it better. If everyone would do their small part, things would be much better. I start seeing more people caring and realizing that if we don't stop with all the garbage, pesticides and chemicals, things are not going to get better. I just hope we go that way, meaning back to basics. We really don't need much to be happy, but so many are caught in this hamster exercise wheel that all they do is run and not get to enjoy anything. We need to re-learn the art of living a simple life

• PRO
    Rana/Art Palette
    hace 7 años

When you create something that makes you feel good when you look at it and gives you a sense of accomplishment, it is basically a piece of art.
    I always mostly been into traditional art and stayed away from modern but lately, I am having visions of creating a line of Modern Traditional and I will be able to explain it only after I do few pieces. It will be like looking at Traditional art with Modern vision.

Here is my website, www.artpalette.net and couple of photographs of my work.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

printesa - you are preaching to the choir. I am very close to releasing a couple videos - one is about littering and Karma - serious fun and the other is about an automated transportation system that will save an incredible amount of energy and make the surface of the earth for people and animals again. It is so energy efficient it will threaten a lot of traditional economics but paves the way for incredible economic opportunity. Where there were clogged streets will now be shops and apartments, runners and bicycles. I've been working on it for some time. Ironically it will be fought vehemently here - China will get it though. I am so tempted to post an image but don't want to let the cat out of the bag - I can post a shot of the opening of Karma - What if?" though. It is at the music licensing folks now to see if they will let me use a particular song in the background - fingers crossed. I may have posted this before - I don't know if photos are true art but this one makes me smile every time.

Paradise is not particularly profitable but that is where I want to live. Glad to know you are out there.

• printesa
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

That sounds like a great project. I really miss being able to walk anywhere..the more we walk, the healthier we are and the more we can enjoy life

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

In our little bubble/womb/cocoon here in the US we tend to think everyone and everywhere is like us then you go to somewhere like Spain (last summer) and say, Wow! "This is great, why can't it be like this where we live?" Soon, hopefully a nice quiet revolution for health of ourselves and the planet - it doesn't take much to figure out how this will end if we keep on the path we are on currently. Consuming the earth like fast food and throwing the garbage out the window for someone else to deal with. We are better than that and need to tap into our god like potential. We are children that need to grow up quickly if we are to survive and then truly thrive in spirit and body, not just drown in stuff and our own garbage and cal that the good life.

Set an example, plants some seeds of change.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

If everyone would do their little part, it would be so much better..Just a minor thing like not throwing garbage anywhere else other than the garbage bin would be a great improvement

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

That would be a start but I think there are much bigger changes that need to be realized such as thinking about what is important in all aspects of our lives - we don't need even half of the goods and services produced. How about not using that time to produce those things and instead be able to pay attention to what goes on in government, what is happening to our environment in something more than sound bites, learn to be more self-sufficient as well as spend time with our spouses, children and community. I don't really want my head stone to say, "He got a lot done at the office".

• PRO
    Furniture Re-born
    hace 7 años

If I like it, then it's art and the person is an artist.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Definitely! That is a big step that each of us should take. My suggestion was something small that even though to many it seems infinitesimal, in the long run, it would make a difference.
    Stuff is overflowing..I've always said that this country is driven by consumerism. Even though I've lived here for a long time, I still can't get used to getting lots of stuff and then throwing it away when I don't like/want anymore. I am sure it has to do with the way I lived as a child..we had to be pretty resourceful and self-sufficient (other than rice, oil and sugar we didn't really buy anything else). Also, politics has always been a subject of discussions..we knew what's going on even though we knew that there was nothing we could have done to change it. This kind of capitalism we live in has us so busy that we don't have time to stop and think about what's going on. I guess this crazy election brought one good thing,,awareness to some extend of what's going on..but that's another subject that is not discussed here:)
    Nature offers the best art and if we want to enjoy it, we need to preserve it

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

printesa - I was watching The Blues Bros last night - the movie is fine and well but the musicians are incredible. Brilliant filming - feels very personal.It even has a very young Carrie Fischer in it.

Also - Mojo and the Boogeymen - off "Got Mojo". "Nat'l Soul"The song/artists experiments with lyrics and their delivery. Put it on the ipod and the kids will say - mom's air guitaring to the ipod again.

