Houzz Logo Print
maguire635

Front garden dilemma

Kristin Crouch
hace 7 años
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some ideas on the front garden. I'm keen to have less maintenance as we no longer have the time to look after it. I like the idea of a Mediterranean garden ( reminds me of back home) with succulents and perennials that don't require much maintenance however the garden is sloped and one gardener said that pebbles will end up on the pavement ... Any ideas or advice are welcome. Thanks!

Comentarios (10)

• katty smith
    hace 7 años

I like the garden just that it needs a bit design

• Kristin Crouch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you for the advice
  • katty smith
    hace 7 años

you are the most welcome

• mayfly182
    hace 7 años

I hope you keep that Agapanthus!

You'll need quite a lot of largish rocks to stop the pebbles sliding down the garden and leaving the top bare, plus a piece of treated wood or something at the bottom to stop them escaping onto the path. It can be done though.

• Kristin Crouch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks everyone, my comments don't seem to post when I use the iPhone . Yes that's my intention to keep agapanthus. It's a favourite of mine. I'm waiting to see what the landscapers come up with.
  • Kristin Crouch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Love the rustic idea but not sure if those types of succulents grow in the Uk?!
  • p_e_morgan
    hace 7 años

I think a Mediterranean garden would look fine here. You could always keep any more delicate plants in pots and wrap them in winter. I would go for some large pebbly gravel interspersed with some larger rocks, surrounding your plants. As you have a lovely agapanthus, and they seem to prefer warmer climes, it bodes well for the suitability of your garden for succulents. You could also paint the fence.

• PRO
    The Japanese Garden
    hace 7 años

Your garden has many possibilities. The most important thing to create a Mediterranean garden is to create order. Remember, always "less is more". I think you make a mix with plants appropriate to your region and the Mediterranean concept is the most successful. Succulent plants normally do not like the cold and heavy clay soil. We work a lot in the Mediterranean area and there are plants for each space. You must think about the benefits of the garden and no complications that you may bring in the future. With few elements it is easier to maintain and will always be beautiful. The photo below is of a garden we did in Malaga - Spain.

• Kristin Crouch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you P_e Morgan and Japanese garden for the advice. The garden is south facing and sloppy so no drainage issues.. Even my favourite Bougainville is growing really well outdoors this summer , see pic attached . Sempervivum looks good have it in the back garden and euphorbias but can't seem to find aloe Americana and not sure if it's hardy ? The olive tree and agapanthus is a defo in the front garden , perhaps a prickly pear as I've read it can be grown in the uk ( as long as my 2 year old doesn't go near it lol) A path up to the top and around up to the gate as well as we need to use it. Al
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.