Houzz Logo Print
mammienyc

Need Help with Exterior Paint Technique

mammienyc
hace 7 años

We just bought this classic center hall colonial and want to paint the cedar shingles white and then do a white wash on the brick. Currently, we don't love the look of this brick. I think it's maybe the color of the grout that's bothering us. I've always loved the look of partially painted brick as long as it's done right. What is the best technique to acquire an authentic aged look of painted brick?

Comentarios (4)

• torreykm
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Your house is beautiful and I think would be lovely with a worn, painted brick. There are probably a number of different methods. Here are a couple of examples using a limewash:

http://www.southernliving.com/home-garden/decorating/peter-block-makeover/limewash-peter-block

http://atlantahomesmag.com/article/anything-but-ordinary

mammienyc agradeció a torreykm
  • PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    hace 7 años

Just remember it will be very expensive to go back to the original brick, which to me, looks just fine.

• sambah006
    hace 7 años

Agreed. Don't turn a virtually maintenance free surface into a maintenance full surface.

However, a true whitewash would probably eventually wash off from the rain. Whatever you do, don't put an acrylic paint on it....

• PRO
    Pound Ridge Painting Co.
    hace 7 años

We have done many of what we call a distressed white wash look on brick. Start by painting the brick the base color (white). With steel wool and a chemical stripper (Rock Miracle) remove what would weather normally. Concentrate on the outer flat surface of the brick and leave the mortar untouched. It is a technique that definitely requires an artistic eye. Good luck!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.