If your daughter gets into jazz she has picked a bottomless source of joy - there are so many different directions to go! True artists.

Funk, jam, soul, R&B.

King Buzzo - Laid Back Walking and Drunken Baby

Let the Music Take Your Mind - Kool and the Gang

Psychedelic Shack - The Temptations

I Just Want to Celebrate

SuperFly

Happy Thanksgiving. Yes, this world/economy has us going at breakneck speed past all that is really important - the answer is - less stuff - more love and family.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Thanks dreamdoc! I know the Blues Bros,,the music I mean. I haven't seen the movie. I listened to a few songs from Mojo..really fun:)

I am still listening to the last album from Sonata Arctica. They are touring right now and I went to see them a week ago. It was fun to see them again and do a short meet and greet. If you have a chance, listen to Fairytale, but read the lyrics..it's a parody that was written for our election. Here is a link to their album where you can read the lyrics http://www.sonataarctica.info/discography/the-ninth-hour

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! We'll be home and definitely not buy anything for the sake of black Friday

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

The particular version of Nat'l Soul has Larry McCray as a guest on it.

Check out the artist line up for the first Blues Bros movie - whew!

My next musical expedition is into Sonata Arctica! Headed off for a hike right now.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Yes, that's the version I listened to.
    I hope you find some songs from SA that you like. I've known them since 2003 so I am biased:) The singer has a very wide range..haven't realized that until I started singing some of the songs. He's also part of another project called The Northern Kings (several Finnish singers got together and did a number of covers).
    Hope you had a great hike. We have crazy weather..72F yesterday, 34F today and lots of wind, so walking is not an option for a while

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

I've listened to some of it - I tend to like the songs with lower popularity ratings as opposed to the epic ones. The sound is familiar - a distant cousin of Yes and Focus, more on the order of Star Castle. The style can be a little over powering to the creative process but there are gems as there are in most groups. If I find one song from a group I really like I figure it was a success.

The weather has been a bit erratic here as well - but that is typical for the area. We just change living modes - yesterday it was a triple batch of Toasted granola and a fired up wood stove. By the time we got out to hike it was getting dark but at least it was calm.

May your holidays be festive yet relaxing.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

I looked for Star Castle since I haven't heard of them..I guess I am used to different styles and I can't see the resemblance:) The style of SA changed with Unia..first time I've heard it I was confused..kind of like..what happened? However, the more I listened to it, the more I liked it. Have you listened to their acoustic versions? Here is a link in case you are interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Qm8fPCnL8

Mmm granola..just finished the last batch..I like Lizzie's granola from Michael Simon

Of to putting together a plan for the holidays..something healthy, calm, and warm since the weather is so cold and windy that we can't stay outside for more than a few minutes.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

Starcastle (one word sorry) - Elliptical Seasons (some very nice guitar work, the vocals are a bit wispy for me but they work). Nektar and Chris Squire like. I'm pressed for time right now - headed out the door to Kansas. I'll check out SA some more when I get back.

Home made granola - what to bake when you put the house on the market.

Time to play my favorite game - see how far I can crawl from the table before laying/lying down. Not as much so since going vegan.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

printesa - Finally - the video is posted. https://youtu.be/iAld3-FtzrA

I listened to the acoustic version of SA - I like it better than the other and it is well done - it does not speak to me as it does to you. If we can find things we enjoy whether in groups or by ourselves it is a good day. Just bought "Soy Yo" by Bomba Estereo yesterday - don't understand the lyrics but love the tune. Take care and may good music come your way.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Happy to see that the video is up! I like the message and I hope that it will have millions of views.... many don't know what they are eating and what the consequences are..

I haven't listened to much music lately..today probably no music for me since I am trying to avoid a migraine or at least trying to keep it at a manageable level. I did listen the other day to Heart by Needtobreathe..catchy song:)
    Take care and may the message in your video spread as fast as possible. We have to remain positive:)

• PRO
    PRASADA Custom Homes
    hace 7 años

When creativity and
    passion come together -
    IT IS TRUE ARTISTRY.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

printesa - thank you. Maybe try smelling some lavender - it helps with my headaches sometimes - usually just for a few minutes but they don't come back quite as bad.

