mudbone1

Bathroom remodel or not...

Mo
21 de Agosto de 2016
Looking for some ideas on a two bathroom remodel. Or whether I should bother at all. Here are the details:

Master is 4' x 8'
Spare is 5' x 8'
They share a wall and are mirror images of each other (except master has shower only). See attached layout and pics.

My main goal is to make the master bigger. The ONLY way to gain more sqft is to bump out into a hallway on the other side of the spare bathroom. (See attached image of one redesign option).(Master bath is locked on all side except for moving the spare out). This would require extensive work, moving walls, breaking concrete and rearranging all plumbing.

I've gotten several quotes from contractors and they are all around the same ball park: 35-45k. I have the money, but not much left after.

This is a 500k home I plan to sell within 5 years. Is it even worth doing? Would I recoup the cost selling it in a few years? Would the larger bathroom be more appealing to potential buyers?

All ideas, opinions, comments welcome.

Thank you!

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    Acassa Construction Corporation
    I would not expand into the hallway, as that is not ideal either. I would optimize the use of mirrors to make the spaces appear bigger. You should also think about using floating vanities, frameless shower doors, and lighter colors for your finishes. If you have drop ceilings or soffits, lose them. Incorporate recessed lighting as well. Attached are some ideas.
  • Architectural Notice

I agree with the above comment (you should not bump out into the hallway).

$35-45K is a lot of money.

The bathrooms in their current state are not that bad.

Is it possible to do a cosmetic update for much less than $35-45K (paint, change out light fixtures, mirrors, wall art, towels, etc.)?

I just read in the Houzz "before and after" section where someone did a nice update on a bathroom for only $1,000 and it looks much nicer.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Doesn't make sense to expand into hallway. Upgrade selections and finishes to make the baths look as large as possible.

Use a banjo top to visually extend the size of the room and extend the mirror completely across to the other side.

Your master bath can be very spa like with just one sink.

• Mo
    Thank you for the replies. I had considered the banjo ideas when I first thought of remodeling. I even have those exact same images saved on my phone.

Side note: expanding into the hallway wouldn't make the hallway any more narrow. There is cabinets along the wall in the hallway, so I would just remove the cabinets and expand the wall the same depth (which is about 2ft). So, 2ft in depth by 8ft in length comes to 16 sqft. For 35-45k, doesn't sound too reasonable, huh?
  • Kris Mays

That price is fairly normal for a full bathroom gut that includes slab foundation work and nice finishes, IMO. However, I don't think the gain of 16 sq. ft. is worth it when your bathrooms are already in nice shape. Unless you can find a way to make your MB much larger, I wouldn't bother. In this particular case, no, I don't think you'll recoup that money.

• Amyzing

I agree with Architectural Novice - a cosmetic update would be better. And look at the $1000 bathroom update - it was an amazing transformation!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Al continuar en este sitio o utilizar esta aplicación, acepto que el grupo Houzz pueda utilizar cookies y tecnologías similares para mejorar sus productos y servicios, ofrecerme contenido relevante y personalizar mi experiencia. Saber más.