Houzz Logo Print
alexa5013

Need help redecorating master bedroom

alexa5013
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

This is the master bedroom in our Victorian terrace. Excuse mess - builders have been through the house patching all our cracks. It's time for the yellow to go. I'd like to do white walls like the rest of the house but a deep blue feature wall over the fireplace to balance the abstract painting which I'm thinking of moving to opposite wall above the bed (bed can't be moved, it's too big to go anywhere else). Plus curtains to soften all the hard surfaces. Not sure what colour to go with to tie in with new blue/white colour scheme I'm thinking of. Midnight blue would be too dark, I think? White? A grey silver colour? I'm thinking of using silver as an accent elsewhere, say bed linen. Or another colour to tie in with the artwork? Help please! I've tried uploading pics but can't see if they've been attached before posting. Apologies if there are none or multiples. Sorry - need help uploading the pics. I am following the instructions but nothing is happening. Thanks

master bedroom · Más información

Comentarios (34)

• PRO
    My Beautiful Abode
    hace 7 años
    Unfortunately your photos have not uploaded, so I can't get a sense of scale. Having said that, I love the idea of the blue near the fireplace. I think lighter will be better on the curtains and blue again for the bedding.
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

If you can tell me how to upload my pics that would be great - I went to the photo link, selected my files and clicked open and then nothing happened. Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

• Vy
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

press on write a comment a box should appear with the camera icon bottom left under comment box ..

click on that then choose library or take a photo ..then choose a photo..

sometimes the little bubble doesn't appear so try again..

if you see a little bubble in your comment then it takes awhile for the photo to appear..

I'm using an iPhone that's what I see

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks Vy I did all that but the little bubble never appeared. I tried at least 5 times and have tried again now. I click on the camera icon, go to my pictures library with the "upload a file" label appearing at the top of the window, click on a photo of the bedroom, I've then tried clicking on both "select" or "open" as options. And still nothing is happening. How do I get that bubble to appear? It shouldn't be this hard surely.

• Vy
    hace 7 años

• Vy
    hace 7 años

• Vy
    hace 7 años

are you using PC? or phone?

I haven't tried with the PC as I use my phone so not sure..

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I'm using a windows pc - and the image you posted isn't what appears below the comment box. I get bold, italics, ordered and unordered list options before the photo icon. Hmm maybe I should try doing it on my phone! Thanks for the advice much appreciated.

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hooray I managed to upload them to an ideas book via my phone.

Thank you so much Vy! But still crazy I couldn't do it on my computer. Oh well. It's done now. And to repeat my design request:

This is the master bedroom in our Victorian terrace. Excuse mess - builders have been through the house patching all our cracks. It's time for the yellow to go. I'd like to do white walls like the rest of the house but a deep blue feature wall over the fireplace to balance the abstract painting which I'm thinking of moving to opposite wall above the bed (bed can't be moved, it's too big to go anywhere else - do I make a feature wall of the recessed arch part of the wall behind the bed or would that be too much as well as opposite with the fireplace?). Plus curtains to soften all the hard surfaces. Not sure what colour to go with to tie in with new blue/white colour scheme I'm thinking of. Midnight blue would be too dark, I think? White? A grey silver colour? I'm thinking of using silver as an accent elsewhere, say bed linen. Or another colour to tie in with the artwork? Help please - thank you!

• Vy
    hace 7 años

instead of a feature colour can you add mouldings to one wall to make feature of it ie. fire place ? example only ?

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks Vy I have a mirror to go above the fireplace with white moulded mdf frame I was thinking would do the same job. The shape is similar to the pic of the moulding you posted. Thanks again!

• Vy
    hace 7 años

alexa5013 agradeció a Vy
  • Vy
    hace 7 años

alexa5013 agradeció a Vy
  • Vy
    hace 7 años

alexa5013 agradeció a Vy
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi Vy thanks for all these, exactly what was in my head. Although I notice the blue curtains in the pics are always next to a blue wall which won't be the case in my bedroom, unless I paint the wardrobes blue as well. Which would be practical - they'd get less dirty than white cupboards I suppose. Just hadn't thought about going for the much blue. I think I need something to break up the space, it's a huge room to go all white. Would blue curtains look too dark against a white wall? The drop is 3m I have high ceilings. Thanks again!