What I find disgusting/appalling is "what they (knowingly) feed you"- the cheapest, most profitable "food" is marketed heavily for those very reasons. The people that sell hot dogs and chicken wings don't eat that stuff. Why would they - they make enough money off selling the easily manipulated consumer garbage, that they don't have to.

Hoping to shoot my video for the automated transportation system next week. It's "fatal flaw" is that it will be too efficient - it will mess with the economy it uses so little energy and resources plus it will make exercise part of everyday life so people won't need as much healthcare or pharmaceuticals - oh no, with less need to make so much money we might just work less. Then who will make all the unneeded excess profits for large corporations?

Radiating positivity - why not?

Hope your headache abates - if you haven't, look online for migraine triggers. Sorry you can't d o anything about the current administration - i think overall he will be a positive thing - see "boiling frog syndrome" he will not turn up the heat slowly - the frog will jump out of the pot. I am reminded of the scene in "Rebel without a Cause" where they play "chicken" headed toward a cliff in stolen cars or the ending of "Atlas Shrugged". Sometimes you have to break something all the way before it can be fixed - baling wire and Band aides are only good for so long. Why is it that the most vulnerable have to pay for idealistic stupidity?

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the suggestions! I know some of my triggers and the ones I can avoid, I do,,some are not possible so I have to deal with it. Acupuncture has been helping, but sometimes there is nothing one can do. It shall pass

I totally agree with what you just said, food, consumerism, greed and so on.Speaking of food, McDonalds fries have 19 ingredients!!

As for our current situation, I agree..sometimes we need a total shakeup and start from scratch..too many band aides..I just hope that the decisions they will make, they'll be the right ones,,,at least the ones for our health, education and environment.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

And they actually use beef product in their fries. Another example of "value added". Take a potato - cheap, fry it - cheap, add salt - cheap, and sell it for a mark up of about 2000%. Does McDonald's want to help pay for the healthcare fallout from the marketing and bad decisions - of course not that would mess with the whole reason for doing it - excess profit. Look, I'm having fun eating at McDonald's and now I'm having fun with my diabetes and dialysis. I used to kid myself that I liked it - it made me feel bad when I ate (consumed) it - I don't anymore - same with cigarettes and TV.

Does anyone think that the executives at McDonald's eat that stuff? My guess would be they are all organic vegans. Can we put our efforts into creating this instead? The work of a true artist.

• Lake
    hace 7 años

I think anything can be art. I think it is just a matter of preference - everyone likes something different. But I don't think there is any definition or any rules ... It is anything that is created ... anything at all.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

no - war is not art for starters. Some would say it it destructive others would say it is creative, as in it creates a mess. If I could I would censor that. There is no need to censor art as it inspires us to the greatest heights we can achieve. That which masquerades as art is another thing. Just because it evokes strong emotions does not mean it is art. Stepping in cat poop and discovering that it occurred while I'm driving evokes strong emotions.

• PRO
    Terrence Howell Home Staging and Art
    hace 7 años

We artists, were the camera for thousands of years before the camera and computer were invented.

I believe God continues to create artists, because he knows that eventually technology will crash, and we artists will be in demand soon.

(Art is running away from home, without ever leaving)

( Good art won't match your sofa)

Just my 2cents

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

Nicely put with the caveat that god is god, neither he nor she. "won't match your sofa". Wonderfully quotable. Artists are in demand and always will be if they are sincere. Your comment dovetails nicely with the sentiment in "Elephant Bones" by That Handsome Devil.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Well said, Terrence

doc, that's why I cannot be one of those successful business people ..I can't sell something that I don't believe in..Now that paradise image that you posted is something that I would like to see all around

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

Paradise is my goal in life - it is not profitable and would take some time to dump the life long programming of the consumer, "productive" society. Relative to the "successful" people I have a saying, "They are very good at what they do I just do not care for what they do." Successful fracking, war mongering, bullying - enviable in circles of power - a game played by bored people with too much money. they might see being able to do this successfully as an art - it is an art that should be burned or abandoned so that the rest of the world may live in peace. There is another saying - "Karma is only a bitch/bastard if you are one."

