Houzz Logo Print
cwurch

Husband is hanging curtain rod tonight - help with placement please!

cwurch
hace 7 años

Should the rod go halfway between the top of the window and the ceiling or closer to the ceiling? I've read so many different opinions on Houzz that it seems like it may be a different decision in each home.

Do I need to consider the eating area window for placement? I am planning on Roman shades or a tailored valance for that window. The floor is sunken about 8" in the family room.

I will be hanging panels. Thanks for any help!

Comentarios (112)

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean, tlparks? The teal chairs are opposite of the sofa - do you mean the grey chair?

• Tems
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hmm I feel like a commanding officer now "attention chairs!" lol...But I really like my own suggestion. I guess I would wish for a little more looseness between the teal chairs but not sure if it's possible with the sectional piece there. Otherwise it looks very settled and comfortable to me as an arrangement.

• tlparks
    hace 7 años

Haha Sorry about not being real clear. I think it's just a tweak from the most recent setup you posted from my suggestion, except chairs seemed a little too far towards the fireplace. I like er's most recent post, except I would try removing the gray chair and rotate the blue chairs away from each other a bit. They seem a little tightly angled towards each other.

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Are we getting somewhere, er612? :) I'd like to order this lamp and table (for between the teal chairs) - how could I arrange the arch lamp?

• Tems
    hace 7 años

This is very "detail oriented" but in my suggestion I would center the ottoman approximately with the window and then have the sofa and chairs equal distances from it so the whole arrangement in centered in the room. Now it looks like it's slightly too swifted to the right.

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Oh, and back to original question! Are the drapes I have now on the wall the best for this arrangement? Or, should I try the dark teal ones again?

• er612
    hace 7 años

Try your existing lamp before ordering a new one.

You mentioned wanting storage. Have you considered an end table with storage or storage cabinet between the chairs?

• jck910
    hace 7 años

You must be exhausted. I like the lighter teal panels.

cwurch agradeció a jck910
  • cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

A bit more like this?

• tlparks
    hace 7 años

Looking pretty good. Could you rotate the ottoman 90 degrees?

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

It's all good! I'm just so excited to have all of your help today! You know what's the most exciting part? I'm actually able to have options as opposed to my other furniture (could only go one way) and also the fact that my Christmas tree may actually fit in this new space! Yeah!!!

I have looked briefly at storage end tables but haven't found anything yet - any suggestions? I think I will seriously look at the IKEA cabinet that was suggested earlier - I need someplace for books, photo albums, etc.

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

More like this? Don't mind my baby photo bombing!

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I think I'll need to buy a new curtain rod - should it be silver or black?

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Could I put an end table beside the armless chair? Where else could I put a lamp - was thinking three would be good?

• Tems
    hace 7 años

I think this last one is the best so far. Can't think of a much better one with the sectional piece included. How does your family feel? lol

• tlparks
    hace 7 años

Silver rod, ottoman is better direction except usually they are about 18" from sofa, hang drapes so they just touch the floor, and the baby is ADORABLE!!

• Tems
    hace 7 años

I do like this one too, perhaps with the sectional piece attached to the sofa and the plant in another spot so the sofa can be closer to the corner. It's basically the same to the current arrangement just flipped around.

• tlparks
    hace 7 años

Sorry that I am adding some thoughts, but that's just how I help my relatives with decorating. LOL. If it were my room, I probably would try the arc lamp in the right corner, table and lamp between two chairs, and plant elevated on ceramic garden stool in the left corner. But I would get the drapes hung before placing the arc lamp and plant since the drapes will take some of the wall space.

cwurch agradeció a tlparks
  • tlparks
    hace 7 años

Don't get discouraged. It just sometimes takes a little tweaking here and there to get what you like. It's part of the process, and usually enjoyable if you get results you really like.

• Tems
    hace 7 años

I too think the room will be fantastic after all said and done! ;D

cwurch agradeció a Tems
  • er612
    hace 7 años

cwurch agradeció a er612
  • phoebe3
    hace 7 años

I think er612 has it right, except I'd put something a little smaller between the chairs. Really, I'm amazed at how much better the room looks after everyone's input!

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Which green should I use as an accent colour? The lime/chartreuse or a more teal-y green? And yes, I think I'll go with a smaller chrome table for in between the teal chairs - if we have a storage cabinet it will go where the curio cabinet is now.

Now, any suggestions on how to style the mantle? We had a family portrait there before but I'm open to suggestions on how to change it up!

• tlparks
    hace 7 años

I could envision trying Joanna Gaines' magnolia wreath as part of the mantle decoration.

