Houzz Logo Print
clairemdew

Clothes storage for tiny bedroom

clairemdew
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

Our master bedroom is tiny- 200cm wide by 370cm deep with a window to one side of the back wall.
We currently have a bed - http://www.getlaidbeds.co.uk/wooden-beds/low-beds/floating-platform-wooden-bed-frame in chocolate - 2 vintage filing cabinets as bedside tables and a G Plan chest of drawers in the room. Our wardrobe and the rest of our clothes are in the spare room.
We are expecting a baby and need to make space in the spare room (hence all the cushions and duvet on the floor - please excuse!).
We need to get hanging space into this room. I will upload some photos of things we are considering; my question is, what would look best and in what location i.e. on the wall where the chest of drawers is (we have space to the right of it and the chest of drawers can move to the left a little more) or behind the door (we would still like to be able to open the door to make the room look bigger so we have about 60cm to play with there).
We would like to keep the chest of drawers although could replace it with a taller unit in a similar style. We have very high ceilings so could go up.

Comentarios (25)

• clairemdew
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

These shelves and pipes can be cut to size so I was considering a long one on top with a shorter one underneath, to allow for longer dresses etc. to hang.

Also really like this item on ebay:

• Angie
    hace 7 años
    Would it be possible to have the door open out onto the landing? Or have a bifold door perhaps?
    IKEA have some very tall wardrobes in their Pax range, both 60cm deep and 35cm. We've just put some of the shallower ones into our spare room and they are great. You can make the interior pretty much bespoke to what you want from their range of fittings, and if you use mirror doors it makes the room appear larger. You could maybe fit one next to the door, or where the chest of drawers is standing, depending on the space available of course. They come in 50,75&100cm widths.
    As you have high ceilings it makes sense to use the height. You could put some shelves very high above the bed.
    Have fun planning.
    Angie
  • Laura Thomas
    hace 7 años
    I love the copper pipe ideas you posted. As it is bendable you could take it around the corner to maximum hanging space. Also your ceilings are really high maybe you could have the shelves above the hanging rail extend across above the door.

The tallest IKEA pax frame is 236cm, but your ceilings look much higher than this.
  • Kittihawke
    hace 7 años
    Corner hanging rails on sale in Argos Ireland at the moment, would fit snugly into the corner?
  • Kittihawke
    hace 7 años
    Sorry, like ClaireMDew's rail but with corner dimensions.
  • Siobhan Ousby
    hace 7 años
    You can fit Shelves above door and use pretty boxes to store out of season clothes.
  • PRO
    Casa Colori
    hace 7 años

HI Claire

Have you ever thought about beds with storage place underneath?

From what you are writing I would go for the second photos you posted

Silvia

• Patricia Suarez
    hace 7 años
    Can the door open out into the hallway instead of into the room? Then you could fit a corner wardrobe I think
  • clairemdew
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you for all your ideas so far. Our bed is quite new so we don't want to change it yet but we do have space for storage underneath, we just have things pushed to the back where you can't see them! Other than the spare duvet. What we really need is hanging space now. I will ask my brother, who is a builder, about rehanging the door, but I'm not sure whether it would be a possibility as the hallway is very narrow. It seems that corner storage is the way to go, I have had a quick look for the pipe rails in a corner configuration and haven't found any yet but I will keep looking!

• Laura Thomas
    hace 7 años
    Not as attractive as some of the options, but these could work well for the space if hidden behind doors.

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/wardrobe-lifts/pull-down-wardrobe-rail/48095/5675
  • Luciana
    hace 7 años

Claire, I'd also use the space behind the door and for optimum use I'd try to get a corner wardrobe.

Ikea has some, you can add units to each side and make it larger.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60223074/

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S59128742/#/S59128742

Pull down rails are also a great idea, but they need side support. I have 3 of them, they work great!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WARDROBE-BEDROOM-830-1150-ADJUSTABLE-RETURN/dp/B00JITXBEG/ref=pd_vtph_60_bs_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=6VY94FX0ADPX47QYYAC2

If you prefer a rack system, again try and build a corner one similar to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honey-Can-Do-Corner-Garment-Chrome-Black/dp/B01CFNK6TE/ref=sr_1_23?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1467032313&sr=1-23&keywords=corner+Garment+rack

Ideal for your space would be something like this, if you can get a carpenter to build it for you:

Fitted Corner Wardrobes · Más información

Or this

Sunnyside · Más información

This is quite cool, but probably pricey and unavailable in the UK...

Contemporary Closet · Más información

Congrats on your baby and good luck!

