Houzz Logo Print
hellotara

Baby boy nursery needs more style. Very small room. Help!

hellotara
hace 7 años
Small room so hard to get a good pic...

Comentarios (36)

• btydrvn
    hace 7 años
    If there is room ...the placement of the crib in the center of the window and the changing cart on the opposite wall right across the room ...would frame and focus the crib as the center of the room...the pics are difficult for sure ..but even if you have to eliminate something this will improve the ambiance of the room..
  • acm
    hace 7 años

Replace the mirror with a fun piece of art, and hang a second piece on the wall with the chair.

Otherwise, make sure that white shelving piece is very firmly bolted to the wall -- your little guy is likely to try to climb it even before he can walk! That just says ladder all over it. You might do better to just hang a couple of single shelves on the wall above the chair for knick knacks and then use this wall for a dresser (changing table if it fit) or a growth chart.

• Kelly
    hace 7 años
    It looks like the shelving unit is only there for decorative pieces. If that's the case, I would eliminate that for the time being. That would open up your options for furniture placement.
  • btydrvn
    hace 7 años
    The obvious next step would be lovely...airy curtains ...at each end of the window in sheer colorful fabric
  • lslav2012
    hace 7 años
    I think there's far too much in this space. I'd also eliminate the shelving completely for now. Then put the small chair and end table in its place. place the crib on the wall to the left of the window, and changing table on the wall with the mirror. Remove the mirror in favor of small art pieces that can be safely hung higher and out of reach.
  • Frankie
    hace 7 años

Think about taking storage vertical. Keep as much as you can off the floor it gives you the feeling of more space. If you remove the shelving unit you could move the changer to that space. It would feel less crowded. If the closet has enough storage I would take it out all together using the crib with a removable changing pad.

With changer and crib facing each other hang shelves on wall opposite mirror high enough to place chair and table under them. Do replace the mirror with some bright baby friendly art, for that matter scatter some around the room. As a safety concern goes I would remove the blinds completely. Replace them with room darkening curtains in colorful fabric . Match the bedding to that.

• felizlady
    hace 7 años
    You don't need a lot of furniture and the room is small. The crib, a dresser with drawers and a changing pad on top, a rocking chair or glider and something to hold toys in the future. There should be no tippable furniture, no hanging cords or hinged toy boxes in the room.
  • Frankie
    hace 7 años

Under bed storage is a nice alternative in a small room too. You already have to use the floor space you might as well use it twice.

• hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    The bookshelf is safely anchored to the wall. Thanks for advice on furniture placement, we did that before and made the room seem smaller... However I understand the crib under window is bad idea.
  • hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Here is the update, what do you think??
  • btydrvn
    hace 7 años
    Wow ...what an improvement!....now maybe a splash of a light bluish gray color to go on the window wall to match the blue elements in the room..if you are artistic ....I have always loved pinstripes in a little boys room..in this case tiny vertical stripes in mixed pastels..or different shades of blue...all of this to make that wall which is the focal point ...as you enter the room ....interesting
  • hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Do you think I should add a bench to the window wall? Or maybe spice racks as bookshelves to add something to that space? I like the stripe idea :)
  • kathleen MK
    hace 7 años
    Better arrangement. I would get a more comfortable and chair and foot stool for nighttime nursing and a low light lamp.
    better yet start with a bascinet by your bed and a bedrest pillow with arm rest. this small investment will get you more rest in those early months.
  • hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you! I have a rocker in another room just because this nursery is so small.

Do you have any advice on sprucing up the bookshelf to make it look better???
  • btydrvn
    hace 7 años
    As to adding a bench or something on the wall..it is difficult to see how much space you have...I do think the small chair and table are out of sync with the scale and style of crib and changing table...a sort of chunky bench about half as long as the window ....if it will fit and is comfortable to sit on ....will also provide a nice surface to put things on temporarily....since there are no open countertop spaces in the room...the other obvious alternative option would be a very comfortable seating spot if you feel like you will need it in the room...in a tiny room like this you may want to walk the baby to a more spacious and open spot for feeding and just cuddling...finding a small enough comfy chair and squeezing it into place will be the challenge for that option...but lastly...the rule should be ...in a room this size.... Everything you add should be a useful functioning element...
  • PRO
    D-Gallerie Contemporary Art Gallery
    hace 7 años

You could add some art work to the walls like these ones we have.

They are Original paintings at accesible prices.

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Larger objects, brighter colors, more contrast:

Kids Tennis Theme · Más información
    And remove the mirror from over the crib. That just makes me cringe.

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Double up on your drapery panels, add contrast (a lot of it with darker walls), bigger brighter stuff on the shelves. It's never too young to start art appreciation.

• hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    The mirror is gone...and I updated the bookshelf, what do you think?
  • hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Do you like this pic for the wall above the changing table? Or is it too feminine for a boy room?
  • auntqueenie
    hace 7 años

You could use baskets on the bottom 2 shelves to hold extra wipes, diapers, diaper genie bags. At least for now. It's nice to display things on the shelves but dust will settle on them, so be sure to clean off regularly. My son had dust allergies so we eliminated ( bagged and stored) all stuffed animals. Those things are dust havens.

• Renee Texas
    hace 7 años

I see both the chair and little table falling over when baby begins pulling up (6-8mo).

• . .
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

How about adding some art. Not sure what style you are going for but these are pretty cute. Like the light wood frame and predominately white bg

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Hello, hellotara. The shelves are much improved! Good job on those. I love the map art for over the crib. The art is unisex. That said, please don't get trapped into feminine/masculine memes for an infant. Give him lots of stimulation, big art that he can see, lots of contrast and texture so he can start working on his discrimination skills.

• hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you everyone!! I love the room now because if your collective wisdom and skill. Thank u!!
  • hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Haven't hung it yet, but adds color!!!
  • groveraxle
    hace 7 años

The map is really wonderful. Big bonus: it's a canvas, so if he knocks it off the wall, he can learn one of Newton's laws without hurting himself!

• btydrvn
    hace 7 años
    When he gets big enough to pull the map down...mount it to the ceiling...who knows maybe as he gets older it will give him a head start on geography..
  • er612
    hace 7 años

You might consider moving the shelf to the changing table wall, just to make the closet more accessible.

• hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Do you think wood art can be in same room as canvas art???
  • K
    hace 7 años
    The room is really small/cozy. Keep it simple. No to the wood art.
  • hellotara
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Should I leave that wall bare?
  • btydrvn
    hace 7 años
    I think more art and color are fine...babies love to look at things that are stimulating and colorful...things that hang and move or make a pleasant sound are stimulating,too...
  • Sharon Veenhof
    hace 7 años
    Do you have enough room to get into the closet? I am jealous! I had 40 lbs of baby fat to get rid of after giving birth LOL!
  • Sharon Veenhof
    hace 7 años
    Call your local college art department. See if you can find a student to paint a mural on your wall. Find a scene from a story book. College students are cheap labor.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.