• Karen Ginas
    hace 7 años
    I aM late to the post as usual. Did you try sectional in front of fireplace and sitting area in front of window?
    cwurch agradeció a Karen Ginas
  • hudson1122
    hace 7 años

I really like what you have ended up with....the sofa looks much better away from the window. The only thing I would suggest is extending the curtain rod out another foot or so past the window wedge it would show more of you curtains as an accent. (Btw I loved the ikat material). Right now they look a bit "squished"......

• hudson1122
    hace 7 años

Sorry window "edge"

• cpaul1
    hace 7 años

Well, that's always an easy answer .... hang your curtain rods as high as possible to the ceiling. Buy longer curtains if necessary or add panels to the bottom if necessary. However, the bigger issue in that room is the furniture placement ... it is all wrong. I would flip flop the blue chairs and the black couch .... I would put those two blue chairs in front of the window and that couch along the wall. Then I would move that chair into the center of the room more. Then I would get an actual coffee table in another material (wood or metal) to break up all of the velvet tufted furniture you have going on.

• tlparks
    hace 7 años

Any updates, cwurch?

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions - I appreciate all of your ideas and consider each one.

cpaul1 - I just wanted to mention that the furniture is a woven fabric - no velvet except the drapes that I am considering. Although, I came across panels from Urban Barn that are a linen look in silver that are really beautiful. The ottoman was purchased due to our baby who is starting to crawl - eventually we may change it up but right now want to enjoy all of the new furniture that we chose.

As for the arrangement of the room I'm really going back and forth between having the couch by the window and having it by the rail. It certainly feels better having the couch in front of the window - if it's centered I could have end tables on each side and it feels more balanced. So my question is - does the way that a room feels have any weight into how the room arrangement is set up? Is there ever a time when the "just right" feeling trumps design?

• Tems
    hace 7 años

I think "feels right" and design are practically the same thing! Lol

If you are drawn to putting the sofa under the window then you must put it there, anything else would be madness! Forget what I think.

cwurch agradeció a Tems
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    hace 7 años

The way a room feels holds ALL the weight. If a room does not feel right, you will not be comfortable. Every design "rule" and suggestion is worthless if the room is not comfortable when you're done.

cwurch agradeció a Loribeth Clark
  • sd a
    hace 7 años

For goodness sake get a life! There are far more important things going on in anyone's world than the height of a curtain track. After two weeks/days/hours you won't even notice what height it's at. I came across this by chance but I am leaving by choice....In fact I'm off to the pub, which IS important.

• Susan King
    hace 7 años

Just wanted to say one thing before I read the post above...but now I will state 2 things: To sd a (above) you obviously don't understand this forum, and your comments are rude and spiteful. The other thing is just an FYI: Believe it or not JCPenney online has the widest selection of lengths for thousands of ready made panels.

cwurch agradeció a Susan King
  • berthayoung
    hace 7 años
    I like er612's 'Tuesday' photo, and teal curtains hung halfway to the ceiling; however, you should do what feels right to your family. Whatever you do don't place the sofa or chairs that are near the railing so close that your soon-to-be toddler can climb up and topple over that rail onto the stairs, and don't put deco's there that can be pushed over by the toddler.

You've gotten lots of good advice and know your options. Now sign off, do what feels good, and live with it for a while. You will want to rearrange as your family matures and your interests change.
    cwurch agradeció a berthayoung
  • Annette Jacobs
    hace 7 años

I love the first picture posted. Place the curtain properly to the size window.

Nice place, by the way.

cwurch agradeció a Annette Jacobs
  • Judie Tull
    hace 7 años

er612- can you share which floorplan app/software??? you use to make the floorplans? any other recommended design related programs?

• PRO
    Show to Sell Homes
    hace 7 años

I would hang both window treatments approximately six inches from the ceiling. Hanging high elongated and makes room appear larger by raising the ceiling height

Keep the line even across the wall

cwurch agradeció a Show to Sell Homes
  • bongambost
    hace 7 años

All depends on how much you love your present husband.

• PRO
    Durham Designs & Consulting, LLC
    hace 7 años

Hang the rods as close to the ceiling as possible as this will draw the eye up and make the ceilings look taller, it will eliminate another horizontal line and will also lessen the fact that the room does not have any crown molding.

