Houzz Logo Print
m3vk

Am I crazy for considering a cream sofa

m k
hace 8 años
Trying to decide between these 2 sofas for this space. I have 2 young kids so I'm concerned about keeping it clean. It's not our main living area but the kids obviously will still have access to it. Am I crazy for considering cream?

Comentarios (30)

• m k
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    If I get the blue sofa, will I get sick of it in a few years?
  • Bev
    hace 8 años

I also love cream furnishings but if I still had small children at home, I would reconsider and get something that is easy to clean. Is this cream sofa easy to clean? Lazy Boy furniture is very easy to clean and you can even clean blood off a light sofa (my son cut his hand and got blood on my sofa). You get a cleaning kit when you purchase the furniture.

• m k
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I'm not sure if the fabric is easy to keep clean.
  • samayyz
    hace 8 años

I have 3 kids and we go through a new sofa every 5 years because our furniture gets heavily used. I wouldn't touch the cream but is the blue easy to clean? Cleaning is very important.

• einportlandor
    hace 8 años

Another consideration for light colored upholstered furniture is clothing -- does your family often wear denim jeans? I had a great sofa upholstered in pale yellow cotton which, over time, darkened where butts and thighs rubbed against the fabric. Might not be a problem with synthetic fabrics, but you might want to do some research. It was an expensive lesson for me.

• leelee
    hace 8 años

You are not limited to those two choices. It doesn't have to be cream or navy. You might be able to order the cream sofa in a little more forgiving color. The style of the first sofa is better.

• leelee
    hace 8 años

einportland is right. I've had fabric transfer color from a pair of dark new jeans to a pair of lighter linen pants while just folded in a drawer.

• m k
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    That room is completely unfurnished right now. Except for the sofas I'm donating.
    The foyer adjacent to this space has this fixture: http://www.crystorama.com/crystorama-solaris-6-light-silver-sphere-chandelier-iii_1398.aspx#.VwqYfBllDqA

Oh there's a black piano in there.
    There will be a dining table on the other side of this room but don't have one there yet. The light fixture in the dining area will also be changed.
  • m k
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
  • PRO
    Alyson Flynn & Associates
    hace 8 años
    Consider white leather. My living room sofas are white leather and they are very easy to clean. House full of kids and pets. Family room sectional is a dark burgundy leather. I tried a dozen different fabric couches over the years but they all ended up looking stained and worn-out within months. My leather furniture seems to just get better looking with age.
  • erinsean
    hace 8 años

I was going to suggest leather also. So easy to clean and look nice.

• PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    hace 8 años

Yes...you are crazy for considering a creme sofa. LOL. It will be beautiful for a few minutes and then you will be scratching your head wondering what you were thinking! Not only will it get dirty you will be nervous waiting for it to get dirty! Navy is beautiful with light patterned pillows.

• Trish
    hace 8 años

I went with tweed due to kids. Held up beautifully. White leather is chic though.

• m k
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I have to think about white leather. It seems like it wouldn't be as comfy. I don't want to do tweed in a formal living room.

If I go with the blue sofa, I need to coordinate the dining room chairs with it since it's the same room. How do people have upholstered chairs especially light colored ones in a formal dining room in a house with kids (and a messy husband!)?

We have a nook in the kitchen where we usually eat but when the kids have friends over or we have family over we have to use the dining room for meals.

Annie, your work is beautiful btw!
  • m k
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    puremichigan, it's the Ian sectional from Room and Board in a charcoal fabric.

I like clean lines...my style is probably modern classic /transitional. My husband's is traditional so I am trying to marry the two somehow.
  • priscillawernick
    hace 8 años

More important than the color of the fabric is the kind of fabric selected. If it is silk or something similar that is delicate, you will have a disaster. I have had a heavy duty thick velour-like kind of cream colored material for years on my 8 way hand tied sofa, and it has held up well. Children should not be eating or drinking kinds of foods that stain deeply, but a few crumbs, etc. can quickly be cleaned up.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Gordon Tufted Sofa, Blue Leather · Más información
    Blue leather...for your room, definitely.

• m k
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    It will be used infrequently tbh. Reading room and for when we have guests over.
  • Ruth Ann Widner
    hace 8 años
    We replaced our cream sofa with a high quality linen-like one. This more textured fabric is more forgiving, yet still bright. It's heavily used and still looking good. I say go for it!
  • printesa
    hace 8 años

We have a tweed like orange sofa from Ligne Roset..we got it 9 years ago (the kids were much younger then:)) and it looks just as great as it looked then. The covers do come off, but I didn't have to clean them. I vacuum it and take the covers from time to time outside to give them a shake. You might consider something that has removable covers. Kids don't really mess the sofas if they are not allowed to eat there

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

a few thoughts

a slight pattern on a light color will hide more messes than a solid dark color.

we have a 20 year old couch that has a washable cream canvas slipcover, still looks great, the cushion the cat sleeps on gets washed more often than the rest but still has held up wonderfully.

make eating not allowed on that couch if you go with a light color. make shoes not allowed on the couch. same rule for kids and husband.

i dont understand white upholstered chairs in dining rooms. even adults have slightly greasy hands when pushing their chair back in.

• PRO
    Design 2 Homestaging by MGM
    hace 8 años

Nothing wrong with a cream/white sofa, I would scotch guard it, to protect and easier cleaning, also make sure, that you can take the covers off for cleaning. And teach the kids not to eat on sofas and to take their shoes off, this worked here.

• Daria Wild
    hace 8 años

I think the type of fabric is so important here. I have two large dogs that get muddy paws and jump in the couch before I can catch them! And a husband who falls asleep with ice cream on his lap. I started with a cream linen couch that got destroyed! And washing just made the fabric bumpy and weird.

I got a light gray sofa from pottery barn in their performance tweed fabric which comes in many colors, and I love it! It cleans so easily! So if you want a light color just be careful with your fabric choice. And I would highly recommend the pottery barn performance tweed.

• dsgts
    hace 7 años

MK, do you have any photos of your final selection?

Daria, I'd love to hear more about your performance tweed fabric? How is it holding up?

• m k
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Room is still a work in progress but I'm happy with the sofa.
  • Renee Texas
    hace 7 años

we have a white/cream with 4 kids- spots/stains have never been an issue. Food/drinks are kept at the table/island, and only water is drank during the day; milk at the table during meals. Hands are always washed before being "released" LOL!

• dsgts
    hace 7 años

MK, that is a lovely sofa. I hope you will continue to post photos as you progress. It's exciting to see your room come together.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    hace 7 años

Glad you didn't go with the tan colored one. The colors really didn't work together with the walls. The one you got is very nice.

If you're looking for artwork, check out our work here: www.ShoaGallery.com Many sizes, as well as colors in your scheme available.

Some suggestions below.

Enjoy decorating!

• printesa
    hace 7 años

I really like the sofa you got. The room is coming together

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.