Oh yeah!

• printesa
    hace 7 años

Love vertical gardens, gardens of any kind. I even attempted one at home..work in progress, but trying..I've seen some in Paris..really nice ones.
    As for Karma, agree:) I, for one, need to be able to sleep at night

Yard project · Más información

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

Ooooo - you go girl. Yours thumbs are green. I stick to things in the ground mostly - mom earth being full time, me being with endless distractions - but have tried containers some.

Part of karma - you can live your life to where people look out for you or you have to look out for the people you've done things to. And when you get up from that peaceful sleep you find a wonderful surprise someone left for you well just because - its karma - and balancing things can be very fun.

Some people tell me how busy they are - they aren't complaining, they are bragging - well if you think your life is busy you should see my inbox. Hee hee.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

I love gardening,,just don't do it enough because of time constraints..I need to work to pay the bills and kids' school. It is relaxing, so most of the time I don't see it as work, but as therapy

I know those who like to brag:) Many times I try not to say anything and just let them be:)
    Such a cutie there. I am allergic to cats..California did that to me because before Cali, I was fine with the cats..

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 7 años

printesa - finally launched my Kickstarter today. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/168603618/pfast-personal-fully-automated-system-of-transport

Here's a few snap shots. Not what it will end up like - the funding will allow for more design. The idea is it will be on secondary streets and in less used areas so main spaces will be totally people oriented.

And - if you aren't jamming to it already - Soy Yo by Bomba Esterio. Hope all is well. Tomorrow I start to promote the KS in earnest.

• Grace O' Malley
    hace 7 años

A true artist is someone who can elicit an emotion from their audience regardless of their media choice. It's a very subjective thing though.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

dreamdoctor- love the idea! That would be so amazing! I'll share this with my friends.
    Been busy here and living in construction zone (long story of 'proper' house building). Otherwise, we took our kids to their first rock concert (Sabaton with an opening band called Battle Beast -the name sounds rough, but it sounded like a rock version of 80s music:))

All the best with the promotion. I'll do my part:)

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

printesa - I have been working on it for some time. Ironically its major flaw is that it is so efficient - at odds with a consumption based economy - we can either have a healthy environment or a growth economy. I think we and the planet would be better served by a stable, sustainable economy which would include a sustainable transportation system and healthy people. I really dislike driving (machine tending I call it) or flying - including a pic of my son on the way back from Spain last summer - picture worth a thousand words and all. I say ATS or TSA? Well you won't be able to use the ATS for international but i'd rather take it to Cali than a plane and it would be less money and fuel.
    Why can't they design better seats?

First rock concert eh? They say if the music is too loud you are too old - good music is not measured in volume. any more the venue are so loud the music is distorted to the point the band could not be considered true artists - it is just noise you pay a lot to hear. Hope your experience wasn't like that. My first concert was the best I ever attended - the last tour of Peter Gabriel with Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - you could tell by the lighting and warm up you were going to experience true art. I highly recommend that (double) album.

Any help on promotion is appreciated - it is so time for this.

Take care, hope to run into you in the future - best wishes on your building project.

• printesa
    hace 6 años

That photo says it all:) We had to go to France this Spring for work...I can never sleep since it's so uncomfortable and there is no much space to stretch..There used to be more space, but they wanted to fit more seats, so they squeezed everything to achieve that..We are pretty much like sardines in a can:(

The concert was ok (we used earplugs so their hearing doesn't get damaged. The venue was not that great, but we knew that so, yes, the overall sound was not as great as it could have been The experience was fun. It was a lot more fun than the noise I get now from removing windows and having all the stucco taken down (I think the number of decibels is larger here then it was at the concert..and its not even music.)

Good luck! Let's hope that the project will be picked up and someone will make the right decisions

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

Check out St Vincent - "Save me from what I want." and "So Ma Guisee" by Mo' Horizons and "In the Rain" by The All Good Funk Alliance. "Meticulous Bird of Prey" by Thao and the Get Down Stay Down. I went to see Nora Jones last year - almost walked out. The auditorium is designed to the point you could speak loudly on stage and be heard in the whole place but that didn't stop them from turning it up til it sounded bad! A true artist would say - "I want the music to sound - good keep it down to that level - I don't care what everyone else is doing". to have to wear ear plugs is bizarre - it would be like having to wear sunglasses at night because the oncoming car's headlights are so bright - oh yeah, you do. Kind of defeats the purpose.

