Houzz Logo Print
nipa_parekh

My Husband & I can't agree on tile/hardwood - help!

N P
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

Hi - attached is the layout of our first floor, we are doing new construction.

We need to decide if the areas I colored in will be tile, hardwood or a combo of both.

We have 2 kids 2 and under so we both want tile in the kitchen vs. hardwood as the hardwood will show wear & tear quicker and the kids are always spilling something! To make it flow better I want to keep the entire area I colored in tile. My husband prefers we keep the foyer hardwood and just tile the kitchen/mudroom.

Thoughts and opinions please!! I know doing all hardwood in the kitchen will give a better flow to the family room but I really do like tile better. We haven't picked anything out yet so wanted to get some professional opinions on this!

Thanks!

Comentarios (30)

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

Since the foyer is very open to both the living room and dining room, I think I vote for wood. It will feel much more grand and less cut up.

N P agradeció a auntthelma
  • Jennifer Havin
    hace 7 años
    all wood
    N P agradeció a Jennifer Havin
  • jade713
    hace 7 años
    go with the wood
    N P agradeció a jade713
  • Susan Mooney
    hace 7 años

I have to agree with all wood.

N P agradeció a Susan Mooney
  • N P
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you! We live in the north and if we go with tile, are planning to do the radiant heat under it. We are both concerned about hardwood in the kitchen given the young kids - appreciate all the feedback/input

• User
    hace 7 años

As a mother of four children, I would say go for tiles. They are much more hard wearing and virtually indestructible. If you go for timber you are forever worrying about damage, spills, scratches, etc and children being children, things happen whether they mean it or not. There are some fabulous floor tiles these days and they can be laid in interesting patterns not just the standard ways. Using rugs can also add interest and colour to a tiled floor. An easy to maintain, worry free floor is the best thing for mothers as we already have enough to worry about.

N P agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Bisbee's Flooring Center
    hace 7 años

In reviewing your floor plan, I would suggest hardwood through out the kitchen, family room, and foyer as you will avoid transition to other floors (not only at the family room where it meets the kitchen but the living and dining room as well). There are many hardwoods in todays market that offer the handscraped or handsculpted look and the finishes are durable but you may want to look at some of the harder and stronger American hardwoods, such as hickory which will perform well for your family. Please note: hardwood is not recommended in bathrooms and/or laundry rooms and from the diagram I could not tell if the washer n dryer would be in your mudroom. If so, I would suggest tile in the mudroom and the bathroom.

Remember Spills happen with any type of flooring and based on the selection you make it will determine how you will approach the care and maintenance of that flooring.

N P agradeció a Bisbee's Flooring Center
  • leelee
    hace 7 años

Have you looked at the new porcelain wood tiles? The look fabulous so you and hubs could have a win/win.

You could also use radiant heat throughout with porcelain wood-look tile. Here are some examples.

N P agradeció a leelee
  • leelee
    hace 7 años

Your home will have better flow if you use the same flooring throughout.

N P agradeció a leelee
  • Nancy Walton
    hace 7 años

I was just going to suggest the tile that looks like wood!

• PRO
    ECS Homes
    hace 7 años
    I feel that the way you have it marked out is best. If you don't tile the foyer, it'll make for too many transitions from tile to wood. It'll also make the kitchen feel smaller.
    N P agradeció a ECS Homes
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

i like tile in a foyer, it puts guests immediately at their ease as they dont have to worry about drippy shoes.

N P agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • acm
    hace 7 años

no wood-look tiles next to actual wood -- even the best tiles will lose by contrast with the real thing.

color me as a vote for tile in the kitchen and wood elsewhere for continuity. but if you come in mainly through the front entry (as opposed to by the kitchen), then tile there might be merited by the wet shoes issue. I have just a tiny entry, and when we put new wood on the first floor, I had them change the zone closest to the door to tile -- no more mats for shoes and umbrellas! no more rags for inevitable puddles!

anyway, yes to tile in the kitchen, but I can't see an argument for the foyer based on continuity -- look at the two dotted lines that will require transitions! functionality, sure, that's a different beast...

N P agradeció a acm
  • jade713
    hace 7 años
    I think wood because it's so beautiful and there are very durable hard wood floors out there that would serve just as good as tile.
  • Nancy Walton
    hace 7 años

I think the suggestion for tile that looks like wood was meant to do the entire space in that kind of tile, instead of tile and wood.