• annarocks123
    hace 7 años
    I'd suggest building something yourself with copper pipes, that way you can get something that will go all the way up to the ceiling. We went down the ikea route and have a wardrobe which had two rails to fit his suits and sorts on the top rails and all of my tops, trousers, etc on the bottom rail. We then have room for a second smaller wardrobe for my full length dresses and anything else. This is an option that could well work for you and as someone else had suggested, have shelves over the door where you can store out of season clothes or bedding or what have you. If you don't like to see the mess, add curtains. The photo isn't that clear, but you can just about see the two layers of clothing, hope it helps.
  • PRO
    Bitsnbats
    hace 7 años

Hello Clairemdew,

I can help design and source the industrial pipe fittings if that is the way you want to go. I can get it to you cut to size with all parts ready for you to self assemble or I could come and assemble it depending on where you are.

Bear in mind that if you do go with the industrial pipe fitting open wardrobe look, it will make your room look smaller and more cluttered. I would seriously look into the Ikea Pax wardrobe with mirror door and then perhaps have a feature of the industrial pipe shelves around the room higher up.

We also make a really nice luggage rack which will be back in stock soon. We could make it a specific length to suit your room dimensions.

www.bitsnbats.com

• clairemdew
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think the pipe fittings and shelves, combined with the chest of drawers, is the way we will go. We had a pax wardrobe in here before and it looked very boxy; we have an open wardrobe currently in the spare room and, although it isn't very attractive or the right configuration for this room, it is less intrusive in terms of space.

Bitsnbats - I have searched extensively online for some sort of pipe fittings in a corner configuration but have been unable to find any. Is this something you could make and, if so, do you have any pictures? Thank you

• PRO
    Bitsnbats
    hace 7 años

If you can email me at laurenpots@rocketmail.com that would be great. Look forward to speaking.

• PRO
    Bitsnbats
    hace 7 años

I can make this this, I don't have any pictures but can explain and help out.

• Peggy H
    hace 7 años
    Have you thought about a pocket door for the bedroom?
  • Susie Hall de Silva
    hace 7 años

Unless you would like all your cotton & wool items to have holes in at some point PLEASE ignore the open rail advice! There is a very good reason apart from a cluttered look for having nice snug closing doors on wardrobes and unless you live in a hermetically sealed environment and never open your windows, open clothes rails are asking for trouble.. you never have clothes moths (or never see them), until one day, you pull a favourite tshirt or cashmere out and see the holes! :-)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hello Clairemdew,

I like the idea of creating clothes storage that doesn't involve a wardrobe....... They are gr8 for small spaces or larger for that matter. You can incorporate lovely boxes and other storage ideas for things you don't want visible...

Shelves round the ceiling area too make use of what is otherwise unused space.. Interesting ways to hang clothing can actually make a space very interesting.. Look at these ideas... Incidentally John Lewis or Peter Jones sell a variety of moth repellents, should this be a necessity.. I also use clear zip lock bags. : ))

• PRO
    The Open Plan - Interior Design
    hace 7 años
    Re-hang the door to open into the corridor or against the radiator wall which will free up the wall space. Or a bi-fold door into hall or onto rad wall. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Feature Radiators
    hace 7 años

I would definitely also go for an ultra skinny radiator. Our Dansk Plan radiators project on 60mm from the wall.

Radiators in Scandinavian themed settings · Más información

• PRO
    Indigo Design
    hace 7 años

hi, have you seen clothing rails that have a handle and you can pull them down when needed and let them up when not needed? I have recently installed two of these in my extremely small bedroom and now have more hanging storage than anyone else in the house! They come in various types; the ones I bought are italian, cost about £60 each and come in right or left handed options, extend from 60 to 75 cm, and can go up as high as you want, leaving plenty of space underneath for a chest of drawers or even a short additional wardrobe. I will see if I can upload a photo. Fantastic solution when you have very little space but tall ceilings.

• tezz4
    hace 5 años

Ikea have a headboard which you can fit behind your own bed and eliminate the bedside units gaining more space for nightstand use and quilt storage underneath. It will give you some more privacy from the window too. Eventually a roman blind would be more appropriate too. The remaining wall at the side of the window can be used for hanging shelving like the ikea kallax. Open the space visually by simply adding a larger mirror to a side wall and hang hats scarves and even coats on pegs along the opposite wall. Use the space above the entryway door for shelving or closed cupboards and fit in a corner wardrobe. If you can remove the door or get it to swing outward.

If you consider changing the bed for an underbed storage one it must have a hydraulic mechanism otherwise it is a nightmare.

But you can find some storage bags or boxes that slide under the existing bed - just measure properly and try to make the best of the space.

Alternatively you could change the bed completely to a high up loft base with a ladder and have ample space beneath it. Check the ikea Stora and others too.

• honeypoppet
    hace 5 años
    Old post.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.