Houzz Logo Print
mark617

Help: Carpet Suggestions - 1st Time Carpet Purchase

mark617
hace 7 años

Help - I am putting new carpet in my master bedroom and prefer a very soft feel, with ability to withstand high traffic...I don't much care for the trend of low pile carpets, rather more of a shag/plush type with good padding. I am looking for a long term carpet, and I know so many options exist, but this will be my first time purchasing carpet. Any brands I should look at initially? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Comentarios (16)

• PRO
    Adrian S. Cutchshaw Architectural Design+Build
    hace 7 años

I have five children and we have a medium length shag carpet in their bedrooms, our master bedroom, and in the play room. It is very soft and believe it or not, it is easy to vacuum and clean. We've had it for about five years and it still looks brand new. It is so inviting that all of our friends kick off their shoes to walk on it. We bought ours at Home Depot. They installed it too. It was very affordable.

mark617 agradeció a Adrian S. Cutchshaw Architectural Design+Build
  • Debp
    hace 7 años
    One of the most important things - get the best underlay available. You don't see it, but it makes a huge difference in the feel of your carpet.
    mark617 agradeció a Debp
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 años

I would not do wall to wall carpet if you are planning on selling in the next 5 yrs but that said a shag ina bedroom probably okay

mark617 agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • mark617
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Beverly, I am struggling with this and many other decisions, hahaha...I have considered continuing the wood floors into master bedroom, but I hate to pay for beautiful engineered hardwood and then cover it up :) The room is not huge, and with king size bed, 2 night stands, 2 dressers and a settee, there is not much to see. I am definitely running the wood into the guest bedrooms, as they are off a hallway and the floors flowing together are a nice look. Those doors are open about 99% of the time and wont need an area rug, just a runner on the sides of the bed.

• Maureen
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

After reading up on different types of carpets, we were 100% sure that wool was the best choice and selected a carpet made in New Zealand and there is lots of information on the internet around its qualities and options. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/just-shorn-new-zealand-wool-fr-137884

mark617 agradeció a Maureen
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Mark617 I understand the inclination to go with wall to wall for the master bedroom, but I have to say that based on your list of furnishings for that room, you have a storage problem that requires attention before you do the flooring. Don't know the size of your room or closets, but that is too much furniture for most rooms. Clothes belong in closets.

I am an advocate of bachelor chests for nightstands, ESPECIALLY for king size beds as they balance the size of the bed. Other than one more dresser, perhaps to hold some items, possibly a TV if you have one in the room, a small chair, that should be about it unless you have a 20 ft bedroom. Think about paring down your look to give your room the proper face lift. Purge, purge, purge. It makes you feel so much lighter.

mark617 agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • hmac84
    hace 7 años

I know that wood floors have been "in" but I feel the trend is going to start going back to carpet. I will be putting carpet in my bedrooms, its easier to clean and is so much nicer on your bare feet and since it doesn't get that much traffic, carpet in my opinion is the best option! Not to mention easier to install and easier on the wallet!

mark617 agradeció a hmac84
  • mark617
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I will post a couple of photos later today when I get home...the room does not feel small to me, but I understand your point. Currently there is a yellow hue laminate on the floor...so that is going regardless of the new flooring choice :)

• mark617
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Beverly,

I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get good shots...so here are the dimensions and a quick sketch:

15 x 15.5 Feet

I do think after studying the room and taking measurements for the sketch that you are correct...I think I need to lose one or both of the dressers. Maybe mount the TV on the wall and move the settee under the TV?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

This would be my suggestion for this room.

• mark617
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I like it, is that an ottoman or a chair in the corner? And, by the way, you are a magician, not sure how you did that, but very cool.

So, you would still suggest the wood, but go with a larger area rug?

Thank you

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Yes, instead of the settee, I'm suggesting a chair in the corner. Here is the size of your room with an 9x12 rug. That proportion seems correct for the size fo the room.

• PRO
    Koeber's Interiors: Flooring, Furniture, Windows
    hace 7 años

Nylon is an excellent fiber for wear ability. You have to keep in mind the softer the carpet, the quicker we see it can fray and wear. A nylon has the ability to spring back to it's original form in main traffic areas unlike other fibers. Stainmaster Trusoft Nylon is excellent. Otherwise I have a link to a couple of favorite styles for a plusher feel. A thicker pile gives a better "cushiony" feel rather than a softer thread can (after all you'll be walking on your carpet, not on your hands and knees feeling it with your hand).

Since it's your first time, try a more local store to actually have help in the process. and start research by looking for honest carpet buying tips and maybe a great company in your area on this website.. http://www.carpetprofessor.com/ Many of our customers find us on this site and he actually has awesome information that's 100% honest.

-Ideas::

http://www.dixie-home.com/web/forms/productdetail.aspx?sId=G5256&cId=81718

http://www.maslandcarpets.com/forms/productdetail.aspx?sId=9550&cId=855

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/carpet/details/elegant-form-iii-15--e0311/driftwood

http://www.maslandcarpets.com/forms/productdetail.aspx?sId=9459&cId=061 (short shag style)

Hope this helps.

Good luck on your project!

mark617 agradeció a Koeber's Interiors: Flooring, Furniture, Windows
  • Ramona
    hace 7 años

wall to wall is unhealthy. we need rugs which can be taken up and thoroughly cleaned. the dust around the edges of the room is enough to make you sick.

stick with natural fibers

mark617 agradeció a Ramona
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    hace 7 años

I'm a wool fan.

mark617 agradeció a Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.