• janecalle
    hace 7 años

If there is no hardwood abutting shaded in spaces, then agree with GOOD QUALITY wood look porcelain. I say good quality because there is a difference in look, ease of installation, etc. We just did exactly what you are thinking about (with high quality wood look porcelain) and LOVE it! Very low maintenance and amazed at how many people are fooled.

• Steve Grimes
    hace 7 años

I wouldn't put real wood in the high traffic areas. Typical 3/4" pre-finished wood flooring is not very hard (~1,400 jenka) and looks worn after a few years of traffic. Our side entry and kitchen look terrible after four years of high heels and kids.

There are durable, realistic ceramics that look like wood flooring as well as very high durability wood flooring (> 5,000 jenka) sold specifically for homes with heels, kids, and dogs.

• Jan
    hace 7 años
    If it was me, I would do wood in front rooms including foyer, dining, living and guest room. Back of the house in tile. But think long and hard...tile is rough on feet and back also for the babies. And when something breaks it tends to disintegrate. Your kids will grow up.
  • 3babyblues
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

We have hardwood all downstairs currently and our kids have destroyed it in the kitchen. Any bit of water damages it. I said never again! We are considering luxury vinyl flooring that looks like wood when we build our house. Or tile in the kitchen and hardwood elsewhere.

• partim
    hace 7 años

When we had the same decision to make, we chose tile. We also used it in the hallways and in our combined kitchen/family room. Only the dining room and living room on the main floor are not tile. I love the tiled family room too - no fussing about spills or dents. A good-size rug makes it comfortable for sitting on the floor, but is easily replaced.

It was a great decision for us, and even now that the children are grown we like tramping in and out of the house without fussing about shoes etc. when gardening or when it is snowing. In my view, the house serves me and although aesthetics are important, I'm not willing to fuss. We chose a practical, medium colored tile, and we still like it almost 20 years later.

• User
    hace 7 años

If you have radiant floor heating under the tile it's not as hard on your feet (in the winter anyway). I say go for tile in the kitchen. It's a lot harder to wreck and easy to clean. I have kids too and wouldn't want to be stressing about them wrecking the floor all the time. I know they grow up but that would be a few hardwood refinishing jobs before they do. Just make sure you have good quality tile installed/sealed properly.

• D DN
    hace 7 años
    In my opinion, the foyer should be hardwood. The wood will be consistent throughout the front of the house. I would use tile only in the kitchen and the mudroom--the hardworking rooms of the house. You will use your foyer very little--only for guests--assuming you have a garage entrance. I think using tile in the foyer cuts the house in half.
  • rlaufen
    hace 7 años
    I think your dining room should be wood as well as the rest.
  • Jennifer Havin
    hace 7 años
    this decision is more personal too. do you make everyone take shoes off? ewww I do, do you know what's on the bottom of your shoes YUCK
    are you fast to clean up, or don't mind spills etc.
    I think either way you'll be happy with a hard surface, but aesthetically a continous surface looks better
  • Renee Texas
    hace 7 años

Wood tile or Vinyl Planking (as a mother of 4 6 and under...I get it!) :)I couldn't fathom wood in my kitchen either, but breaking it up between tile and wood would not look right- for me or your home plan, I think.

• Geneviève
    hace 7 años

For the foyer I vote tiles or any other material that wont absorb water and get damaged by it , they are easier to clean when dirt ,mud , and who knows what else is brought in with shoes , a large rug to collect the most is necessary , something washable if possible or at least easy to hose down , with little kids luxury needs to be on hold for a few years:) For the kitchen tiles and bathrooms too. the rest wood.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 7 años

I would put the tile in the shaded areas and a solid hardwood (site finished) in the other areas of the home (non-shaded areas). Once the kids are old enough (about 12-15 years from now) you can REMOVE the tile, add in the identical hardwood into the foyer (kitchen as well if you like...you will decide that in 15 years) and then have all the floors sanded and refinished. They will look like they have always been there.

Tile and hardwood have co-existed for hundreds of years. This will work for as long as you like the tile. Once you are bored with it and are ready for a change you simply install the identical wood (this is why you work with solid hardwood in the first place) in the tiled areas. Simple.

I like the tile in your shaded areas for now. Once the kids are past their most destructive age, I would then remove the tile from foyer and and add wood.

• Dale Hadley
    hace 7 años

I would do hardwood everywhere except kitchen and mudroom, there i would tile.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.