If the photo of my son went viral the seats would be redesigned - I would hope. Takes a day to recover from the flight. I wrote them and suggested a design competition - I guess if you have a captive audience why bother right?

Latest render of the triarm - hope to build it this year. But if wishes were horses...

Going to be a heck of a heck of an open house party - I'll drop you a note. Build the natural pool/pond first for working on hot days.

• printesa
    hace 6 años

That is a beautiful house! As for natural pools, really love them. I thought about getting one, which would have meant using probably half the yard...We do have deer and turtles and other creatures in the area (there is a small forest behind the back yard), so we had to rethink it (too much work as well)

Thanks for the music suggestions. Regarding the earplugs, in a small venue, the base is problematic and of course, the drums. We finished the basement (well,,almost there) and have a soundproof room. I don't want to hear the drums when I'm upstairs:)

Speaking of seats, Delta was saying that they are planning to install the non-painful economy seats. I think they said it will be finished by 2020..we shall see

Off to some gardening since we finally see the sun

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

To get a little crazy - that is affordable housing and high-performance! We're shooting for $60/SF in the Midwest for the main structure - the arms, decks/ pool etc are on top of that. One of the reasons I want to build it is to document the cost and process so it can be sold as a "DIY". Location makes a big difference in cost not only relative to cost of living but also accessing the material and having people know what to do with them.

Sound proof is a tall order especially with low frequencies. There are people that live in flight paths that have completely acoustically broken rooms to sleep in - $$$. Usually suspended and supported with dampened springs. I have been known to be awakened by the sound of my cat walking across the carpet at 2AM. Sure don't appreciate the "riding clubs" (Harley's) that go by my house at 8AM on Sundays.

New seats - when I see it I'll believe it - what gets me is I could make improvements to their current "design" in about ten minutes that would not cost much of anything - how about starting by not having a bump at the back of my head that makes it impossible to sit up right? Take that bump, split it in the middle put it on hinges so I can nestle my head between them and have it support my head while I sleep in a natural position? For starters. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Sure would be nice to have clean water to swim in - I live in Iowa where industrial agriculture and politics are more important than clean water. The mindset is embarrassing.

Garden when you can - we're in the middle of a cold spell here - it does keep things from bolting though.

• Joy
    hace 6 años
    Read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. A different idea on what denotes an artist.
  • PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

Joy - serious as a heart attack I'm about a quarter of the way through it again right now - my third time. Just finished Rearden's anniversary party. It was Rand's Romantic Manifesto that formed/galvanized many of my thoughts on art while Atlas Shrugged has more to do with what constitutes integrity - similar to The Fountainhead.

• printesa
    hace 6 años

dreamdoctor- at the cost, we could call it affordable art:)

Speaking of clean water..I think the same problem is everywhere..In DE we have the chemical plants that used to dump things at night..how fun..In California, they have lots of farming as well and the amount of chemicals they dump there to grow the lettuce is unbelievable (I've seen a documentary about that..so ironic to see the state that wants to be the 'greenest' to use loads of chemicals)

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

Here they see clean water as a threat to the efficiency of industrial farming. Hemp is a very clean crop - takes little chemical or mechanical input - it is illegal to grow commercially but grows wild on every fence row. We could be growing black walnuts (and black currants among other things) - a super food - in buffer strips - for the walnut ""meat" and the lumber later but fighting the status quo is all uphill - very wealthy backers of pollution. The products from walnuts or hemp are far healthier than the meat raised with the grain or using the topsoil to grow corn for ethanol - something the ATS would make passe'. It is not about what is best or healthiest it is about what is easiest and most profitable.

Like the St Vincent song says "Save me from what I want."

Methinks the system is out of control - it is devolving - evolving has to do with having a better chance if survival - how do you get that trashing the environment you live in to produce products that make you unhealthy?

ATS - one big thread to pull to start to unravel the tangle.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.