• blackmoon1
    hace 7 años
    I know I'm adding a comment too late but maybe this will help others. I have sold window treatments for the past 22 years and here is advice I give at work. There are of course rules. If you are not hanging a balance I hang the rod right above the window trim, this avoids the added horizontal line that would happen if you hang it higher and that unsightly gap of wall between the trim and rod. Don't worry about the length of the curtains, if they are too long have them hemmed, or do it yourself, for lighter fabrics it can be done simply with double sided tape. Even if you have to go to a seamstress the minimal cost is worth it. If you are using a valance hang the rod so the valance covers just a few inches of window. This will hide any blinds etc. and not block any light that you would want to come into the room. Many people hang them too low and inadvertently darken the room. I also suggest (when you can) hanging the rod wide enough so the fabric covers wall when the panels are open, again just touching the glass so you let as much light in a possible. This my require you to buy more than two panels per window (for windows wides than 50") but it looks much better. Lastly don't worry about the drop in the room windows do not have to be treated the same. If the height of the rod at two different levels bothers you consider two different window treatments done in the same fabric or coordinating fabrics, i.e. a scarf valance on one window and grommeted panels on the other. Good luck.
    cwurch agradeció a blackmoon1
  • cartra
    hace 7 años

At last...blackmoon1 is correct. Hanging the rod at the ceiling and leaving a wide space between the rod and top of window looks like your curtains are too long and you didn't want to hem them. And, no, it doesn't make the ceiling look taller...just the opposite.

• ineedtowin
    hace 7 años

I would definately move the furniture around....it does not look balanced. I do love the furniture! I was always one to think curtains should be hung closer to the ceiling to make the room look bigger.....BUT after seeing it in a friends house, it looked like they bought the wrong size curtains and didnt want to bother with hemming so they just hung the rod up so that the curtains would fit. It's funny because I have seen a ton of pics on houzz that do just that and I loved it but once seeing it in person? I am so happy I didnt do it for myself.

cwurch agradeció a ineedtowin
  • ineedtowin
    hace 7 años

I also think the curio cabinet needs to be taken out of the room.

• Brenda Sharp
    hace 7 años
    Love your teal chairs! May I ask where you purchased them? Thanks, B. Last configuration looks best. Your house is lovely.
  • ritaberniceponcetta
    hace 7 años

Martha stewart advises well about this...go on you tube and watch her old shows !

• cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Sorry that I'm just getting back to this post - we were on vacation last week (getting a life??) (thanks to susanking1010 for your appropriate post :) ) and am just getting back to this now. Yes, I've received lots of great advice and it seems like there are many ways to try. Once I've made my decision about which panels I like the best I will work with my husband to hang them so they look right. I'll post a pic when I'm done!

brenda616 - I bought the chairs from Wayfair - just search for teal accent chairs and they will come up!

• Aspire1
    hace 7 años

To cwurch- it's now July 24th. I'm brand new to commenting on your forum. I did read everything on this thread from start to finish. Yes, Thank you susanking1010 for your appropriate post. As I read I can see there are a lot of people that were so kind and eager to help. I'm also sure that everyone that read sd a's comment to you would have liked to have said way more but can't. I just wanted to encourage you to go on with posting, there are A LOT more great Houzzers that care, than others that just want to ruin your day. Never let it get you down!! You do have such a lovely home. I would like to see a new update if you will. You've been working your fanny of cwurch, you must be in great shape by now too! lol Thanks for listening everyone of you great Houzzers!

cwurch agradeció a Aspire1
  • cwurch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you Aspire1 for your very thoughtful comment. I agree, there have been some wonderful people helping with my dilemmas (not just for this room but for my dining room as well) and offering excellent advice and thoughts. I have been trying to take the higher road and simply not wasting my time commenting on the negative feedback. Life is full of enough negativity but unfortunately, there are too many people that hide under the guise of anonymity in internet forums - I always wonder what they are like in real life - would they really be so forward and rude if speaking directly to someone? I certainly hope not! Anyway, enough said about that!

As for progress in the room, well, it hasn't come along too much yet! I returned the silver rug that I purchased from Pier1 as it was pulling and shedding too much so I have been back to rug shopping. Through the lack of making a decision, the silver panels are now non-returnable so I will try to work with them. I think they will look good if I purchase a carpet that has a lot of colour and pattern. Artwork is going to be painted in the next week by my sister and I and I've ordered fabric for the kitchen/eating area window treatments and throw pillows. Once that's all up in the room I'll post pictures! Keeping my fingers crossed that it will all come together!!

• Carolina
    hace 7 años
    I actually like the rod halfway between ceiling and window. Ideally it could de a bit wider. I'd go for a silver coloured rod.
    And I like the versatility of this furniture. That, and the fact it gives you enough seating. If you want to change the layout, it's easily done, so I wouldn't stress too much about it now. If it feels right, it's good ;-)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.