Houzz Logo Print
ellie_rk

Long Drapes and Baseboard Heating Question

Ellie RK
hace 7 años

I found the perfect red and white drapes for one of the guest bedrooms. They go nicely with the bright red dresser, and just really make it a really fun room.

Thing is, I have hot water baseboard heating and have heard mixed things about having drapes over the baseboard.

I already bought the curtains and hung them up this weekend. They're fine for the summer, but are they safe for the winter when the heat kicks in? Or should I take them down?

Comentarios (7)

• erinsean
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Neither type of baseboard will start a fire, but closed drapes over either type of baseboard heater will not let the heat out....it will go up the drape. If you open the drapes, no problem. I have had both electric and hot water baseboard heaters...

Ellie RK agradeció a erinsean
  • shadylady2u
    hace 7 años

You're OK with hot water heaters, but not with electric. Perhaps erinsean was lucky, but electric can start fires and fabric needs to be at least 10" away from it.

Ellie RK agradeció a shadylady2u
  • User
    hace 7 años

We once did a flip where we converted electric baseboard heating to gas forced air. When taking up the pink 70's wall to wall carpet we could see it was singed. The older lady living there said she never really used the living room much, which was a good thing because if she had she certainly would have burned her house down. Whoever installed the wall to wall carpet installed it right up to the heater.

Ellie RK agradeció a User
  • arkansas girl
    hace 7 años

I have a thread going myself because I need to replace floor length drapes that cover my heat and a/c vent that runs across the baseboards of my living room. I don't believe the hot air is hot enough to start a fire, yours may differ. My issue is that it blocks the heat and air so I'm constantly having to put them up out of the way. I would not suggest it.

Ellie RK agradeció a arkansas girl
  • Ellie RK
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks guys.

arksansas_girl - My a/c is separate from the heat. Have vents in the ceiling for the A/C.
    So I'll leave them on for the summer, and in the winter the heat only goes on when it reaches 55 (not our primary home) so I'm thinking it will be even less of an issue?

When we're there on the weekend, I'll check to see how hot it gets.

• PRO
    Universal Blinds Canada
    hace 7 años

As it's been stated already putting anything in front of your heater will stop the heat from getting into the room. What I would suggest is to have a shorter winter drape and keep the longer drapes for the summer. A great way to create two seasonal looks and you may even want line the winter drapes with a thermal lining for greater efficiency.

If that idea doesn't appeal you, consider a honeycomb blind or roman shade in your window for the winter and leave your drapes off to the side.

Honeycomb Shades · Más información

For electric baseboard heaters check with your local fire hall as to what the requirements are for the drape to be above Ex. 8", 10", 12". Each municipality will have their own rules. *This is very important if there is a fire and your drapes where the cause your home insurance may not cover you.

Ellie RK agradeció a Universal Blinds Canada
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.