Houzz Logo Print
michelle_mckenna1561204

Black or cream stove?

Michelle
hace 7 años

I think we are painting our kitchen units Purbeck stone and railings, walls are currently white. Its an open plan room and we will have a pot belly stove. We have the choice of black or cream enamel or matt black for the stove. I was going to paint the chimney breast Purbeck stone and the alcove railings behind the stove. Would we get away with a cream stove?

Comentarios (35)

• Michelle
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Good point, thanks. What would you paint the alcove behind the stove? Railings with black stove and black hearth might be too dark. It will be a working stove so any paintwork might blacken with soot and ash, so light contrasting colours probably won't be practical.

• PRO
    Catherine White Interiors
    hace 7 años

Black is a safe bet, as you won't have to struggle to match anything to it! Not sure if the stone you are talking back will match well with cream, and there will be less cleaning needed!

• PRO
    hace 7 años

And for behind the stove, consider tiles! They could add a colour "pop" or if you wanted to stay neutral, you can even get some fantastic marble/stone effect tiles which will add a bit of class to the space.

• Fran Sutton
    hace 7 años
    Hi
    Black definitely. Cream can look a bit cheep. Your look appears to be modern/ contemporary so I'd go for cream/ white or totally the other end of the scale and a bold colour.
  • Michelle
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Do you think a patterned tile like this would be ok? If I could get greyer tones.

• Fran Sutton
    hace 7 años
    Hi
    with the modern contemporary look, you have such a wide choice. Unlike me. Tiles would be lovely and so much easier to keep clean. My only advice on that is use a darkish grout, that never is easy to keep clean like tiles and re grouting is a pain. mine is all brick so I used a medium grey colour, it works a treat.
  • Fran Sutton
    hace 7 años
    Hi again if you find my pictures further down from earlier today you will see my fire place, it's not what you want in style but you can see the grout colour. hope it helps
    fran
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

Hi Michelle,

Go for whatever you love.

The black stove may be the safer bet, but I think the cream could look equally good, especially if you use a bold colour in the alcove. Tiles perhaps?

I say go with the cream stove and bold colour!

Create a cool focal point. Be different!

• mrshste
    hace 7 años

Those patterned tiles are lovely! It's going to be a very nice room.

• PRO
    hace 7 años

Hi Michelle, love the tiles! I think slightly greyer might be better if possible. Please send pics when you are done! Will be great to see the space finished!

• Geri63
    hace 7 años
    Hi Michelle, I would go with a black stove... I have been told the cream 'yellows' over time and fine cracks appear in the enamel, that stopped me going for cream. I went for matt black but now I would love to change to black enamel. I used stone tiles behind so no grout issues...see pic below.
  • Michelle
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Geri Do you find the matt hard to keep clean? Its £100 cheaper but I would imagine it looks dusty all the time. Its also a back boiler one so we need to think about the practicality of tiling around the pipes, and keep behind it clean given we cant move it.

• Geri63
    hace 7 años
    Michelle, an enamel stove can be washed with a damp cloth you can't really do that with matt. I just hoover it (when it's cold)! Once a year I spray it with a stove paint...this brings it back to looking like new. Make sure everything around it is covered down. Enamel seems a much easier option.
  • citybumblebee
    hace 7 años

Having a look around Pinterest, you might try reclaimed red brick as the back drop for the stove. Depending on the stove, I think the white enamel can look more elegant than the black:

• Vonn
    hace 7 años

I have a serious case of kitchen envy. WOW! Can't wait to see it finished.

• glendevon
    hace 7 años

We have got a matt cream stove. I wish I had gone for enamel now. It is difficult to keep clean because of the slightly roughened surface, and I think it will need respraying regularly - and the trouble with this is the smell as the paint cures when the stove is lit! Go with whatever colour you fancy, and there are some wondeful colours out there, but enamel must be better as it is so much easier to keep looking good with just a quick wipe from a damp cloth.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    hace 7 años

Judging by the window shapes and the curved feature fireplace, I would suspect that you like a modern look. As others have said, enamel is much easier to keep clean than a matt finish. Black always looks sophisticated, but shouldn't be the only black thing in the kitchen.

