Houzz Logo Print
cmjanderson

Should it stay or should it go?

cmjanderson
hace 7 años
Mid-century home being remodeled. Can't decide weather to keep the kitchen counter/island or remove. Pro's to remove: opens up the space between kitchen and dining room, counter top is low and can put a new island/countertop to fit our needs. Con's to remove: it's part of original architecture, won't cost much to restore. What would you do?

Comentarios (25)

• PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    hace 7 años

I would let it go. It blocks the fabulous beams from either direction and really does close down the open feel of the room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 7 años

OUT!!!!

• Architectural Notice
    hace 7 años

I would remove it also. It appears outdated.

• leelee
    hace 7 años

Take it down.

• teamaltese
    hace 7 años
    Are you remodeling, or doing a historic restoration? You need to live in your home, and fashion it so it works for you. I suggest you take lots of photos of the original features, and save them for the next owner, who may want to restore. Then, take it down.
  • bargainhunter
    hace 7 años
    I would remove it
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Remove it

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

GONE!

• User
    hace 7 años

It needs to go...

• Kathleen Vickers
    hace 7 años

The partitioning of space is a nice mid-century touch in your kitchen. Could you not modify the peninsula (also a mid-century element) to achieve more openness? [https://www.houzz.com/photos/ploughed-paddock-midcentury-kitchen-phvw-vp~38363178[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/ploughed-paddock-midcentury-kitchen-phvw-vp~38363178)

• PRO
    KHB Interiors
    hace 7 años
    Hello

If you don't need the space I would remove it.

The space it will give you and the open feeling will be well worth it.

Best of luck !

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!

https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
  • Bev
    hace 7 años

I would remove the upper portion but leave the bottom portion and use it like a regular kitchen cabinet! It's a great place to put food or plates when eating in the dining room.

• sandradclark
    hace 7 años

One thing that is acceptable in living in a MCM home is updating the kitchen & baths so they better fit our lives they way we live them now. Patricia Colwell has shown an excellent example of updating but still keeping the vibe of the 50's style.

• PRO
    Carlisle Design, LLC
    hace 7 años

It should go. In theory it's great, but better ways to give a nod to the architectural style.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 7 años

Keep it. Every house needs something where the guests can ask, "What the hell is that?"

• Jennifer Havin
    hace 7 años
    Can you take doors off both sides and save for later? when you have the doors open in that photo you can get a little more open feel. I like it and think you could work around it. everyone's got an open concept now
  • lefty47
    hace 7 años

HI -- It could and should go . Your not doing an historical restoration and it isn't very attractive and not worth saving . You have to live for today and have kitchens and bathrooms for your time . As long as the house mostly retains it's character of the time then it's fine .

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

I'd let it go.

• PRO
    Maison Maya
    hace 7 años

Let it go!

• Maureen
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Now is the time, as it will allow you to design the kitchen based on your needs and what is more aesthetically pleasing. If you change your mind down the road - which you probably will when you see your brand new kitchen and the contrast, then you have to deal with the floor. Create a space that takes advantage of its maximum usage and you can still keep a MCM look.

• cmjanderson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you everyone for your advice/. We've 'let it go'.
  • Snaggy
    hace 7 años

Looks brighter already !

• Maureen
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Wow..what a positive difference. What are you plans for the base/counter?

• coffee75
    hace 2 años

Our son has moved into 2 houses with this feature and those "head bumpers" are the first thing to go! It really opens up the space.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.