Houzz Logo Print
steveduncanmusic

Urban growers - anyone know what this could be?

Steve D (IL 5b/6a)
hace 7 años

I'm noticing what looks like small droplets of black oil on leaves throughout my backyard. What could this be from? It is wet to the touch and smears on contact.

On goji leaves:

On serviceberry leaves:

On gooseberry leaves:

On spurge:

Across the back alley there is a church with a large a/c unit on the roof - could it be throwing off oil spray? Once in a while the city sprays for mosquitoes, could that be it? It seems to be everywhere in my yard. Or is there some disease I'm unaware of that attacks all these varieties? My yard is about 30 feet by 30 feet and is in a dense urban area of Chicago.

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    The Logician LLC
    hace 7 años

Are there black spots on any non-plant surface in the yard?

Steve D (IL 5b/6a) agradeció a The Logician LLC
  • Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    hace 7 años

I thought pear slugs at first but seems too round?

Steve D (IL 5b/6a) agradeció a Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
  • Georgia Zone 8a
    hace 7 años

WAG, but do you have a lot of helicopters near you? I once lived next to a hospital that was constantly medevac-ing people and when the wind blew just right, it left behind a black, sooty dust that was difficult to wipe off.

Steve D (IL 5b/6a) agradeció a Georgia Zone 8a
  • PRO
    Borealis Landscape & Design DBA Skipley Farm
    hace 7 años

It appears like it's just on the upper leaves-like it is from some machinery as you suggest?

Steve D (IL 5b/6a) agradeció a Borealis Landscape & Design DBA Skipley Farm
  • Steve D (IL 5b/6a)
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks so much for the ideas - I didn't think to check non-plant surfaces, but that is a great idea. Also to note if it is only on upper leaves or if it is on all leaves, including covered leaves.

Unfortunately, before I got a chance to do either, we had a good hard rain. So now I have a clean slate at least, and can monitor when/if/how the substance returns...

No helicopters nearby - I can't think of other non-biological possibilities than city mosquito spray, church roof a/c, or neighbor with a pressure washer.

When things dry out, I might put out a few sheets of white paper in various locations and see if any collects on those, and if in any differing amounts to maybe get an idea of directionality. Thanks again...

• Tim Walker
    hace 7 años

Sounds like a good plan. Check both sides of your fencing too. Report back if you figure it out.

• eloise_ca
    hace 7 años

I'm with fruitnut. Could it have been a swarm of flies? I see similar spots when there's a lot of flies around here so the traps go up.

• Steve D (IL 5b/6a)
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Oh my gosh - there have been a lot of flies around here. It has been hot, and plenty of garbage in the alley dumpster. I just looked up a video of a fly pooping and that could totally be it.

So gross! But the simplest explanation yet...

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.