What colour are your worktops? If they are very dark, they will balance a black stove. Regarding the interior finish of the fireplace, consider stone slips rather than painting. If you choose ones that have the right stone colour in them, they will look very natural, but light. http://www.century-stone.co.uk/index.php/gallery/interiors

• PRO
    Kitchenpod - Temporary Kitchen Hire (Home use)
    hace 7 años

We went for cream in our own house.

For me the contrast of the black stone make it work in a neutral décor scheme

• corakeating2
    hace 7 años
    I have a bronze enamel Montfort MK 2 stove it's a beautiful stove I am sure that would be a very good choice for you.
  • walksy
    hace 7 años

Initially I chose cream for my free standing multi fuel burner, however, my builder advised it would discolour with time and would date quicker than black. See the photograph below.

• Kittihawke
    hace 7 años
    I think black work tops have started to date now that lighter coloured thinner ones are coming in. I think the cream enamel could go well with lighter work tops in the room if you chose them. The cream enamel can work well in a room with comfy pale kind of "country style" soft furnishings, hurricane lamps, woven wicker hearts etc, a more feminine look. Because you can't get more macho than a big black metal stove. A softer approach might be nicer? You could still have a strong colour paint behind the stove to set it off without going as deep as black. Maybe deep red, or navy?
  • portlandsal
    hace 7 años

I thought I wanted cream but was persuaded by our fitter that it would quickly show the dirt and in time would chip showing the black iron. I knew I didn't want black so we looked at Clearview stoves and picked a lovely slate blue one. It fits in a greeny grey Portland stone fireplace. I recommend thinking again about cream.

• PRO
    Dulwich Fires and Stoves
    hace 7 años

Hi Michelle.

Cream enamel stoves can look very nice. but are normally twice the cost of the same models in black. Also enamel is very fragile and once chipped cant be repaired, which will spoil the look. But I think if you prefer it you should go for it, just be careful during the installation. Also powder blue enamel looks very good.

• PRO
    Beacon Stoves
    hace 7 años

Ivory Enamel Jotul F100

Blue Black Enamel Jotul F3

White Enamel Jotul F163

I feel if you want something to be aesthetic and pleasing to the eye then enamelled products are the way to go, there are quite a few different colour options now from different manufacturers. Yes, they do chip but we see no reason for them to ever chip so long as you're careful with them. We have 6 enamelled stoves on display in our showroom and none have chipped thus far.

Modern enamelling doesn't fade or yellow over time, if the stove is kept in good condition and is used fairly regularly it won't crack either as the cracking is caused by moisture building underneath the enamel.

If you would like to ask me any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Rich @ Beacon

• PRO
    Raven Stoves
    hace 7 años

Hello We always say why have a black box when there are so many choices out there. Pick a good quality cast iron stove with Ivory enamel like Jotul with 25 year warranty

• PRO
    Yarlet stoves.
    hace 7 años

We find our clients like both black and cream stoves

• lkirk44
    hace 7 años
    I would go for cream stove elegant looking with the colours you have chosen and maybe use slate tiles behind fire and hearth a lovely big room
  • PRO
    Yarlet stoves.
    hace 7 años

I personally prefer the new chesney's autumn leaf or the Woodwarm Brown

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

Our customers seem to prefer blacks stoves, always a safe bet!

• PRO
    The Snug Ltd
    hace 7 años

Enamel is easy to clean but if it gets damaged (eg by overfiring the stove or chipping a corner), its appearance will be permanently spoiled. Stoves with a sprayed finish are trickier to keep clean but they can at least be resprayed every now and again to renew the appearance.

• PRO
    Greenflame Installations Ltd
    hace 7 años

Our customers always tend to go for black. I do think the white and cream colours look great in the right setting but are hard to keep clean and if they are ceramic they are likely to chip and mark easily.

• PRO
    the stove room ltd
    hace 7 años

We find that we're selling more and more white/cream enamel stoves, but black is always a classic look.

• PRO
    Ards Fireplaces
    hace 7 años

From experience we would sell a lot more matt black stove. However i personal think a enamel coloured stove can be more of a feature in a room so it really depends if you want your stove to be the main feature of the room. I personal love this cream enamel look.

• PRO
    Yarlet stoves.
    hace 7 años

We Find That the Chesneys Parchment is quite popular and white ceramic freestanders such as drooff.

The Problem with most other enameled stoves is once there chipped there chipped and we personally try not to reccomend them.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.