• Vy
    hace 7 años

this is one with blue drapes ..

alexa5013 agradeció a Vy
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The dark floorboards help anchor the dark curtain colour. Mine are a honey gold colour - kauri pine I think. But still a possibility, thanks again for your help!

• Vy
    hace 7 años

let see if I can find any of a lighter colour for you to have a look

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I don't but now I'm thinking about the existing furniture... oh dear this project just got a whole lot bigger! Maybe just a deep navy quilt cover on the bed would do it. thanks so much yet again you've been a goldmine of information

• Vy
    hace 7 años

alexa5013..you're welcomed :)

• Ann B
    hace 7 años
    Great advice, Vy. Can't wait to see what you do with your bedroom, Alexa! Keep us posted, pls. :)
    alexa5013 agradeció a Ann B
  • Vy
    hace 7 años

Ann..thanks ) I'm only good with colours..:) not much good at anything else so happy to help when I can..

alexa5013 agradeció a Vy
  • Luke Buckle
    hace 7 años

Hi,

Sorry that you had such trouble uploading your photos. If you don't mind, I will contact you privately to see if we can get to the bottom of that. Meanwhile, I have added one of your photos to the question to make it clearer for others.

alexa5013 agradeció a Luke Buckle
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

It was really odd - I could only end up attaching the pics via my phone. Thanks for the addition of the pic - they are now buried in this thread! Feel free to contact me to iron out this wrinkle

hace 7 años
    Boy, I wish I had a bedroom with bones like that! So much scope to decorate - have fun.
    alexa5013 agradeció a 94236633
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

It's a grand old Victorian terrace we're very lucky to have it, I just wish the bones didn't crack so much

hace 7 años
    Ha ha.....love it!
  • PRO
    DEIA Living Australia
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Sounds like you´ve got a great idea with the deep blue and grey tones! If you´re looking for bed linen to match checkout our FORMENTERA collection in Navy or Ash. These could work really well to finish off the look of your master with some big deep blue shams...that is, if you´re still working on the project!

Happy decorating!!!

FORMENTERA Collection in 280 thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sateen in Ash · Más información

FORMENTERA Collection in 280 thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sateen in Navy · Más información

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks everyone who offered advice. I've attached 2 pics of the almost finished project. Can't show the bed as the picture isn't up yet - my partner went to clean some mildew off the ceiling, didn't secure the A frame ladder and only wearing thongs almost severed his big toe when it collapsed underneath him. So a warning to all! Please don't get up ladders that have not been locked or wear unsafe footwear. The mirror and rug were from Gumtree and I made the curtains myself (thank you Spotlight for a sale on curtain fabric). We're very happy with the results (apart from the hospital visit involved). Statement light fitting also needed at some point.

• annb1997
    hace 7 años

Oh wow, Alexa, your room looks wonderful! I'm so sorry about your partner's injury. My dad once placed a ladder on top of a pool table in order to install roof vents in the attic...the ladder tipped and he hit the floor, narrowly missing a length of metal pipe that protruded straight out of the floor. Fortunately he only broke his wrist. Anyway...Your drapes look beautiful, as does the paint job. Did you recover the cushions too? That mirror is perfect and I like how you styled the room. Please upload photo of painting over bed at some point! Cheers!

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks annb! Very happy with it, but still no picture up as yet - wrist damage my partner sustained in the fall has meant no heavy lifting for a while. Found a fantastic Italian light fitting on Gumtree but can't get an electrician before late January!

• C P
    hace 7 años
    It looks great
    alexa5013 agradeció a C P
  • Vy
    hace 7 años

wow you've done great alexa5013 ..turned out a treat :)

alexa5013 agradeció a Vy
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.